AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-08-02, 02:25   Link #81
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The Society for Creative Anachronisms ... its been around a few decades in many countries. Its purpose is to research and recreate medieval arts, crafts, and combat.
I make chainmail, for example (my wife calls it "industrial knitting").
It also involves recreation of battles (thats the whacking the crap out of people who are trying to whack you part). There are a lot of safety rules and weapon construction techniques, but there are groups that work with live steel.
Google away...
Old 2006-08-02, 02:53   Link #82
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi
1) Mahoraba ~Heartful days~ is as many have pointed out a HAREM ANIME.
Mahoraba is definately NOT a harem anime. Not that there's anything wrong with harem, I happen to enjoy the genre, but I hate seeing a show get mislabeled like this. Especially Mahoraba, as it happens all to often...

Mahoraba is a light romantic comedy, targeted at guys, but that does not make it harem. For an anime to be harem, there needs to be a male character with several potental love interests. In Mahoraba, Shiratori has an interest in only one girl, Kozue-chan and only she has an interest in him. There are no other potential love interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
The Society for Creative Anachronisms ... its been around a few decades in many countries. Its purpose is to research and recreate medieval arts, crafts, and combat.
It also involves recreation of battles (thats the whacking the crap out of people who are trying to whack you part). There are a lot of safety rules and weapon construction techniques, but there are groups that work with live steel.
Google away...
Hmm... Sounds interesting... *goes to consult google*
Old 2006-08-02, 03:06   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Mahoraba is not a "harem" but has some vague similarity in that:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-02, 03:06   Link #84
Lost

Quote:
Google away...
Dont you have to work to support your family or something!! SCA.. Animes.. Where do you get the time?? Jk.

As for the Satanic thing, bullcrap I say! It actually sounds like fun. After all, ultimately it is still a hobby/interest, and to me, no one can make you change your interests if you dont want to. I've seen those recreations on the Discovery Channel, not too sure if it was the Local SCA tho; but they look like hella fun.. all that screaming and long beards and whacking!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 04:36   Link #85
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Mahoraba is not a "harem" but has some vague similarity in that:
Spoiler:
You have a point there. Though I wonder...
Spoiler:

Well, regardless, I'll admit Mahoraba is harem like in some respects. If it wasn't, people wouldn't confuse it for one. However, people tend to here the word harem and think it means the series is complete crap. Thus, I make an effort to point out how it isn't whenever the harem label comes up for it. Though, since I like harem, it really shouldn't bother me.

BTW, how much roleplaying is actually involved in the SCA? Is it just on a personal level, or does it extend to the actual kingdoms? Do the various kingdoms have political relations, mock battles and the like, with the exchange of border lands through conquest or diplomacy? For example, a battle between kingdoms at a major event, where the loser has to give up a "disputed area". Could someone, say pull a Hakuoro and overthrow one of the kingdoms? I'd guess not, as something like that would be very difficult to organize, but it would be great if it was allowed.

Like Lost, I don't see how anyone could think it was satanic... Then again, I'm sure it's possible to find at least one person who thinks any given thing is satanic.
Old 2006-08-02, 06:19   Link #86
mit7059

Sorry, havent even read all the posts yet, I'll be back to post later, right now I've got to go to court

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 08:06   Link #87
DaFool
Resident devil

Technically, medieval stuff is pagan. Pagan / New Age technically is outside of the Judeo-Christian tradition, therefore cannot be labelled Satanic, since Satan only exists in the Judeo-Christian tradition. However, there are some threads that tie paganism with druidism and the old Babylonic religions. To conservative Christianity, these seemingly heretic witchcraft practices are Biblically condemned, therefore they are Satanic.

Okay...that was way off topic...

I am also slightly annoyed by the recent wave of anti-mecha fanboys. I mean, sure, you like nice, relationship-based, slice-of-life anime, good for you, but doesn't mean that the other genre is automatically bad just because it is so. Some mecha shows are pretty good imo. Sure a person is justified if s/he only likes romance (or only drama or only action or only adventure). But since anime nowadays is all of the above, it makes more sense to like good action, good romance, good drama, good adventure, the best from each, and the best at them all.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 08:07   Link #88
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ehhhhh, they used to say D&D was satanic though people in it seem to spend a lot of time pretending to vaporize the undead ... ignorance, fear of the different -- the usual villians.

I'm afraid the SCA thing is derailing the thread. If ya'll have any questions that can't be answered at the SCA site you can PM me.
Briefly (then I'll say no more), yeah there's a lot of roleplay, there's a "royal" hierarchy, battles and tourneys take place between kingdoms (but for trophies or bragging rights, the bookkeepers would revolt if someone tried to transfer "lands"). Technically, the group focuses on the Elizabethean period but there are subcultures that focus on Early Middle Age and Dark Age. Some folks like to focus on Eastern cultures but ninjas will usually garner giggles. Since my persona is late Dark Age Norse (950-1100AD), my wife will sometimes dress as a Mongol woman imported by the Viking trade from the Mediterranean. My older son has a Saracen type persona. My younger son hasn't really decided so he's just generic fighter so far. Legally, you have to be 18 to participate in the full combat but they have training and "nerfed" duels for the younger set.

