AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Higurashi

View Poll Results: Higurashi Episode 26 Rating
Perfect 10 61 37.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 43 26.54%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 17.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 9.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.47%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.85%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.85%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-01, 23:51   Link #121
IceBurner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy
Nope, MODer applied wrong BGM for that one and he says so in the comment, although written in Japanese.
(彷徨いの言葉は天に導かれ is the BGM used in scene from Rika's headbutt to K's disarming the bomb)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm9NSTSH1LI
This is correct one, which features 見えない何かに怯える夜 - this theme was also used in watergun fight, obviously to give fights the same atmosphere.
Both of those songs have less dramatic impact cinemawise than what was present in the animation. They're far more appropriate to an action game, or perhaps to emphasize the intense action in a primarily text-based medium with nearly-still images. The animated version has little need for "boss music" and its choice of BGM serves to emphasize the tragedy. In my humble opinion, this works better for the film format.

Still it would indeed be interesting to be able to compare the whole series with the original game BGM. Once scene does not a series make.
Old 2006-10-02, 04:08   Link #122
Alu
Guide my hand...

It ended..

As I here sit in my chair chewing a pen cap I think to myself... what a Great! story has this series brought me.., and it sadens me that it ended prematurely to its full conclusion..

Not only because of all that was still left un-answered.., the thrill of various possibilities / speculations, but also because I (we) will not get to see it unfold along with all the characters we came to care and love for..

But looking back.., I am already beyond thankfull for all the joy this story has given me until now, hence.., there is realy little to regret

Speaking about the episode now...

I always had the feeling from the start ( since I've heard that 2 of the answer arcs where beeing left out : Minagoroshi-hen & Matsuribayashi-hen ) that Meakashi-hen & Tsumihoroboshi-hen would definitly Not answer all the questions & aspects that all the previous arcs had given us...
This not because I had played the game or read anything about it.., just purely based on past Anime serie experiences as alot here can relate too aswell...

Hence.., it did not surprise me that this episode was more or less purely just a conclusion of the last one; specialy for those of us who had read the TIP's..
(What I came to the conclusion after seeing 25 + TIP's)
But all and all it was a conclusion none the less.., a conclusion regarding as to how the Higurashi universe revolves.., and Rika's role in it..
This having been when the episode ended.., the last final answer we got to see.

But even still I have to agree..., without the TIP's.., many, and specialy myself would have been at a compleat lost.., possibily on this situation and on many others..
So.., from a non-gamer's point of view, without the TIP's it would have been virtualy impossible to follow the story in its FULL detail as far as have gotten to see it here.

Luckly for us.. there is A.suki , and why.., from what I read here.., everyone who had acompanied the TIP's got more or less a good conclusion of the end, as did I aswell.

Going a bit more in-deep to the episode now..

Soundwise, and like I have been reading.., it seems it lacked something on some crucial moments I agree.., but that has happened throughout all of the series..
Unfortunatly I have no idea how the Game's music's are.. so I cannot compared.., but analysing the Anime one's.., they Did have a good background & composition.., it just.., felt the Tempo needed to be faster..

Specialy in the Keiichi vs Rena fight..., I mean.., I loved the music.., but it felt so slow.., hence.., not making it compleat out of place in my prespective.., but just.. could have been improved..
As to many other previous moments aswell..

As for the animation.., well.., I've always seen Higurashi as having a slightly "diferent" animation the most of the series that where beeing aired during the the time as it was..
But notice when I say diferent here..., its not as in worse.., it is in as more.. "unique".., since all the artists have they're own style..

And altough many did not like it.., I found the changes of attitudes very well done in the characters.., even at the times where they where extreamly exagerated..
I simply saw them as ways that could be used emphasize the said attitudes.., hence I was rarely dissapointed on this subject.

Even though yes yes I know.., many times they (possibly due to the budget) where forced to produce a relatively more poor design..

Speaking about special moments on this episode now..

Well.. without a doubt the Keiichi vs Rena scene was definitly the highlight of the episode.., but not only this.., the way it unfolded and we got to see just how Great Keiichi realy is..
As in.. the way he was able to make Rena fall into herself in order to be able to realise her own mistake...

The conclusion thereafter was very well done aswell..., when Rena falls into herself and asks where did things start to go rong as she cried..., plus not to mencione Rika's expression as content that she had finaly found a way out..

All wonderfully done in my prespective..

I just wished too that they had placed the scene that I read a few posts back here on this thread, the scene regarding where Keiichi shouts out that they had won over the tragedy..

