AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > School Rumble

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-07-22, 13:20   Link #61
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
"Flag" is a term one uses for events that occur in dating sims, that functions as turning points and cross roads for different situations and endings.

Since Eri's encounter with Harima were always "dating-sim-like", in the sense that they hardly ever talk normally, but always meet at critical situations, their relationship is called the "Flag".
From Vallen's post here.

Making a wide guess here, but I guess Harima x Yakumo is Onigiri faction because both met (in a romantic-esque way) first in episode 14 of SR1, where Yakumo offered him Onigiri (salted rice-ball) in return for his helping her cat. Okay maybe not really in return, but it was in that episode that she was impressed by Harima's way with animals, and thereafter sought to talk to Harima about animals. (also, she couldnt read his intentions).
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 19:28   Link #62
Shredder
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Hmm I never thought about it much, but I did figure Onigiri had to do with her gift when Harima was fixing the house. I had always thought Flag was bc they were on the same Flag team during that shootemup. The end of that little arc with the dance definitely had the high point of Flag. Ah, those were the days...they must return!
__________________
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 00:40   Link #63
Diedrupo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
SR 2nd term is following the manga. The manga just happens to start focusing on more and more characters and doesn't really have a distinct storyline.

Personally I like it, cause the minor characters are really cool. They all play their little roles.

Last edited by xris; 2006-07-24 at 09:29.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 08:23   Link #64
Sweetchinmusic
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I dont mind it, cause as i said School Rumble is School Rumble to me lol. Just that Harima is the best and in this season they havent focused on him that much. Same with Imadori. In the last season, the situations Imadori got himself into made me laugh toooo much. Although i have to admit the situations with Imadori in this season are funny, just not enough. Such as the Air Jordans scene and the Instant rice and Curry thing lol.
Sweetchinmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 18:46   Link #65
Seishiro
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Can anyone tell me where to start reading the manga if I finished season one of the anime?

I will read everything eventually, but I don't have the time to do so at the moment.
Seishiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 20:36   Link #66
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via Yahoo to Truth-kun
Season 1 ends at Volume 7 (I forgot the chapter number). If you've read, you might have noticed some mixed ups since the final episodes of season 1 didn't exactly faithfully follow the manga. (Like the material used in Episode 25 is a mixture of Volume 7 chapters and a chapter in Volume 8), and the whole Karasuma UFO was an anime original.
__________________

Made by: k9kiba of MangaVolume.com
Truth-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 14:56   Link #67
Sweetchinmusic
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
So the UFO thing wasnt even in the manga?

I just wanted to know how many episodes are there in this season? Ive been told its like 14 or something but isnt that extremely short compared to 26 in the first season?
Sweetchinmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 16:27   Link #68
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
i think its 26 this season hurray well it passed the 14 mark already so its either 24 or 26
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 00:15   Link #69
Diedrupo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth-kun
Season 1 ends at Volume 7 (I forgot the chapter number). If you've read, you might have noticed some mixed ups since the final episodes of season 1 didn't exactly faithfully follow the manga. (Like the material used in Episode 25 is a mixture of Volume 7 chapters and a chapter in Volume 8), and the whole Karasuma UFO was an anime original.
Well you could say the Karasuma UFO thing was the story of Harima's manga, isn't that what it was revealed to be in the end? In the manga, we have no idea what the story of Harima's manga is, except that it's a thinly veiled allegory to Harima's real life fantasy of hooking up with Tenma.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 01:59   Link #70
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via Yahoo to Truth-kun
Well, it was still not included in the School Rumble manga , which makes it an anime original . But still I don't mind that part, since it amused the hell out of me when I was watching Season 1. Its a fitting end to a season really, and even if they didn't do a follow up, I wouldn't mind it ending that way. Of course, I still prefer having a second season more than anything else. Perhaps, also a third season, if KJ continues to develop SR into their Third Year of Highschool life.
__________________

Made by: k9kiba of MangaVolume.com
Truth-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 02:08   Link #71
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 34
What if KJ decides to make Harima's manga the ending of the school rumble manga? Maybe Correct Path might prevail? O_o;;
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-28, 03:08   Link #72
Diedrupo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima
What if KJ decides to make Harima's manga the ending of the school rumble manga? Maybe Correct Path might prevail? O_o;;
Honestly I don't see why it wouldn't. There are strong indications Karasuma will leave the series which opens up for Harima finally conquering Tenma in the 3rd term.

It's very unlikely that Harima will end up with Eri or Yakumo. I mean it's unheard of for a shounen romance to have the hero end up with a girl who has a crush on him that he has no interest in.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-28, 16:35   Link #73
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo
Honestly I don't see why it wouldn't. There are strong indications Karasuma will leave the series which opens up for Harima finally conquering Tenma in the 3rd term.
It's interesting that you should mention that. That type of thinking forms the backbone of Harima's approach to Tenma - and it's one of the very ideas that the story has challenged every step of the way. If you can spot Harima's mistake here, you're well on your way to understanding a major theme in SR.

