AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Negima

Notices

View Poll Results: Negima Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 4 10.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 53.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 15.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 10.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 7.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-25, 13:47   Link #21
ZODDGUTS

Well Asuna did accomplish helping Negi out with Chachamaru moving away from the battlefield leaving Negi to deal with Evangeline in a one on one fight. Magic users need time to cast a spell so their fighting partner they need to deal with the opponents fighting partner if not the magic user is screw. So in a way she did what she needed to do even if that wasn't what Asuna intented too...
Old 2006-10-25, 17:17   Link #22
Abbott
Munior Jember

Finally got round to seeing this episode. The animation is wonderful, but it was the music that really impressed me this time. Can't wait for the OST to come out. I definitely like the fact that it's different to the Manga. If I want the Manga, I'll read the Manga, this gives me something different with the characters that I already love. Great stuff.

Looking forward to seeing episode 4, since I read that it's going to be an original story. I really want to see what the writers do next.
Old 2006-10-25, 17:31   Link #23
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotiman View Post
Asuna is strong without pactio (the contract)!? How weird. Although the animation is better then the previous Mahou Sensei Negima but the previous is more funny and entertaining.
Is that weird? It was like that in the first Mahou Sensei Negima anime. Was it different in the manga?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-10-25, 21:31   Link #24
Guppy

Loved this episode (although Negi didn't really show off his combat magic at all). KonoSetsu continues to be an absolute crack-up, and well worth introducing early. For openers we have Setsuna furiously admonishing Asuna for borrowing money off Konoka, building up to the grand finale:

"Se-chan, if you want to do something you should just say so!" (pause) "Son-in-law..."

Not to mention Konoka's expression as she delivers the punchline. Talking about playing to (or is it with?) the audience...
Old 2006-10-25, 21:39   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Asuna has always been portrayed as very fast, very durable, but not necessarily superhuman in "normal mode" in both the manga and previous anime. The boat toss isn't a huge thing but they probably should have named it the S.S. Hyperbole or something
Old 2006-10-25, 22:22   Link #26
myopius

As Kaoru Chujo said in this thread, "Episode 3 just cemented this in my mind as a series to watch." Ten times better than the first series. I love how they're characterizing all the main characters, i.e. Eva, Chachamaru, Konoka, Setsuna, Asuna. I enjoy how Asuna is more easygoing, and Konoka is less reserved, Setsuna's not so stiff in her communication, and Chachamaru's sense of humor is more artfully conveyed (and Eva's pretty cool as well, but much of it hasn't come out the way she relates to people yet--she's still fairly cold in her small kindnesses). In the other series, many of these character just seemed like interesting ideas of people, but they really seem alive in this series, somehow.

EditL: Oh, and yeah, I might as well say it again, the art is fantastic. Also, I should mention, I am disappointed that Asuna wasn't very useful her first time on the magical battlefield (well, as a magical fighter--as far as boat tosses are concerned, certainly).

The cut to the start of 9th grade really caught me off guard. Can someone tell me... they were in the 8th grade through the earlier Negima series, right? That would make sense in the context of the narrator's statement that is where the story truly "begins"; if they had taken these 3 episodes just as a way to kind of recharacterize the earlier Negima season in an attempt to build off of it maturely, that is. It's very refreshing that I don't know what to expect from this series. Anyway, I'd like to see what changes occurred during the time skip.
Old 2006-10-25, 22:27   Link #27
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

I loved this episode.The animations and coloring is much better than in the first serie.Also the story seems much more serious,wich I like.

I find it odd though that Asuna knew about Pactio already.It seems like the story is much more advanced then I previously thought.That's good,we can move on to the good stuff sooner!
Old 2006-10-25, 22:32   Link #28
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
I loved this episode.The animations and coloring is much better than in the first serie.Also the story seems much more serious,wich I like.

I find it odd though that Asuna knew about Pactio already.It seems like the story is much more advanced then I previously thought.That's good,we can move on to the good stuff sooner!
Chamo explained it to her in Ep02.
Old 2006-10-26, 01:41   Link #29
Kikaifan
Blazing General

I was kind of put-off by the superficial resemblance to Mai-Hime when I was thinking about it, but Negima!? rocks. Evangeline, despite getting her fake butt whooped every single episode, is still awesome for some reason (love the voice, love the magic, might even like the vampire bit despite swearing that stuff off after Buffy). And the animation is just beautiful.

Boat-throw was great too.

Only complaint? Asuna's sword is too big. Not going to be able to take any action scene with that thing in it seriously. She could stand to learn a thing or two about magical-knightdom from ol' Signum. Now that'd make my day...
Old 2006-10-26, 07:36   Link #30
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
Asuna's sword is too big. Not going to be able to take any action scene with that thing in it seriously. She could stand to learn a thing or two about magical-knightdom from ol' Signum. Now that'd make my day...
Remember, Asuna does play a lot of video games. & with the magical power boost, learning how to control the sword could easily be done.
Old 2006-10-26, 09:43   Link #31
rooboy
Umeboshi!

