AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Air

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-09-19, 06:08   Link #81
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ PILMAN

To be brief, if the show is originally created with a high definition master, then yes, you should notice a substantial difference given the correct equipment. At the moment, anime looks more likely to go Blu-ray then HD-DVD, but I wouldn't place bets on it not appearing on both media. If you have a proper HDTV, and a decent BR/HD-DVD player, and the correct source material is there... yes, there'll be a difference.

Of course, you've got to be willing to drop a lot of money on it, less you want to watch BR/HD-DVD movies on a computer/drive/monitor combo.


-Andiyar
__________________
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"
andiyar is offline  
Old 2006-09-19, 12:13   Link #82
PILMAN
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar
@ PILMAN

To be brief, if the show is originally created with a high definition master, then yes, you should notice a substantial difference given the correct equipment. At the moment, anime looks more likely to go Blu-ray then HD-DVD, but I wouldn't place bets on it not appearing on both media. If you have a proper HDTV, and a decent BR/HD-DVD player, and the correct source material is there... yes, there'll be a difference.

Of course, you've got to be willing to drop a lot of money on it, less you want to watch BR/HD-DVD movies on a computer/drive/monitor combo.


-Andiyar
Would buying a bluray player for an edtv plasma be worth it or not really? I mean the HD channels look pretty crystal clear on my tv but i'm not sure if I should just stick to getting a bluray player for my computer instead.
PILMAN is offline  
Old 2006-09-22, 09:27   Link #83
kMisuzu
vehicularGao
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to kMisuzu
preordered from Amazon for a total of ¥ 23,286
it could almost be expected that it would end up being just an upconversion or something stupid like that as its one of the first BD releases
anyways, I can set that aside for this

i had to reregister to post this due to inactivity >.>

with a little luck a truely remastered Blu-Ray or HD-DVD version will come out


and if you're curious, I'll be waiting til 2007 to get a player, as they are currently well overpriced. I bought my first 'set-top' DVD player for $99 and it turned out to be mod-friendly for region free <3 apex.
kMisuzu is offline  
Old 2006-09-23, 03:21   Link #84
Pepz
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
So ok what do I get in the box set? Because I'm thinking it's just the 12 eps.
Pepz is offline  
Old 2006-09-23, 08:58   Link #85
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ PILMAN

An EDTV does a maximum of 480p or 576p, so on that kind of TV you wouldn't really benefit from a blu-ray version as opposed to a DVD version. Since the DVD already does 480i, you'd be getting much the same quality actually displayed. That said, if the blu-ray version does fix some of the problems the DVD version has, the picture quality would benefit as well - you just wouldn't get the full 'HD' experience. Seeing as a SD master is being used anyway, well...

That said though, do you prefer to watch tv/etc on your television, or on your computer? The picture will probably look a bit better on the computer, but then you've got to factor in the 'home entertainment' parts as well. Lounging on the couch in front of a 42" TV (or whatever) is often better then sitting in a chair in front of a 20" monitor. Oh, and do keep in mind that if you are planning on buying blu-ray titles in future, getting the blu-ray player for the TV would probably be a better option - especially if you might look at a TV upgrade in the not-too-distant future.

Your mileage may vary, of course. If you have a 24" widescreen LCD, and your computer is hooked up to a nice set of speakers with a comfy chair... get the blu-ray player. BUT, make sure you get one that has blu-ray playback software - I'm not sure it's available yet


-Andiyar
__________________
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"
andiyar is offline  
Old 2006-09-25, 00:45   Link #86
PILMAN
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar
@ PILMAN

An EDTV does a maximum of 480p or 576p, so on that kind of TV you wouldn't really benefit from a blu-ray version as opposed to a DVD version. Since the DVD already does 480i, you'd be getting much the same quality actually displayed. That said, if the blu-ray version does fix some of the problems the DVD version has, the picture quality would benefit as well - you just wouldn't get the full 'HD' experience. Seeing as a SD master is being used anyway, well...

That said though, do you prefer to watch tv/etc on your television, or on your computer? The picture will probably look a bit better on the computer, but then you've got to factor in the 'home entertainment' parts as well. Lounging on the couch in front of a 42" TV (or whatever) is often better then sitting in a chair in front of a 20" monitor. Oh, and do keep in mind that if you are planning on buying blu-ray titles in future, getting the blu-ray player for the TV would probably be a better option - especially if you might look at a TV upgrade in the not-too-distant future.

Your mileage may vary, of course. If you have a 24" widescreen LCD, and your computer is hooked up to a nice set of speakers with a comfy chair... get the blu-ray player. BUT, make sure you get one that has blu-ray playback software - I'm not sure it's available yet