Let's take a look at Harima's approach throughout the series. Harima constantly assumes that a successful relationship simply depends on dating "skill" or "ability". In essence, Harima believes that if he is persistant, and if he just says and does the "right" things, he can "win" his happy ending. However, whenever you see Harima treating his relationship with Tenma as a "solo sport", you consistantly see him run into difficulties. By contrast, his happiest moments inevitably involve a "sacrifice", whereby he learns to empathize with others and make their needs his own. This is a running theme throughout the story for him, regardless of whether the girl in question is Tenma or Eri.

Harima cannot "conquer" Tenma, nor can he win her over by "defeating" Karasuma. True victory comes from character growth and maturity. From what we've seen to date, Harima's best chance of growth as a character lies not in clinging to his age old dogmas and (mis)perceptions, but in challenging them and tearing them down. As a matter of fact, the Tenma-Eri swap imagery that runs throughout the series fits in perfectly with that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo
It's very unlikely that Harima will end up with Eri or Yakumo. I mean it's unheard of for a shounen romance to have the hero end up with a girl who has a crush on him that he has no interest in.
As a matter of fact, although SR is published for a "shounen" fan base, I've always had a suspicion that it is really more of a shoujo series in disguise. I'm not sure why everyone insists on treating this like a harem series built around Harima - not only does he only have one girl who is actually interested in him (a harem of just one girl?), but the organization of the relationships in the series forms a complex web that interconnects all of the characters in the series (there is no absolute centre, as you would find in a harem romantic structure.) The sparkle backgrounds are another device that you often see used in shoujo series. Yet another point to consider is the manner in which the story is treated - the emphasis is taken off of a goal orientated approach to romance to a more relationship orientated approach (ie. romantic "success" is based on gradually building a relationship, rather than "getting the girl"). This unfamiliar attitude is part of what seems to frustrate many viewers, who are used to just getting their catharsis quickly and moving on to another series.

Another point that is worth considering is the issue of the "primary protagonist" in SR. At the start of the series, our primary protagonist was Tenma. As a matter of fact, Harima doesn't even appear until the second chapter of the manga. Early on, the primary conflict isn't "Will Harima get Tenma?" but rather, "Will Tenma get Karasuma?" We cannot devalue or reject Karasuma as a male lead simply because we cannot identify with him. Rather, early on, Tenma is the character with whom we are to identify with and empathize with. This is yet another issue that can be difficult to overcome - shounen series often have male protagonists with whom we identify with and project our ideas and attitudes on to. Shoujo series, by contrast, often have female protagonists. Male viewers may attempt to adjust by identifying with the secondary male protagonist of such series, but such an approach can also distort our perceptions of the series. Harima does not automatically become the main character of the series just because we identify with him more easily than we would a female lead.

Later on in the series, when the focus switches from Tenma to Eri, we still have the same problem - although the vast majority of the storyline is concerned with Eri's feelings, conflicts, and her relationship to Harima, we still tend to view the story as if it were built around Harima. While we do have a clear picture of Harima's goals, we rarely get a glimpse into the feelings behind those goals - the "why" of his character. Although there is a shift away from Tenma's character, the storyline is still told from the viewpoint of another female protagonist - Eri.

The structure of SR may be an issue for debate, but one thing we can be certain of is its unpredictability. It may comfortable to label and categorize the unfamiliar in terms of the familiar - but we always risk distorting the story in the process.
Swampstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-29, 00:30   Link #74
Diedrupo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
As a matter of fact, although SR is published for a "shounen" fan base, I've always had a suspicion that it is really more of a shoujo series in disguise. I'm not sure why everyone insists on treating this like a harem series built around Harima - not only does he only have one girl who is actually interested in him (a harem of just one girl?), but the organization of the relationships in the series forms a complex web that interconnects all of the characters in the series (there is no absolute centre, as you would find in a harem romantic structure.) The sparkle backgrounds are another device that you often see used in shoujo series. Yet another point to consider is the manner in which the story is treated - the emphasis is taken off of a goal orientated approach to romance to a more relationship orientated approach (ie. romantic "success" is based on gradually building a relationship, rather than "getting the girl"). This unfamiliar attitude is part of what seems to frustrate many viewers, who are used to just getting their catharsis quickly and moving on to another series.
I don't really see anything shoujo about School Rumble. Although it has two main characters (Tenma and Harima) and one of the requirements of non-boy love shoujo is that the main character is female, School Rumble seems to focus mostly on Harima. A lot of the humor is very shounen-like as well. And the art style is not the typical pretty shoujo style.