The way it ended to Rika's monologue realy felt lacking some closure on behalf of Keiichi.., since he was able to remember what had happened in Onikakushi-hen.., and now was the only one who could understand Rika, and why he fought as he did to prevent the tragedy..

That and seeing more of the fight between Rika & Rena.., but I have to say.., when I saw the phrase.. I compleatly understod why Sushi-Y had so much love for it

Overall it was a great episode.., compleatly devoted to the conclusion of certain aspects.., but without Minagoroshi-hen & Matsuribayashi-hen there was nothing more that could be done regarding the others.

-
Finaly now.. I would like to give Thanks to the following :

* Everyone here at A.suki for All of they're posts, they're speculations, questions & just regular converse,
* Sushi-Y , LostBlue , kj1980 & all who helped for the extensive work doing the TIP's for each episode,
* [wind] fansub group for providing such Great quality in every episode,
* And last.. to a dear friend for it was his belief that I would love this Anime that got me to first see it.

- Its thanks to all of this that I came to love this Anime so much as I do.., and it has made Higurashi no Naku Koro ni one of the BEST Stories / Anime that I have had the pleasure to see

And the ride is not over yet ^^

"Your Qs Answered here" Thread is next,
There are a couple of speculations that I just goooot to know if they are true or not

-
Why have you created me, Father ?
Wasn't it because you love me.. ?
Old 2006-10-02, 09:46   Link #123
Sakura_Igarashi

Wow, I can't believe I'm doing this. I've browsed this board for a long time, but I just made an account right now because a certain point no one else has addressed is driving me up a wall. ^^'

My video player won't screencap correctly, so I can't provide a picture at the moment but this was the scene. When Rena breaks down and realizes what she's done, K1 tells her she can apologize to Mion. He then says something along the lines of 'It's a good thing we can tell those sisters apart now'. O_o' This just slapped me in the face for the remainder of the episode. Firstly why did he say this out of the blue, and secondly am I crazy or is he referring to Meakashi-hen? Does he also recall those events now as well? If someone can provide a clear explanation of this, my mind would be greatly relieved!
Old 2006-10-02, 10:44   Link #124
MarthX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_Igarashi
Wow, I can't believe I'm doing this. I've browsed this board for a long time, but I just made an account right now because a certain point no one else has addressed is driving me up a wall. ^^'

My video player won't screencap correctly, so I can't provide a picture at the moment but this was the scene. When Rena breaks down and realizes what she's done, K1 tells her she can apologize to Mion. He then says something along the lines of 'It's a good thing we can tell those sisters apart now'. O_o' This just slapped me in the face for the remainder of the episode. Firstly why did he say this out of the blue, and secondly am I crazy or is he referring to Meakashi-hen? Does he also recall those events now as well? If someone can provide a clear explanation of this, my mind would be greatly relieved!
I think he was referring to the injury she inflicted on Mion's head after hitting her with the handle of her cleaver. Sounded like a joke to lighten the mood.
Old 2006-10-02, 15:34   Link #125
BakaOnna

This has been bothering me for a while but...

Deen must have been really bored.
Old 2006-10-02, 16:07   Link #126
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_Igarashi

This, right?

Sounds like kind of an inside joke K1 is having with the audience. I mean for all we know, it was really Shion who got hit on the head with the blunt of a cleaver by Rena.

But anyway, it's not the case that in every chapter Shion is an unknown person by the denizens of Hinamizawa. If you look back to Episode 9 in Tatarigoroshi-hen, you'll notice K1 immediately knew that Shion was Mion's little twin sister and the manager of the baseball team. I'm assuming that once the audience knew of the existence of Shion it wasn't really necessary to keep making a big deal out of it every arc.
Old 2006-10-02, 16:35   Link #127
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
I assumed that was a reference to what they must do in future arcs. (Yes, I am aware Keiichi doesn't understand this)
Old 2006-10-02, 17:57   Link #128
MarthX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaOnna
This has been bothering me for a while but...

Deen must have been really bored.
I think DEEN is going for the world record for worst artwork ever.
Old 2006-10-02, 19:46   Link #129
Sakura_Igarashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai
This, right?

Sounds like kind of an inside joke K1 is having with the audience. I mean for all we know, it was really Shion who got hit on the head with the blunt of a cleaver by Rena.

