AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-01-15, 22:23   Link #1
Xiomega

Send a message via MSN to Xiomega
Router will not let me forward ports...

Wireless Router = DLink DI-614+ 2nd revision

Ok, I know that I have to enter my routers IP address, then in there, I have to go the virtual server. Now, I know to enter ports 6881-6889 one by one into the boxes and such. I know how to do all that. But there is one problem. My router is STUPID. It says there is no more rooms for entries, and I do not understand why not. The other entries are need for IRC and playing games, but I do not want to delete thoughs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.
Xiomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 22:35   Link #2
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

The easiest way for you should be to setup the DMZ and use a firewall. Delete all your current port forwards before configuring the DMZ.
Old 2004-01-15, 22:39   Link #3
Xiomega

Send a message via MSN to Xiomega
2 questions:

1.Delete ALL of them? even the ones there that were there by default, and I have no idea what they do?

2. So configuring the DMZ will basically open everything up so I dont have to enter anything into the Virtual Server page?
Xiomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 00:39   Link #4
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomega
2 questions:

1.Delete ALL of them? even the ones there that were there by default, and I have no idea what they do?

2. So configuring the DMZ will basically open everything up so I dont have to enter anything into the Virtual Server page?
When you put a specific PC's IP address on a router's DMZ (de-militarized zone), what you're doing is instructing the router to forward ALL ports to that particular PC. However, some if not most routers will prioritize your forwarding rules over DMZ. That is why Sway is recommending that you delete your port-forwarding settings first.

However, in order to keep things safe, you either need to install and configure a software firewall (as Sway suggested) on your PC (that would be put on the DMZ) to only open your required ports, or you could disable the DMZ whenever you are not downloading BitTorrents or playing games or on IRC.

Since you mentioned that there are some default forwarding rules that you don't even know what they do, I would suggest you simply delete one of those lines and replace it with a line for BitTorrent's range of listening ports. Or if your router does not allow you to specify ranges, then you would need to delete more than one of those default lines.

Some of the standard ports may include, for example:

- 21 TCP for hosting an FTP server
- 23 TCP for hosting a Telnet server
- 80 TCP for hosting a web (HTTP) server
- etc.

So if you're not planning to host an FTP server, just get rid of the line that deals with TCP port 21. If you don't host a Telnet server, you can get rid of that line too (23 TCP). And so on. Note that you would still be able to use FTP and Telnet client programs, even with those lines deleted. Those lines only affect you if you're hosting those services.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!
Sour-Do is offline   Reply With Quote