AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-09-07, 22:30   Link #1
Guido

AQUAPLUS asks fans not to use their original material for doujinshi

From Anime News Service

Quote:
Aquaplus, the Japanese company behind such hugely fan favorite manga and anime as To Heart, Comic Party, Utawarerumono and a host of lesser known underground favorites has revised it's rules regarding the use of it's properties in doujinshi and fanfiction. They ask fans not use their original material directly in the production of such works. Distribution of such material at events (like Comike), websites or mail order venues is also prohibited. The rules were first amended to the above link on September 1st. Third party observers have pointed out the doujinshi market of such material may now be a very real threat to mainstream publishers and copyright holders in Japan.
Source. http://www.aquaplus.co.jp/copyrgt.html
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 22:35   Link #2
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

yeah, i dont deny that i collect every pic of tamaki wether she is dressed... or not...

but this is kind of sad, they should start some kind of royalties collections instead.
Old 2006-09-07, 22:37   Link #3
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I wonder how well that'll actually work out for them. Not that they don't have a right to defend their copyright, but it seems like they'd be trying to smash a million ants scattering in every direction with a sledgehammer.
Old 2006-09-07, 22:41   Link #4
wao
OK.

By "using original material" do you mean that they actually take pictures and text from the game itself without modification and put it in their doujinshi? That I can understand... it also kind of shows a lack of talent on the part of the doujinshi maker, doesn't it

But if they are referring to people drawing doujins of the exact characters featured in their games then that's... personally I think that woudl be evil. It's not that, though, right?
Old 2006-09-07, 22:50   Link #5
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist

Hmmm, time to save those piccies and doujins like mad.

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 23:18   Link #6
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

This isn't really anything big, Aquaplus is simply making clear of the rules that pretty much all bishojo game companies enforce: we don't care if you want to create secondary creations (doujinshi, for example) based on our products, but don't steal contents from official materials (game CGs, for example) and use them in your own goods.

And even then, they're still pretty lax: they even let you use official game images in your doujinshis as long as it's not the "main" selling point and doesn't contain spoilers (you can use them for reference purposes, for example). You can also post official images online, provided it's not for things like wallpapers or anything, and is resized.

TYPE-MOON also did something like this a while ago, telling a wallpaper site to take down all the wallpapers that used official materials, leaving only the wallpapers that were made with fanarts.

Again, nobody is banning the production of doujin/secondary creations based on Leaf/Aquaplus games, they're simply adding the rules to stop people from taking official contents directly from the games and leaking it out in their personal sites or as wallpapers.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-09-07 at 23:28.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 23:24   Link #7
wao
OK.

Oh. Then it's perfectly fine... There are a lot of excellent artists out there that can produce images better than the original stuff and some who don't mind their stuff being put on wallpapers and whatnot (though over here I think people put them on wallpapers, consent or not...)
Old 2006-09-07, 23:54   Link #8
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Wouldn't this also affect music videos? They use game CGs.
Old 2006-09-07, 23:57   Link #9
Lost

So what would that mean for me if I wanted to vector from a stratch an image based entirely on a screenshot of UtaMono? Would that constitute
Quote:
wallpapers that used official materials
?
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 01:14   Link #10
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
So what would that mean for me if I wanted to vector from a stratch an image based entirely on a screenshot of UtaMono? Would that constitute?
I kinda want to know about this as well.
Old 2006-09-08, 01:29   Link #11
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

I think I found what made the amendment such a big deal:
Aquaplus will allow any secondary creation that's based based on their products, as long as it remains within a personal or doujin activity scale.

So far, no problem. However, the problem comes when they talked about the distribution of personal or circle materials:
-----------
具体的には『同人即売会(イベント)での頒布』、『webサイトでの自主通販』等を差します。
二次創作物を、業者等第三者を介して一般流通させることは同人活動とは見なしていません。
"Physical examples include "distribution at doujin sale events" or "independent online website sales".
Regular distribution of secondary creations through third commercial parties is not considered doujin activity."
---------

Now, anyone who knows anything about the doujin world knows that doujin circles normally distribute their products through doujin events (such as Comiket), but they also consign their creations to stores like Tora no Ana or Melonbooks just as often (for people who couldn't make it to the events or for periods where there are no events). Aquaplus basically forbid doujin circles from using the latter method of distribution right there.

It would make sense for people to be moaning: what this means is that it'll be a lot harder to sell/obtain doujin goods based on Aquaplus products, since they're basically being restricted as "event-only" items now.

=======================
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
Wouldn't this also affect music videos? They use game CGs.
Using game CGs in digital data (such as MAD videos) is not allowed. This is pretty much the same as any other company's rule.

Not that anyone would stop making them because of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
So what would that mean for me if I wanted to vector from a stratch an image based entirely on a screenshot of UtaMono? Would that constitute?
I don't know, depending on what you're using it for, I guess. You'll have to ask Aquaplus for that.

I don't think anyone will care as long as you don't wave it in Aquaplus' face.
Old 2006-09-08, 05:13   Link #12
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist

It could also help if you live an ocean's distance away, but who knows.

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 07:26   Link #13
wao
OK.

I guess the only alternative is for someone to set up a fan-based shop (non-commercial, so they don't get any cuts or anything) and start moving online... Wouldn't making things event-only only result really long queues getting even longer? And prices going up a lot more? (or they'll stay the same, but just get even more expensive on Yahoo Auctions.)