School Rumble is definately unique in that it is one of the few manga that is really all about the characters. Jin Kobayashi must be really into developing a small world and showing us the lives of his creations, and I really respect him for that. It's something that you don't see in most manga.


Quote:
Another point that is worth considering is the issue of the "primary protagonist" in SR. At the start of the series, our primary protagonist was Tenma. As a matter of fact, Harima doesn't even appear until the second chapter of the manga. Early on, the primary conflict isn't "Will Harima get Tenma?" but rather, "Will Tenma get Karasuma?" We cannot devalue or reject Karasuma as a male lead simply because we cannot identify with him. Rather, early on, Tenma is the character with whom we are to identify with and empathize with. This is yet another issue that can be difficult to overcome - shounen series often have male protagonists with whom we identify with and project our ideas and attitudes on to. Shoujo series, by contrast, often have female protagonists. Male viewers may attempt to adjust by identifying with the secondary male protagonist of such series, but such an approach can also distort our perceptions of the series. Harima does not automatically become the main character of the series just because we identify with him more easily than we would a female lead.
Even though Tenma was introduced first, I still believe that Tenma and Harima are both the protagonists of the story. And since this is a shounen manga, we have to root for Harima, and not for Tenma. If anything, Tenma's lack of popularity and the lack of popularity for Harima x Tenma is more of a personal failure of the author. I really hope he does not cave into fan pressure to make a Harima x Eri ending, because its clear that from the start he wanted to get Harima and Tenma together.

Quote:
Later on in the series, when the focus switches from Tenma to Eri, we still have the same problem - although the vast majority of the storyline is concerned with Eri's feelings, conflicts, and her relationship to Harima, we still tend to view the story as if it were built around Harima. While we do have a clear picture of Harima's goals, we rarely get a glimpse into the feelings behind those goals - the "why" of his character. Although there is a shift away from Tenma's character, the storyline is still told from the viewpoint of another female protagonist - Eri.

The structure of SR may be an issue for debate, but one thing we can be certain of is its unpredictability. It may comfortable to label and categorize the unfamiliar in terms of the familiar - but we always risk distorting the story in the process.
Eri is not a protagonist, she is a side character who happens to get a lot of screentime. She is a rival who likely won't succeed in hooking up with Harima. The main chapters have never focused on Eri, in fact, they switch back and forth between Harima and Tenma, it is only in the b chapters that we see other characters headlining. While we do get to see her thoughts and obviously a lot of us sympatize and root for her, in the end she's no different from any other female rival in any other shounen romance manga.

To be honest, I don't really see School Rumble as unpredictable. A lot of what has happened so far really just made sense, and wasn't unpredictable. Unpredictable would be something like Harima and Rinko suddenly hooking up. It may be because of the continual introduction of new characters and the new focus on older characters that make School Rumble so refreshing and different.

I'm still waiting for Unknown Girl 1, Unknown Girl 2, and Kaori to finally get introductions! They are the only girls left who haven't been introduced to the story (not counting Rinko and Mina, cause the anime pretty much gave them the limelight).
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 02:02   Link #75
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 34
Question about Mikoto Suou...

Her bust size are D right?
What is are her mesurements? B: W: H:
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-11, 03:17   Link #76
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
according to the first manga in the introduction part she is 5'7 but it doesnt mention the bust and waist only her hobbies and stuff.

from the official website she has O blood and birthday is 7/26
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 01:25   Link #77
mog08
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Question: season 2 episode 6, during the play, what did Yakumo say to Eri in silent?

[edit] are there no Japanese linguists on this forum?

Last edited by mog08; 2006-08-29 at 21:02.
mog08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 17:06   Link #78
ordnance11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I need a question answered about Sara Adiemus: Does she belong to the Roman Catholic Church or to the Church of England? Based on her activities, I'd have to say Chruch of England, but is there any evidence to support it?
ordnance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-30, 06:39   Link #79
jacko1989
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
er. may i noe the title of de song from school rumble opening n ending?
jacko1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-30, 10:00   Link #80
Eri
Sawachika
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Paris, France
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mog08
Question: season 2 episode 6, during the play, what did Yakumo say to Eri in silent?

[edit] are there no Japanese linguists on this forum?
What she says is :



I don't know how to translate it except by " ".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordnance11
I need a question answered about Sara Adiemus: Does she belong to the Roman Catholic Church or to the Church of England? Based on her activities, I'd have to say Chruch of England, but is there any evidence to support it?
I don't know christianism enough... Maybe Jin Kobayashi either.
I'd say Church of England, she's english... ^^'
(edit : did you read the chapter b42 ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko1989
er. may i noe the title of de song from school rumble opening n ending?
For opening and ending themes, look over here :

1st season
OVA series
2nd season

Last edited by Eri; 2006-08-30 at 11:24.
Eri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.