AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-05, 23:01   Link #61
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Yup, as I mentioned in my post a few posts ago, they take their names from both A Little Princess and The Secret Garden. Heck, it even got me to read A Little Princess in one sitting.
Old 2006-11-06, 01:43   Link #62
DrewGSR

Yea that was quite an exciting first episode, i never thought that all of Sara's friends (who i thought would be the main supporting characters in the series) would get their asses handed to them and gone after 15 mins lmao. Also the person being her brother, you could easily seen that a mile away, right after they were like its "Stain", i was like lemme guess its her bro haha.
Old 2006-11-06, 04:35   Link #63
Zelda1

Great show. Great ending on the 1st ep. I can't wait for the rest.
Old 2006-11-06, 06:43   Link #64
kari-no-sugata

btw, with regards to the title of this show, the "奏光" (soukou) bit seems to be a made up word.

As such, it's hard to translate. However, I suspect it is related to "奏楽" (sougaku) which means "[instrumental] music performance". Changing the 2nd kanji from "楽" to "光" (which means "light") I guess changes it so something like "performance with light".

So how to translate the whole title? Hmm. Tricky. Maybe something like "The light-dancing Strain".
Old 2006-11-06, 11:32   Link #65
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Hrm... so the two possibilities... A strain defined as something that plays light like an instrument, or a strain being itself a performance using light, "performed light." Frankly, I can't decide with the amount of material present at this point ^^;
Old 2006-11-06, 11:32   Link #66
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Wow,that was one of the most amazing 1st episode I've ever seen in a while.Really look forward to the rest.

I also thought the story would be about the 4 pilots going on adventures,so much for that.

The brother going traitor was fairly predictable.What does puzzle me is who is the weird girl he picked up in the lab?She seemed to recognize him too.And why didn't he so much as say a word to Sara?It reminds me a bit of the plot from Ragnarok the animation
Old 2006-11-06, 11:36   Link #67
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
Wow,that was one of the most amazing 1st episode I've ever seen in a while.Really look forward to the rest.

I also thought the story would be about the 4 pilots going on adventures,so much for that.

The brother going traitor was fairly predictable.What does puzzle me is who is the weird girl he picked up in the lab?She seemed to recognize him too.And why didn't he so much as say a word to Sara?It reminds me a bit of the plot from Ragnarok the animation
Judging from only material in the first episode, I'd venture to guess that the (unnamed as of yet) girl original belonged to the Deague and they sent Ralph to go take it back.
Old 2006-11-06, 11:40   Link #68
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
Judging from only material in the first episode, I'd venture to guess that the (unnamed as of yet) girl original belonged to the Deague and they sent Ralph to go take it back.
I'd hazard a guess that she's also the girl in the ED animation with Sara, the one holding the Emily doll.

Great to see this ep subbed so quickly \o/
Old 2006-11-06, 11:42   Link #69
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
Wow, just got finished watching episode 1. Now that is how you kick off a mecha series I think. I noticed some said that some people that worked on Vandread are working on this one. Glad to here that since Vandread is one of my top favorite shows and I can see and hope that the battles will be similar to each other. I got that feeling just from the training session in the beginning and especailly at the fight in the second half of the episode.

Gotta say I didn't expect the episode to end the way they did. I'm mean the brother thing I kinda saw coming but not the friend situation, the lead character just had everything happen all at once. Her crying and screaming at the end is completely justified. If she angst out for a while I don't mind since at this point she's earned the right to I think.
Old 2006-11-06, 12:31   Link #70
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Actually I thought the brother was a goner considering how much they keep mentioning him. It was until the 2nd half that i thought o he turn traitor. I thought when Sara finally reach graduation she will will get news her brother is dead or someting cheesy like that. And along everyone her friends dying in the first ep was totally unexpected included who i thoguht was the bumbling male lead, certainly a nice suprise.

My take is that after 3 months they probalby already investigate Sara and clear her of any charges. Her name change was either suggested her or something she thought of herself. The higher ups probably know but her immediately superior probably doesn't.
Old 2006-11-06, 12:53   Link #71
ccardoso
Banned

Mmmm there are some things I don't understand in this show and they regard the physics references:
1) In the show they say that they discoverd some substance who allowed human's vehicles to go near the speed of the light so they aren't able to go faster. In this case how can they send troops 130 light years away? Even if the time in places where the speed of matter is far less than the one of the light (the planet where Mr Brother lives for example) will increase much more than 130 years, the time during the travel of Mr Brother will be normal so when he will arrive 130 years will have passed anyway... do they send old senile guys in the battlefield?
2) In the show Mr Brother's sister says she will be dead when he will return: ok he will be 260 years old if we think he arrives at the destination and then he comes back immediately. Is this guy immortal?
3) Why did he return when her sister was young? It's physically impossible, even if humans have developed some kind of human-body freezer, unlike the two points mentioned before (even if they didn't mention anything like that in the show).
Old 2006-11-06, 13:15   Link #72
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
I think its a case that if he's traveling faster then or near the speed of light it will take the ship 130 years or less to get to it's location. However due to the actual speeds inside of the ship time will pass a LOT slower. Say a few years only.