My major disappointment was that Asuna's sword didn't come out as a fan, it came out as a sword. I was really looking forward to the expression on her face and the sound she'd make when she realized she had a harisen instead of the sword.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
The cut to the start of 9th grade really caught me off guard. Can someone tell me... they were in the 8th grade through the earlier Negima series, right?
No, they enter 9th grade (the "final year of middle school") when they pass their finals after the Library Island arc (volume 2). Basically they've taken three episodes to skip the first two volumes of the manga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
Only complaint? Asuna's sword is too big. Not going to be able to take any action scene with that thing in it seriously. She could stand to learn a thing or two about magical-knightdom from ol' Signum. Now that'd make my day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
I like the card design but battlewise the armor given is hardly decent protection is it? It looks good for cosplay but it does not seem to give any additional powers (as of this ep).
That's actually the sword she got in the original manga (when it's not masquerading as a paper fan, anyway). Same goes for the armor (well, the two or three times she's been drawn in armor it's been similar to that). From a real world perspective her armor isn't very protective, but then it doesn't really have to be - it only has to protect better than wearing no armor at all.

In real world Japan, full armor was significantly lighter than what they show (for example) Saber to wear in F/SN. Armor isn't just about protection, you have to balance comfort, mobility and protection. Anytime they show people in Japan, there should be little in the way of plate armor worn. Historically the two worst weather conditions for wearing armor were wet and hot. Someone fully armored in plate in Japan would combine the worst parts of Agincourt and Hattin. A couple of years in the SCA in Missouri teaches you that more armor is not necessarily better armor.
Old 2006-10-26, 14:47   Link #32
Kensuke

Heh, I was too a little disappointed when Asuna's weapon was just a sword, give me a fan!

But excellent episode overall, music starting 11:22 (Mahora's version) was awesome, I loved that! Everything in this episode was done more or less different than in manga, scenes were still recognizible, like the girls that Evangeline controlled "attacked" Takamichi instead of Negi.
Old 2006-10-26, 18:54   Link #33
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke View Post
Heh, I was too a little disappointed when Asuna's weapon was just a sword, give me a fan!

But excellent episode overall, music starting 11:22 (Mahora's version) was awesome, I loved that! Everything in this episode was done more or less different than in manga, scenes were still recognizible, like the girls that Evangeline controlled "attacked" Takamichi instead of Negi.
just a sword? its a gigantic bastard longsword! i duno if anyone thought about it but the sword reminded me of cloud's sword

and the attack on takamichi was soo funny XD he was being harrassed like hell...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-27, 15:10   Link #34
Kisuke06
I see...

Very good episode. I just think that the battle was a little rushed, I wanted to see Asuna fighting Chachamaru. But overall it was a very good episode.

And the Baka Rangers in this one was hilarious.
Old 2006-10-28, 12:48   Link #35
Guido

Indeed, animation for episode three was beautiful and flagrant. The texture, claroscuro, light and shadow contrast, and the soundtrack score recalled on me parallels to Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phase~

There were even a few allusions to it and maybe to My-Otome, regarding the whole contract thing and ChaChamaru wielding a Maria-like sword like Miyu does.

But Asuma's magical girl transformation to Saber Asuma wins kudos, as well as the sensual adult Evangeline who doesn't keep under the rug her child quirks.

The shadows were a complement to Evangeline's overall angst and bitterness, and I do really sympathise with her.

And for a bit of laugh, Asuma's insane strength to pull out a shocked reaction out of Evangeline.

Oh, the Baka-ranger's short of the episode bursted me with laughter. Kowaii sou, Makie!
Old 2006-10-28, 13:35   Link #36
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Negi's awesome factor has been cut back a couple notches in this series. He gets Eva pretty good a couple times in the manga, but here he just sticks to swinging her own stuff back at her and running away whenever he can. Kinda lame.
Eva's still completely awesome in every sense of the word.
Skipped the fan and went for the sword. Seems like a logical thing to do, frankly. The harisen would have been more fun, but I understand why they did what they did. Glad to see they skipped the semi-pactio stuff.
Lake setting > Bridge setting. Fight was way too rushed, though.
Takamichi = owned
Konoka obsessed with Asuna's game was good times. And we're already getting Setsuna/Konoka fodder this early? FPB predicts much comedy here in the future.
9th grade already? If they totally skip Library Island, I will not be pleased; especially if they do what Akamatsu did and give entirely too much time to the tournament.
Music and animation are still great. I love the narrator (I think it's the alien captain from PPD, but I'm not sure). Glad to see this series is still showing promise despite this episode being a bit weaker than the first two.
Old 2006-10-28, 14:35   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I believe its the alien captain VA using a more gravelly voice but I haven't checked the name yet.

Unfortunately, unless they stick Library Island in as a random side story later, I am starting to think we're going to not see it. I can see where the climax might the tournament/festival, especially given the airtime of the show (flashbang for the younger ones).... but I'll be somewhat disappointed if we lose both the Library and Kyoto. That disappointment would be mitigated if the same sorts of things happened in a different context, but Kyoto is where a number of girls get significant development (Setsuna, Eva, Kaede, Mana, Fei, etc)

I guess, though I'm enjoying the show immensely, what I'd be most discontent about is if we completely lost the Nodoka/Yue/Negi substory in favor of action. They have enough time budget to handle a lot of threads and still emphasize the action...

Its still really early to be bumming out about much though. Episode Three was certainly entertaining.
Old 2006-10-28, 19:24   Link #38
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, I believe its the alien captain VA using a more gravelly voice but I haven't checked the name yet.
I believe this is who you're looking for.
Old 2006-10-29, 14:47   Link #39
Pakxenon
popcorn

How did they shove Uguu~ in there at the end??? That's what I'm wondering.
Old 2006-10-30, 07:18   Link #40
ReinhartX

wow its so totally different from the first one....asuna in a knight outfit with the sword already....at first i tot a fan would pop out....and chachamaru with a sword installed....i love the part she did those somersaults.....but its abit sad theres hardly any ecchi parts now
Closed Thread