AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2016-12-22, 15:45   Link #381
Brother Coa
Banned

But Japan don't have need to as it still has protection of the USA.

However, if Trump is serious about pulling troops back home ( even from Japan and South Korea ). Then this are just the first steps.

Also it's no secret that Japan has been looking into returning the glorious days of it's military. Only it is patient with that decision.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-22, 17:24   Link #382
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
But Japan don't have need to as it still has protection of the USA.

However, if Trump is serious about pulling troops back home ( even from Japan and South Korea ). Then this are just the first steps.

Also it's no secret that Japan has been looking into returning the glorious days of it's military. Only it is patient with that decision.
Let's not mince words and make it clear that USA had been publicly and loudly asked Japan to play a bigger part in regional security. Japan's military expansion at least in part is encouraged by America as it currently stands.

Of course there are Hawks in Japan, but you are trying to pretend Japan would have dared done this without American approval. Remember that they had to fight their own politicians to even break the 1% cap. This isn't some unilateral decision, America literally asked for this.
Old 2016-12-23, 02:34   Link #383
Brother Coa
Banned

US has some influence over it, I agree ( especially after early 2000's wars when they saw how much they spent on them and how low NATO allies payed for their protection ). But there is also the factor of Japanese wanting to return to their old glory - Imperial times. Those times an that feel never really exit their nation, even after their defeat in WW2.

I am not talking about Hawks or similar extremist to them, i am talking about nation as a whole. Same like Russians who want days of good old USSR back ( no Communism this time, only power ) and British who still mourn over the loss of their Empire.

US saw that in Japanese and decided to give them a little push. Having one more armed ally is not a bad thing in times of crisis. Especially since Japan is 8'th world spender of military budget, and it basically only has good national guard equivalent of an army.

So yeah, I can see their expenses for military budget going beyond 2% in the future.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-21, 07:42   Link #384
Key Board
Carbon

"They agreed on advancing talks on the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, or RCEP. The 16 member countries include Japan, China, and Southeast Asian countries, but not the United States."

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20161229_06/

Trade war not looking good
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-21, 08:40   Link #385
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I see China as possibly one of the main beneficiaries of Trump's election. American commentators focus on the proposed tariffs and the like, but as these talks show, America's withdrawal from Asia and Europe will create power vacuums that China and Russia can exploit. The TPP was an effort to thwart China's efforts to build a regional trade pact, the RCEP, on its terms. The collapse of the TPP can only advantage the Chinese. Xi's speech at Davos on globalization was similarly designed to isolate a Trump-led America and help promote China to a global leadership role.

One doesn't survive and advance in a Communist state without strong political skills. Trump has little more than bluster.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-22, 07:40   Link #386
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

To think that Russia and China are friends and allies? Give me a break. That's nonsense.

If you seriously think both truly are, Russia would have entrusted their latest military technology to them. But in reality, Russia entrusts even more to India instead. Aircraft carrier Liaoning don't count, as it was a deal with Ukraine instead.

In all seriousness, Japan needs to be multipolar pivot, and I supports strengthening the Russia-Japan relations. It's the only way to maintain the balance between global powers.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-22, 09:22   Link #387
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
To think that Russia and China are friends and allies? Give me a break. That's nonsense.

If you seriously think both truly are, Russia would have entrusted their latest military technology to them. But in reality, Russia entrusts even more to India instead. Aircraft carrier Liaoning don't count, as it was a deal with Ukraine instead.

In all seriousness, Japan needs to be multipolar pivot, and I supports strengthening the Russia-Japan relations. It's the only way to maintain the balance between global powers.
Japan should lead the TPP now actually, now that its also joining RCEP as a counterweight to China. TPP was a good idea ruined by ridiculous special interest laws on anti-internet privacy and investor-state lawsuit mechanisms amongst other things courtesy of America. It's a welcome third option for the rest of Asia if Japan fills the (economic) void left by the US since TPP or China is devil or hard place deal
Old 2017-01-22, 11:32   Link #388
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
Was that comment directed at me? I never said that, nor do I believe it. Russia and China continue to be rivals in some parts of the globe, and I suspect the Chinese, like the Europeans, are disturbed by Trump's bromance with Putin. If China continues to expand its global role through trade and investment, I could see a rapprochement between the European Community and China. That whole process could be accelerated were the Russians to attempt to annex one or more of the Baltic states or expand their presence in Ukraine.
Old 2017-01-23, 14:36   Link #389
rladls2121

Who wouldn't want to make their country great again.

Recently, there are more Slogans like, "Buy Americans and Hire Americans" in US.
Make me wonder if Japan possibly be affected by this kind of mindset?
I feel it is really subjective.
"Make America Great Again", whatever it means depending on people, it sounds really grand.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-23, 17:06   Link #390
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Japan to Lower Residency Requirements for Foreign Workers

Quote:
Within the proposal, the required number of years to live in Japan before a foreigner can apply for permanent residency will be reduced from 10 years to three years. Individuals who accumulate 80 points based on various factors, including academic background, career history, and income will be put on a one-year fast track for residency. The current rules require five years.

New criteria will also be added that will contribute to the point system, such as employment in technology and other growth industries, graduating from a top university, and a career as a big-money investor.
Old 2017-01-28, 14:53   Link #391
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
A bit OT I guess, but is this a move to solve Japan's population problem? I kind of want to contribute to that solution, if ever.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-28, 15:25   Link #392
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
A bit OT I guess, but is this a move to solve Japan's population problem? I kind of want to contribute to that solution, if ever.
Japan has a labour shortage. There are 20% more foreign workers this year than last year.

The number had been climbing for 4 straight years, mostly in construction. Most are Chinese and the 2nd group is from Vietnam.

On the population problem, I think it is pretty clear that Japan would rather shrink than fixing it. And number 1 solution is to change the cultural view of women in the work place and the lack of childcare.
That's why more immigrants was not on the table. Japan is losing population because the nation refuse to deal with the reality, that the traditional house wife doesn't function at this point. Helping women to both keep a job and assist in child rearing at the same time is how every other major nation deal with, but Japan still stubbornly choose otherwise.

Every nations has priorities. Japan just decided that a population decline is an acceptable price to pay, to force women to quit their jobs when they get pregnant.
Old 2017-01-28, 15:47   Link #393
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think the lack of adequate child-care is an important deterrent. Demand for childcare exceeds supply by over 20,000 places. Japan actually has very generous maternal leave policies, though many women find returning to the workforce a difficult task regardless of the law. There is even a coined term for it, "matahara" or "maternity harassment."

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...vicious-cycle/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ssment-at-work

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2017-01-28 at 16:09.
Old 2017-01-28, 16:28   Link #394
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think the lack of adequate child-care is an important deterrent. Demand for childcare exceeds supply by over 20,000 places. Japan actually has very generous maternal leave policies, though many women find returning to the workforce a difficult task regardless of the law. There is even a coined term for it, "matahara" or "maternity harassment."
If I am allowed to come up with conspiracies, I would have suggested that a generous maternity leave is simply an excuse to remove a woman from her office, to better justify not letting her back in once she vacated.

And of course, the culture against working mothers is very real as you stated. My link in my previous post had the government claiming they are trying to have more women in the work place to combat labour shortage, but one questions how seriously they really are about it.

I believe the Japanese people are not ignorant, and is well aware of what they are doing. That they are still shrinking in population because it was an acceptable consequence they allowed to happen. The government certainly isn't panicking.
Old 2017-01-28, 17:09   Link #395
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I believe the Japanese people are not ignorant, and is well aware of what they are doing. That they are still shrinking in population because it was an acceptable consequence they allowed to happen.
If I pose myself as the devil's advocate, I would ask the following question: why would it be acceptable for Japan to let its population shrink while China went in the opposite direction by allowing second children in families should concerns of overcrowding be real for both countries?

For the record, shrinking the population is never a good solution if you want a country's economy to remain at the top. How can they expect to stay among the top if they don't renew their working population? I believe there has to be an open war versus a culture that holds against working mothers; I mean we're in 2017, for crying out loud! Some dinosaurs need to be flushed out for a country's progress.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2017-01-28 at 17:24.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-28, 17:12   Link #396
Key Board
Carbon

I am under the impression that the population is shrinking is because of
1) higher education
2) demanding work hours

ultimately resulting in not being motivated in having kids / family

am I wrong?
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-28, 20:01   Link #397
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I am under the impression that the population is shrinking is because of
1) higher education
2) demanding work hours

ultimately resulting in not being motivated in having kids / family

am I wrong?
You forget some stuff. Besides those,

1) women aren't gonna go to school to get a career and just throw that all away by having children
2) cost to buy a house is too high. Pay isn't that good for a place with Such a high cost of living
3) inadequate child / daycares
4) herbivore men
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-28, 21:08   Link #398
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
4) herbivore men
I went "lol wut?" on this. Dem otaku perhaps?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-28, 21:25   Link #399
rladls2121

I think it meant vegetarians.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-28, 21:28   Link #400
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
4) herbivore men
The simple solution is carnivorous women