The Ender's Game series of novels by Orsen Scott Card has this and talks about it in some detail. It's been a while since I reader the novels though. In that Earth's fleet takes off from Earth some 30 or 40 years ago to reach the battle front, meanwhile those commanding the fleet hadn't been born and only when the fleet nears that location are they born and then picked and trained to lead the ships as communcation can be instant but travel isn't. As a result the main character's age and that of his brother and sister different as the series goes on in that one stays on Earth, the younger ones travel in space then she stays on one planet and the youngest (Ender) goes to another but him and the sister are close in age but their eldest is elderly having fully lived out his life on Earth by the time the other two are still somewhat young. It can be confusing times.

I hope they at least try to explain it cause it can make for an interesting topic.
Old 2006-11-06, 13:20   Link #73
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso View Post
Mmmm there are some things I don't understand in this show and they regard the physics references:
1) In the show they say that they discoverd some substance who allowed human's vehicles to go near the speed of the light so they aren't able to go faster. In this case how can they send troops 130 light years away? Even if the time in places where the speed of matter is far less than the one of the light (the planet where Mr Brother lives for example) will increase much more than 130 years, the time during the travel of Mr Brother will be normal so when he will arrive 130 years will have passed anyway... do they send old senile guys in the battlefield?
2) In the show Mr Brother's sister says she will be dead when he will return: ok he will be 260 years old if we think he arrives at the destination and then he comes back immediately. Is this guy immortal?
3) Why did he return when her sister was young? It's physically impossible, even if humans have developed some kind of human-body freezer, unlike the two points mentioned before (even if they didn't mention anything like that in the show).

I call that the gunbuster effect.

The main graduate form high school and spend maybe a yr or so in space and when she came back her best friend is in her late 20s, married and have a baby already.

The physics behind this I believed is real but you probably need a physic major to explain it to you or look it up on wikipedia.
Old 2006-11-06, 13:45   Link #74
ShingoKun
Hot.. Hot!!

Send a message via AIM to ShingoKun Send a message via MSN to ShingoKun
its so crazy how it ended in ep.1. I would've thought that the friends would live but would be the comforters of sara when she discovers her bro as the evil guy.
Old 2006-11-06, 13:46   Link #75
ccardoso
Banned

I'm not a physic but I think that the time is relative to the observer... so what is one year for me can be one century for you or one second for another.
Said that in the show we have two times: the one of Mr Brother and the one of his sister... we know that the time passes slower and slower when the speeds go near the speed of the light, but not for the observer who is going at the speed of the light: for him 10 minutes still remains 10 minutes, even if on Earth (or whatever that fake planet is called) those 10 minutes means 1 century!
If the guy is sent 130 light years away at a speed near the one of the light then he will age of more than 130 years, while on his home planet thousands of years have passed, so her sister should be gone multiple times...
So the physics in this show really sucks because we have the guy who did a nice round-trip travel and he should be 260 years old looking young as nothing happend while on his planet another geological era should have started instead we have his babe sister alive as a teenager!
Old 2006-11-06, 13:48   Link #76
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso View Post
I'm not a physic but I think that the time is relative to the observer... so what is one year for me can be one century for you or one second for another.
Said that in the show we have two times: the one of Mr Brother and the one of his sister... we know that the time passes slower and slower when the speeds go near the speed of the light, but not for the observer who is going at the speed of the light: for him 10 minutes still remains 10 minutes, even if on Earth (or whatever that fake planet is called) those 10 minutes means 1 century!
If the guy is sent 130 light years away at a speed near the one of the light then he will age of more than 130 years, while on his home planet thousands of years have passed, so her sister should be gone multiple times...
So the physics in this show really sucks because we have the guy who did a nice round-trip travel and he should be 260 years old looking young as nothing happend while on his planet another geological era should have started instead we have his babe sister alive as a teenager!

This is only the 2nd eps, you might want to give it more time for a explantion of the science of the series before you bash it.

How many eps is this series? I really can't see this with less then the full 26 Eps.
Old 2006-11-06, 13:53   Link #77
ccardoso
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
This is only the 2nd eps, you might want to give it more time for a explantion of the science of the series before you bash it.

How many eps is this series? I really can't see this with less then the full 26 Eps.
Of course I'm basing my opinions of the few things I know about Einstein's relativity... unless they give us a detailed explanation on how physic work in the universe I think our model applies. Anyway I didn't say the show sucks... it isn't like we watch a show for its physic, isn't it?
Old 2006-11-06, 14:06   Link #78
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

13 eps. Though a second season is possible (like Vandread as DangerMouse and others suggested).

As for physics debate, clearly the biggest mystery is how Ralph got back and how he changed so much (silver hair, scar, emotionally sterilized) and how he has come to be an enemy of the Union, rather than it's golden boy. It will take some time to be revealed as it is Sara's mission and the core story...
Old 2006-11-06, 14:06   Link #79
HazardNights

Like said we don't really know how the brother got back or what exactly is going on in space and what new technology was found or made. Then again I've only seen the first episode and not the second one. So many there is more I'm missing.
Old 2006-11-06, 14:20   Link #80
ccardoso
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
13 eps. Though a second season is possible (like Vandread as DangerMouse and others suggested).

As for physics debate, clearly the biggest mystery is how Ralph got back and how he changed so much (silver hair, scar, emotionally sterilized) and how he has come to be an enemy of the Union, rather than it's golden boy. It will take some time to be revealed as it is Sara's mission and the core story...
I don't think the physical details were discussed in details... it will remain just a mere plot device. Anyway this first episode is the best first episode I've ever seen in anime.
Closed Thread