-Andiyar
Hmm how much do 24" computer lcd's cost. I'm wondering if it'd even fit on my desk. I'm using a 19" at the moment. No plans to replace the Plasma display, only got it 3 years ago.
PILMAN is offline  
Old 2006-09-25, 02:00   Link #87
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN
Hmm how much do 24" computer lcd's cost. I'm wondering if it'd even fit on my desk. I'm using a 19" at the moment. No plans to replace the Plasma display, only got it 3 years ago.
It will run you around $700-$1000.
__________________
~Yoda is waiting in the air~ | HAVEN | encubed: visual novel translation news site
zalas is offline  
Old 2006-09-25, 02:10   Link #88
Minoto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepz
So ok what do I get in the box set? Because I'm thinking it's just the 12 eps.
It's a bit more than that...the twelve episodes, the summer specials, an expanded version of AIR Memories (if I read correctly, longer cast interviews with improved audio and Japanese subtitles), an extended three-minute OP that's in true HD, an image gallery, and a new 5.1 remix in addition to the original stereo mix. I'm still disappointed that the video quality won't be as much of an improvement over the DVDs as I'd hoped for, but all the same -- I'd much rather regret buying this, than not buying it.
__________________
観鈴の友達
Minoto is offline  
Old 2006-09-25, 14:47   Link #89
Pepz
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoto
It's a bit more than that...the twelve episodes, the summer specials, an expanded version of AIR Memories (if I read correctly, longer cast interviews with improved audio and Japanese subtitles), an extended three-minute OP that's in true HD, an image gallery, and a new 5.1 remix in addition to the original stereo mix. I'm still disappointed that the video quality won't be as much of an improvement over the DVDs as I'd hoped for, but all the same -- I'd much rather regret buying this, than not buying it.
Yeah that's I thought as well! At least I can now say it's in my collection at last! Thanks for the info! Got an e-mail from amazon.co.jp ... : Delivery estimate: 2007/1/11 - 2007/1/18 Another delay?! What is going on?!

Last edited by Pepz; 2006-11-30 at 14:09.
Pepz is offline  
Old 2006-12-21, 02:56   Link #90
Minoto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Age: 42
Just checked amazon.co.jp -- the delivery estimate for my copy is still 12/22/2006 - 12/26/2006, as it has been for a while, but the status has changed to "Shipping Soon / We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed."

AIRy Christmas, everyone!
__________________
観鈴の友達
Minoto is offline  
Old 2006-12-21, 17:05   Link #91
Pepz
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I think mine has left. Not too sure
Pepz is offline  
Old 2006-12-22, 02:03   Link #92
frad113
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via AIM to frad113
I am planning on getting a 32" LCD TV to double up as my monitor. Why am I posting here? Because I plan to only watch AIR on it (no, seriousely ). I am looking at the Sharp, Sony, and JVC; I've done "some" research on them. Anyone have any good/bad experiences they want to share?
__________________
баня, водка, гармонь и лосось.
amenochi.com
frad113 is offline  
Old 2006-12-23, 10:17   Link #93
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ithaca, NY, USA // Taichung, Taiwan
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
To anyone still looking at this thread:
The Blu-ray rips of the "long-version opening animation" is available from usual outlets. Maybe someone should sub it.
Super high quality: 1280 x 720 - too high for my screen at home (my 19" widescreen is at my college apartment)
W-General is offline  
Old 2006-12-23, 18:11   Link #94
Minoto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Age: 42
Wow...that just redefined beautiful for me. Here are a few representative frames for those who might be curious:







__________________
観鈴の友達
Minoto is offline  
Old 2006-12-23, 19:39   Link #95
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 34
Many of the scenes in the Hi-Def extended OP arn't in the show itself. Hints of a more faithful remake of AIR coming ?
__________________
MakubeX2 is offline  
Old 2006-12-24, 01:33   Link #96
Minoto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Many of the scenes in the Hi-Def extended OP arn't in the show itself. Hints of a more faithful remake of AIR coming ?
That would be wonderful, but considering that KyoAni just did AIR in early 2005, and that they've got a very busy schedule ahead of them for some time, I don't think it's very likely. My guess is that the scenes in the extended OP are just the result of the animators having some fun doing things they didn't get to do when they originally did the series, but I don't think it's a sign of things to come.

I'd love to be proven wrong, though...
__________________
観鈴の友達
Minoto is offline  
Old 2006-12-24, 05:51   Link #97
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Singapore
Send a message via MSN to K3cT
If AIR HD is going to look like that consistently, I might consider buying the BR version.

K3cT is offline  
Old 2006-12-24, 06:17   Link #98
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Singapore
Send a message via MSN to K3cT
This is the re-made opening in the BR re-release:

http://stage6.divx.com/members/91791/videos/1063717
K3cT is offline  
Old 2006-12-24, 19:27   Link #99
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Jesus Lord. All right. I hated AIR and probably always will, barring a blow to the head or electric shock or something. My expectations for it were huge and it didn't deliver on any level except the way it looked and the soundtrack.

It was the promo's fault. Clouds, angels, rich summer colors, and the ocean, plus a cool song. I thought "Great! This thing is made for me!" Then it was nothing but cutesy girls and sadness and trite dialogue. Disappointing. Clicked over here today to check out the wallpapers thread, looked at his one by chance, and saw another awesome promo for a show that I know sucks. This isn't fair.
__________________
I'm not going to neg rep you in return. Leave your name.
Veritas is offline  
Old 2006-12-24, 20:21   Link #100
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Veritas

Well... perhaps you should have asked a few general questions in regards to what Air was going to be about before you just picked it up and watched it? Your user title says that you hate bishoujo games; were you unaware that Air was based on a bishoujo game? Perhaps you should have bothered to find out in the first place?

And did you keep watching the show after the first episode? If so, and you hated it... sorry, but you do have only yourself to blame for that. Trite, but true.

As to the topic at hand... sigh, sadly I had to cancel my order for Air on blu-ray in the end, due to rather unforseeen problems involving a few bills and then the crazy month of cost that is December - a new pair of glasses, and paying for my GAMSAT test next year took a large chunk of my extra income, as did the whole Christmas shopping thing. That said - it's still available on Amazon.co.jp even now. And I'm in the process of downloading the OP rips, as they're really what I'd love to see right now. If I don't end up picking up the BR box in the next few months, I think I'll get the DVDs instead - saves me having to pick up a player - or, well... if the box is still there, my inherent weakness will still be there

Merry Christmas all!


-Andiyar
__________________
"Any good that I may do here, let me do now, for I may not pass this way again"
andiyar is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.