@dafool: I haven't noticed a wave of *anti-mecha* (maybe I frequent the wrong threads).
What I tend to see a lot of is a mecha-fan attitude ("any show without mecha sucks") that causes me to respond "mecha in the show doesn't automatically *make* it good". There are excellent shows out there that have mecha as an element ... I just don't care for the shows that focus on the equipment to the exclusion of story. I also prefer mecha that follow some reasonable laws of engineering instead of just pure fantasy (more nimble than a ballet dancer). I'd like to see more live-action science fiction involving mecha as story element (Casshern had some nice bits).

Someone characterized the Nanoha series as "a mecha series substituting moe girls for large machines" ... I'm not sure thats so far offbase

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-08-02 at 08:34.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 08:27   Link #89
Lost

Lol! Aren't undead Satanic!!?? Anyhow, I was thinking that you all battled for control of the different SCA's clubhouses. (and no more on this from me too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
I am also slightly annoyed by the recent wave of anti-mecha fanboys. I mean, sure, you like nice, relationship-based, slice-of-life anime, good for you, but doesn't mean that the other genre is automatically bad just because it is so. Some mecha shows are pretty good imo. Sure a person is justified if s/he only likes romance (or only drama or only action or only adventure). But since anime nowadays is all of the above, it makes more sense to like good action, good romance, good drama, good adventure, the best from each, and the best at them all.
Actually, if someone wants to be an anti-mecha fanboy, he's my guest to be one. What I'd hate is if the anti-mecha fanboy thought that his was the only correct view in the world and went around trying to convince everyone who would care to listen that mecha is bad for you, dont watch it because it sucks, etc etc.

Basically, I'm fine with anti-mecha fanboys (or anti-haruhi fanboys, or pro-mecha fanboys or whatever fanboys) that do not try to dogmatically influence others to see it their way.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-08-02 at 08:40.
Old 2006-08-02, 09:07   Link #90
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
A lot of this reminds me of an issue that came up on another forum a few days ago. "Does playing a female avatar on an mmorpg mean you have confused sexual identity?" Considering that 2/3s of males play a female avatar, no I would say not. This is essentially the same topic. The issue isn't there unless you make it be there.
Old 2006-08-02, 09:44   Link #91
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Woo! Speeding Ticket dismissed! Well I'm $200 richer than i thought i would be. The only real genre I really really don't like is Yaoi, I've only been mentioning the series that I've watched that made me feel somewhat awkward. There are some good or great mech animes like Eureka seveN or Patlabor, but then there are awful mech series such as Gundam SEED Destiny. I watch a wide range of anime, as you can see if you click the link in my profile.

As for the reason for this post, a lot of what people are saying has already occured to me, sure I may watch more than an hour a day watching anime, some times I'll spend all day watching anime, but it's really not something I talk about with my friends who arn't interested in anime. The doubts I was having were probably due to my own immaturity and insecurity. I'm not really that worried about it. But its good to know that if I'm ever feeling lost the anime community will support me

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 10:50   Link #92
Epi
Otaku++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Well, regardless, I'll admit Mahoraba is harem like in some respects. If it wasn't, people wouldn't confuse it for one. However, people tend to here the word harem and think it means the series is complete crap. Thus, I make an effort to point out how it isn't whenever the harem label comes up for it. Though, since I like harem, it really shouldn't bother me.
True you have a point. Mahoraba is 'harem' like Love Hina is 'harem', or like how Ai Yori Aoishi is 'harem'. It's not a H-game conversion anime in any respect.

I guess light romantic comedy would also work for me.

Either way I liked the show (and I kind of like harem shows too)
Old 2006-08-02, 11:09   Link #93
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
I'm not really that worried about it. But its good to know that if I'm ever feeling lost the anime community will support me
Hey, its a great feeling to be part of a community like this, especially one with all the clear and cool-headed posters (at least the majority) that came forward in this thread! Glad to help you anyway (well, I hoped I did!), and sure, you can always count on me when I'm uh.. not.. lost...

So I guess case closed? Or is the battle against stereotypic friends/dogmatic fanboys a neverending one!
Old 2006-08-02, 11:14   Link #94
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrenuit
A lot of this reminds me of an issue that came up on another forum a few days ago. "Does playing a female avatar on an mmorpg mean you have confused sexual identity?" Considering that 2/3s of males play a female avatar, no I would say not. This is essentially the same topic. The issue isn't there unless you make it be there.
No, they are different issues. That MMO issue is actually getting a lot of study for some reason while nobody studies if people have issues by watching shows that aren't targeted at them. (See: teenagers watching adultswim).
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 11:59   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi
True you have a point. Mahoraba is 'harem' like Love Hina is 'harem', or like how Ai Yori Aoishi is 'harem'. It's not a H-game conversion anime in any respect.

I guess light romantic comedy would also work for me.

Either way I liked the show (and I kind of like harem shows too)
yeah.... I've always called such shows "romantic comedies" because... that's what they are --- there's a long stream of such things in the cinema from the 30s,40s, 50s, and 60s. Heck, REC explicitly refers to the Grant/Hepburn classics. Though I'd have to say the japanese-style of romantic comedies often have some major angst and tragedy lurking in the corners.

"harem" is so often misused it doesn't really have a meaning outside of direct ero-game conversions where the lead male gets to bonk 'em all ... and about half the time the user is using it pejoratively.