But anyway, it's not the case that in every chapter Shion is an unknown person by the denizens of Hinamizawa. If you look back to Episode 9 in Tatarigoroshi-hen, you'll notice K1 immediately knew that Shion was Mion's little twin sister and the manager of the baseball team. I'm assuming that once the audience knew of the existence of Shion it wasn't really necessary to keep making a big deal out of it every arc.
I guess that makes sense now. It just seemed so random though. ^^' I suppose I was so caught up in the moment I took the offhand comment a little overboard.
Old 2006-10-03, 01:21   Link #130
Pale Sqwish

ima little confused, is this the last episode, or no?
Old 2006-10-03, 01:39   Link #131
MarthX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Sqwish
ima little confused, is this the last episode, or no?
Unfortunately it is.
Old 2006-10-03, 09:30   Link #132
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
K1 was just trying to make Rena smile or laugh - to get her out of the
depressed mood she was in. You have to admit, it was bleakly funny.

The worst part about that last section where they are playing the card
game beyond the animation is it made it seem that THEY were playing
cards in such a way that the whole show, all 26 episodes was them
playing a card game and the negative outcomes and such were from
bad moves. That's not the case from what I can see and have heard
from players of the game.
Old 2006-10-03, 11:52   Link #133
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
i was really confusing when they focused on the next day and they are playing cards again...for me i thought it was gona be a happy ending until i read the tips and realised that the whole city got crapped on again! that should have been explained imo

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-03, 12:53   Link #134
sagematt
Magician of Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
The worst part about that last section where they are playing the card game beyond the animation is it made it seem that THEY were playing cards in such a way that the whole show, all 26 episodes was them playing a card game and the negative outcomes and such were from bad moves. That's not the case from what I can see and have heard from players of the game.
Did it really seem that way?

Nahhh, you are just reading too much into it. And it's highly improbable that someone would think the same, or else we would all be saying: "Wow, that's some very fscked up imagination those kids have there".
Old 2006-10-03, 14:21   Link #135
Nergol

I'm rather reminded of a friend of mine who, after seeing the Peter Jackson "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy, told me that he was disappointed and was going to wait for a "definitive" film version of "LOTR" to come out. After all, he said, there was so much that was left out from the books.

"Dude", I responded, "if three four-hour-long movies aren't "definitive" enough for you..."

I liked the Higurashi anime. A lot. No, I never played the games. And maybe that's a good thing. I'm taking the anime for what it is, not what is could have been in comparison to something else.

A couple of notes:

An anime is never going to be able to go into the depth that a game or a novel can. That's why games usually make sucky movies. there's an old otaku adage "Game animes are usually about as good as anime games". Higurashi managed to be a great anime on its own merits. Comparing it to the game is pointless.

In an odd way, I think the low-budget animation was actually kind of appropriate. It added to the "low-budget shiny-happy harem show gone terribly wrong" atmosphere of it. Honestly, I can't think of how making Higurashi look as slick as Cowboy Bebop really would have added anything to it.

As for the rooftop fight: it's two teenage kids fighting. It's not Anakin vs. Obi-Wan. It'd be silly if it did look like that.

Yes, there are a lot of questions left unanswered. That's what Season 2 is for.

Whoever it was that compared Higurashi to the Star Trek: TNG episode "Cause And Effect" seems to have been very correct. A list if "time loop" TV shows and movies is on Wikipedia.

I guess the old saying is true - the two things otaku like most in the world is watching anime and complaining about anime. I just see a lot of "Comic Book Guy"-ism in all the complaints. "Worst. X. Ever." Bleh.
Old 2006-10-03, 14:31   Link #136
MarthX

I don't think they'd put the "end" screen if they were planning to have a season 2. We might get an OVA but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.
Old 2006-10-03, 15:39   Link #137
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX
I don't think they'd put the "end" screen if they were planning to have a season 2. We might get an OVA but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.
That "END" message means nothing. It's actually shown at the end of every episode.
Old 2006-10-03, 15:52   Link #138
MarthX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrunch
That "END" message means nothing. It's actually shown at the end of every episode.
Really? I always saw the Genon ad again as the last screen.
Old 2006-10-03, 17:03   Link #139
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX
Really? I always saw the Genon ad again as the last screen.
Yeah, on some of the releases it appears after that, but on others it is cut off.
Old 2006-10-03, 17:05   Link #140
Keiichi no Hibi
THIS. IS WHO I AM.

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi no Hibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
The worst part about that last section where they are playing the card
game beyond the animation is it made it seem that THEY were playing
cards in such a way that the whole show, all 26 episodes was them
playing a card game and the negative outcomes and such were from
bad moves. That's not the case from what I can see and have heard
from players of the game.
I... Didn't see anything like that at all even without reading any of the game stuff And anyway, if you go back to episode 24, the conversation that was going on as soon as the game started was word for word the one that happened in that episode except Chie said "Furude-san" instead of "Ryuuguu-san" which makes it obvious, if it wasn't already, that it was a reset/retake/whatever you call it