AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-16, 06:36   Link #1
SeQ

Emphasis on Story and Characters

As the topic states I'm looking for anime that has strong characters and interesting relationship developements, with deep story that doesn't seem like it has been 'glued over'. May sound overly demanding, but it really shouldn't. There are some good examples of success in these categories, like Rurouni Kenshin - Reminiscence, Monster, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Haibane Renmei and GunGrave (especially 'past' part). There are others, but these reflect adequately the best of different genres (in my humble opinion).

Reminiscence is overall one of the best animes I have seen, real characters with effortless relationship developement, very moving story and amazing scenery and artistic approach to the animation.

Monster is long, but still very worth while to watch. No other anime I have seen, keeps the story and characters interesting so long, with out flops and too slow pacing.

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien has very real relationships and responses, that give the anime enjoyable , close to real life atmosphere. Best romance anime I have come
across.

Haibane Renmei, really unique anime. Amazingly dreamlike feeling to it with excelently suitable overall art-style.

GunGrave, the story progresses in good pace and the strong story and characters help to correct the animes weakness. Witch is in my opinion the jump from real-life like surroundings and events to overly supernatural setting. This maybe even prefable to others, but it didn't work so well for me.

(I'll should also mention NGE, because it's in it's genre great, but I don't think it compares to these examples above. Cowboy Bebob should also be mentioned, but I think GunGrave covers that ground better as an example.)

Now, these examples give on other dimension that I would like emphasise as important, atmosphere. This is more subjective category, although I would highly appriciate your input on this part aswell. In sort, something that doesn't leave me indifferent after watching the serie.

I'm not that interested in the technical side (audio, animation etc.) as long as it doesn't affect too negatively the elements already mentioned. I also don't mind few cliches in the characters or even in the story, but orginality is always +.

There are no genre or 'world' (can't remember the right word for this) requirements, I have no problems with drama or action / supernatural or space based animes as long as they don't lack in the story/character side. At the moment I'm open to any suggestions.

Any help is appriciated.

Although explaining the 'why this anime?' is preferable.

( edit : 'few' corrections that contribute positively to the reading experience )

Last edited by SeQ; 2006-08-16 at 13:03.
Old 2006-08-16, 08:19   Link #2
Lost

If focus on characters and their relationships is what you are looking for, I have to recommend planetes because that focuses almost exclusively on character development.

Its about a small ragtag band of underachieving space-debris collectors. It has a great space atmosphere and realistic detail to technical aspects; from the OP alone, you see that the series project staff did very extensive research into space-suits, spaceships, rockets and so on. Animation and drawings are on the very realistic side; so no big-eye loli-moe here.

There is no single cohesive plot thru the whole, nor are their major plot arcs, but thats because focus is on the characters. Each episode develops a certain aspect of each character (you could say its somewhat episodic), and each does it very well in portraying their motivations, fears, beliefs, prejudices and relationships. Further, they all come together in a short final climax at the end of this 26 episode series.

Overall, I can say that each episode was superb and I thoroughly enjoyed each single one.

planetes is vintage 2003 and has been licensed.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-08-16 at 08:32.
Old 2006-08-16, 08:43   Link #3
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Yes, Planetes immediately comes to my mind when I think of impressive character development, one of the few animes that come close to Monster in that respect. I also love the realism in Planetes - films in which there are no sounds in space (for the simple reason that there is no air ) are not that often.
The Twelve Kingdoms too really has characters that change in a believable way. Some of them were almost unbearable at first but in the course of the series got much better. I have yet to finish this series but the story is really addicting, a far cry from your typical cheesy fantasy book/film.
As far as atmosphere goes, my personal choice are some of Bee Train's series (Noir and Madlax mostly) but they are from the "love it or hate it" type so...

Old 2006-08-16, 09:58   Link #4
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
I also love the realism in Planetes - films in which there are no sounds in space (for the simple reason that there is no air ) are not that often.
!!! Thats exactly what impressed me too. (cough*StarWars*cough) And not only that, but how they used the silence to such great effect -- by including sounds like radio chatter (or my personal favourite, the subdued "puuuushhs" of the pneumatic-drivers in their suits); complemented by musical scores that really carries the space atmosphere very well -- so that the silence of space didnt feel overwhelming unless they intended it too.
Old 2006-08-16, 10:14   Link #5
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
(or my personal favourite, the subdued "puuuushhs" of the pneumatic-drivers in their suits)
I loved this detail, too. It seems like a totally unimportant thing but for some reason it really managed to enhance the atmosphere.

Old 2006-08-16, 12:59   Link #6
Budweineken
Crap

Kaze no Yojimbo the lead character is pretty good, and the whole series is about him trying to solve some sort of mystery from his past. If you liked the mafia aspect of Gungrave, you'll probably like this.

Legend of Galactic Heroes: It's an old ass OVA, and probably the longest out there, but it's great. Great characters and a great plot, in an interesting world, what else do you want?

Kurau Phantom Memory - second favorite anime after Monster, gives a new definition to "companion".

Fantastic Children - great plot, a plenty of twists

Beck - "real" characters

Ghost in the Shell - just because it's great and interesting, great characters

Gunbuster - haven't watched the second series, but the first one was great, especially the final episode. Only 6 episodes, give it a try.

Wolf's Rain - very character and plot driven series

Key the Metal Idol - this series has some interesting relationship developments

Suzuka - pretty good romance anime.

Shuffle! - didn't like it up till episode 14 or so, then it ends up being pretty amazing.

Boogiepop Phantom - haven't seen it, but for some reason I think you'll like it, heard many good things.

Now and Then, Here and There - Just because I loved it.

Project ARMS - Just because it's one of my favorite animes, so I'll just throw it in.
Old 2006-08-16, 14:38   Link #7
howzitboy

i still think honey and clover is best story/char in any anime. its just plain old awesome!
Old 2006-08-16, 15:06   Link #8
HXHFMP
a world's hunt

From my standards i would say hunter x hunter and last exile have the best story overall.
hunter x hunter - even though it is a shounen type anime like hakusho or naruto, the whole plot has a more deep developement than any others. hunter x hunter brings a world that really defines the fantasy word itself. the theme about this anime is about friendship and the struggles that they will endure together.

last exile - the plot only main focus is on the characters. it's a short 26 episodes and from the start till the end, the plot keeps to its balance.
Old 2006-08-16, 16:08   Link #9
mit7059

I agree with many of the above sugestions, Planetes is a amazing anime, so is Honey & Clover and Last Exile, but in my opinion Beck stands above the rest, with a great story line, characters animation and formost amazing music and sound i watched it all in one day. You should go get all of these now, another good choice is The Melancoly of Haruhi Suzumiya, which is hilarious and yet at the same time amazing.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Closed Thread