AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-01-08, 16:06   Link #1
kenny333

Batched files

When I am downloading a batch of files (like episodes 1-4 of a series), do i have to wait for all 4 files to finish downloading before i can watch any of them? I'm asking this because it seems that although the first file is done downloading (i.e. the program is downloading the 2nd file now), I still cannot play the finished file (corrupted or something?). In a batch, do I have to wait for the whole download to be finished or can I play each file within the batch as they are downloaded? I'm using the basic bittorrent client v3.3.
kenny333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-08, 18:07   Link #2
pantsu
station!!

I'm not too sure if the batch has to be completed before viewing the files. If you are still currently dl'ing the batched files and try to view it then, you will get the "corrupted/blahblahblah" error (if you are in windows). Since the file is technically still in use, most viewers for Windows won't allow it to be played. Try canceling the dl, copy the file out of the folder/to another location and view it then. I have tried this in the past, and the file would start out find, then just skip around and halt. This was probably due to the way it was allocated (this will probably depend on the client or w/e you are using..not too sure), but hell, try it out and find out for yourself.
pantsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 00:35   Link #3
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny333
When I am downloading a batch of files (like episodes 1-4 of a series), do i have to wait for all 4 files to finish downloading before i can watch any of them?
Here's what I've observed about batch downloads by clicking on the Details link of Shad0w's BitTorrent client (which gives the percentage completion of each file within a batch):

When downloading by batch, the client (at least Shad0w's behaves this way) does not download the files sequentially. In other words, the client does not wait to finish downloading the first file before it starts download the next one. Instead, the client pseudo-randomly picks chunks from among all the files within the batch to download at the same time. Therefore, unless by chance one episode is completed way before the others, you won't be able to view it.

The official BitTorrent client only shows overall batch percentage completed, so this is not necessarily any indication that a particular file within the batch has finished downloading.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!
Sour-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 02:10   Link #4
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

When I download batches, it seems to download in alphabetical order, however... I've never been able to watch ANY episodes until it's totally complete.
Old 2004-01-14, 03:20   Link #5
Lone Wolf
Hacker-nin

Send a message via AIM to Lone Wolf
like pantsu said, most clients do not wait for the first file to finish downloading before moving on to the others, so the file is *not* done downloading.

if you do insist on playing partially downloaded files, i recommend mplayer. it plays pretty much anything, and i have not found a single file it will not play. i normally start watching at about 85-90% complete.

lonewolf

"You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless"

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!
Lone Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote