AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-01-13, 11:12   Link #61
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

In terms of overall computer sales, Mac OS is only three times as big as Linux, and Windows has over thirty times more sales as Mac OS.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 16:15   Link #62
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Mac OS is popular in the consumer market? News to me.

Maybe you should put a little time into learning the history of the personal computer business, and then you will figure out why Windows is the most popular system by far.

What? You don't want to because you're too busy insulting people? I will summarize, in my own words:

- IBM develops a new brand of personal computer and forgets to patent it. They arrange a deal with a small software company called Microsoft for an operating system. Microsoft finds some guy that had plagarized CP/M and modified it slightly, calling it QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System). They buy the ripoff from him cheap, rename it PC-DOS and sell it to IBM for an enormous amount of money.
- Lots of people make IBM clones ("compatibles") that can run all the great IBM PC software, making the IBM PC, and with it MS-DOS, the most important architecture. The software pioneer Lotus introduces their highly popular spreadsheet, 1-2-3, for MS-DOS. Following this, everyone develops for it.
- Microsoft and IBM introduce OS/2, similar to UNIX's X11 system. It gives the IBM PC a user interface, but it is not widely used for lack of software and good functionality.
- Microsoft introduces Windows and pulls the carpet out from under OS/2 (IBM loses a lot of money). Microsoft makes a new version of Word, its somewhat popular word processor, for Windows and invites other software companies to develop for Windows.
- Microsoft invites companies developing business software to implement its new technology called OLE, which will be introduced in the next Windows. When they release the next Windows, they modify OLE so that it crashes all its competitors' software.
- Microsoft introduces Office, which is Word bundled with a bunch of ripoffs of its competitors' software, such as Excel, which is a bad clone of Lotus' 1-2-3 (remember it?). Office has immediate support for the new Windows; the competitors are still crashing.
- While its competitors in the business market go under due to OLE and bundling, Microsoft introduces Windows 95, which automatically uninstalls OS/2 for you when you put the disc in.
- Microsoft finally wakes up to the Internet. A start-up called Netscape is selling their web browser for $30. Starting with the second version of Windows 95, Microsoft bundles the operating system with Internet Explorer, which is a horrible clone of Mosaic.
- Microsoft hacks Internet Explorer into Windows 98 so that it is used as the file manager. For some reason, this argument convinces the U.S. courts that IE is a necessary part of Windows.
- Microsoft introduces a media player and a proprietary compression format (WMA) and bundles it with Windows, and for some reason, the easily duped populace starts to use it...

And so, it is 2004. Microsoft is now the proud leader in operating systems, office suites, and web browsers, and is gaining in media, thanks to the tactics I have described above. That, kind sir, is why Windows is so popular in the consumer market.
FYI I know Microsofts history very well. You dont need to lecture me on it. It is true what Microsoft did in the past was horrible but thats what it takes to be number 1. Only the strong survive, welcome to the corporate world my friend.
Old 2004-01-13, 16:19   Link #63
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
It is true what Microsoft did in the past was horrible but thats what it takes to be number 1. Only the strong survive, welcome to the coporate world my friend.
Interesting how you have completely forgotten about your original point.

Anyway, I'd better get started opening up sweatshops for my clothing company.
Old 2004-01-13, 16:36   Link #64
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

k I give up you linux fanboys win. Arguing is pointless. I didn't mean to diss linux. I was just comparing it to the windows & MAC platform, and pointing out what I thought was its faults. I didn't realize that some ppl here would get offended. I apologize.

edit: lol i shouldve known what would happen if i posted what i thought of linux here. silly me

Last edited by Keitarou20; 2004-01-13 at 16:51.
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 00:04   Link #65
Forse
r00t for life

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
edit: lol i shouldve known what would happen if i posted what i thought of linux here. silly me
LOL. Good you didn't post on big linux forum like gentoo

P.S. I do agree that linux has many issues, when you try it our...somehow it seems so good compared to $MS
Old 2004-01-14, 06:52   Link #66
Nevion
/dev/random

Indeed funny. And yeah, whenever somebody says anything with linux and vs in the title, a few wars do start, its like lighting a match to look in the gastank of your car.

But I still believe you/as well as most ppl have generic views about what you "think linux's problems are" (you see them on linux forums all the time), theres been so many wars faught I see some of these topics only get a couple of views, no one even bothers replying. It almost always goes back to the user interface, and yeah a wizard of some type or just plain reluctance to not RTFM. There are wizards on all platforms, they follow a standard [i]easy[/e] format just like windows installers, there are also simliar wizards to install the most popular package format, rpm.
If you can't understand stuff in kde you got problems (regardless of techsavyness, my 85 year old semi-senial granpa uses suse-kde). Gnome is just about as easy if not just as easy. For ppl who just don't know much and need to get work done, they work basically the same way any other ui works. So if someone has problems with something a mere 8 year old can get the knack of in mere minutes, what the hell is they're problem, and yes they might need to RTFM for once.

ps, I remember my elementry school had "NeXT" computers in like 1991-ish or something(I'm thinking I was in 1-2 grade?). I didn't even know what a computer was but our teacher tought us to surf the web back then to research santa claus, you know what we did? Pointed and clicked. A unix based os that elementry kids can use
Old 2004-01-14, 10:12   Link #67
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevion
Indeed funny. And yeah, whenever somebody says anything with linux and vs in the title, a few wars do start, its like lighting a match to look in the gastank of your car.

But I still believe you/as well as most ppl have generic views about what you "think linux's problems are" (you see them on linux forums all the time), theres been so many wars faught I see some of these topics only get a couple of views, no one even bothers replying. It almost always goes back to the user interface, and yeah a wizard of some type or just plain reluctance to not RTFM. There are wizards on all platforms, they follow a standard [i]easy[/e] format just like windows installers, there are also simliar wizards to install the most popular package format, rpm.
If you can't understand stuff in kde you got problems (regardless of techsavyness, my 85 year old semi-senial granpa uses suse-kde). Gnome is just about as easy if not just as easy. For ppl who just don't know much and need to get work done, they work basically the same way any other ui works. So if someone has problems with something a mere 8 year old can get the knack of in mere minutes, what the hell is they're problem, and yes they might need to RTFM for once.

ps, I remember my elementry school had "NeXT" computers in like 1991-ish or something(I'm thinking I was in 1-2 grade?). I didn't even know what a computer was but our teacher tought us to surf the web back then to research santa claus, you know what we did? Pointed and clicked. A unix based os that elementry kids can use
let it rest Nevion dont get me all fired up again.
Old 2004-01-14, 15:07   Link #68
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by complich8
I tend to steer people away from linux as a desktop because of the huge raging pain in the ass it is to install X. Redhat gets itself up and running easily, but I don't like the way they tie the update system to a subscription service, and without using that most newbies would be trapped in rpm-hell for a VERY long time.
The successor to RH9.0 is Fedora Core 1, which uses yum/up2date/apt to update via free repositories. Update your information.
Old 2004-01-14, 15:14   Link #69
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen
The successor to RH9.0 is Fedora Core 1, which uses yum/up2date/apt to update via free repositories. Update your information.
Still nothing is better then ports (FBSD) or portage (Gentoo)