AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-28, 06:51   Link #1
pinomustfly

I'm looking for something similar to Monster?

Hi. It's been a while since I last posted here on the forum, but now I need some help.
I've been watching lots of anime for many years, but the last year or so, I've mostly watched action series like Black Lagoon, Gundam, Blood, Witchblade and so on.

What I'm looking for now, is a anime that is a little closer to the ground. The first anime that came to mind is Monster, which doesn't contain super-duper stuff and so on. It also has great character development (in my eyes), and a very good storyline. I'm not looking for fantasy stuff like Utawarerumono either. And not series that are very "out there" like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (good series, btw).

So, does anyone have a suggestion?
Old 2006-07-28, 08:56   Link #2
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Good luck. I've been looking for something like Monster for a while now.

The closest I've found is Paranoia Agent and Serial Experiments Lain - and they're both more "out there" than not.

You might try Great Detectives Poirot and Marple - based on the mysteries of Agatha Christie. I like it a fair amount, but I know others aren't as fond of it.
Old 2006-07-28, 09:50   Link #3
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

If you like manga and manage to find 20th Century Boys which is from the creator of the Monster manga that would be the closest you would get to what you want, IMO.
As for anime with great character development and "not out there" in the sense of actually trying not to break a law of physics every few minutes in the way Gundam does it - I'd suggest Planetes.

Old 2006-07-28, 10:22   Link #4
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Oh yeah, totally forgot Planetes - it's science fiction, but very real world, near future science fiction.
Old 2006-07-28, 11:20   Link #5
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
if you want a decent investigation in a very strange town give a try to Kaze no Yojimbo.
Old 2006-07-28, 11:52   Link #6
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Hmm, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it. You should check out Master Keaton. It's also by Naoki Urasawa, although it is much more episodic in nature, although it is still very good. It's licensed, though, so you'll have to track down the DVDs.
Closed Thread