AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-11-06, 07:45   Link #1
Bloodseeker

Friendly advice for newbies looking to choose a bittorrent program...

This isn't an actual call for help, but I think that it goes here.

I've been using nothing but regular ol' BitTorrent ever since I first started downloading anime late last year. I'd heard that it wasn't a great program, but I never guessed just how bad it really was.

All I've got to say is thank you BitTorrent 5.0 "upgrade". If it weren't for you and your constant crashes, I may never have gotten fed up with BitTorrent and looked for a new bittorrent client.

After being quickly fed up with 5.0's problems, I downloaded uTorrent, which is a program that I've seen a lot of praise for around the anime community. I was surprised at fast it was... I think that the fastest that I ever saw BitTorrent download was about 90KB/s on the later parts of the days that the new TMoHS episodes were released. I was expecting the a new bittorrent client would be maybe 10KB/s faster, but uTorrent is currently doing 143KB/s with Death Note.

Bottom line: BitTorrent sucks. I wish that I would have dropped it sooner.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 08:23   Link #2
Nidas

I actually prefer BitTornado to uTorrent but it hasn't been working so great since I updated Norton. Since then I have (out of necessity) switched to uTorrent and it seems pretty good, but not really to the extent people go on about. For the newbie, there really is no true substitute for trying out various clients and finding the best one for you
Nidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 09:13   Link #3
Bloodseeker

I wasn't saying that uTorrent is the greatest, since its only the second client that I've tried... I was just saying that they shouldn't take the route that I did and just go with the client that's named after the type of program that it is.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 10:42   Link #4
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
i use azureus, granted its a frigging memory hog, but when you have enuff ram to satisfy it can be pretty fast.

Mind you i did have a little fiddle with utorrent and it's not bad. if you are memory concious i would reconmmend it.
Old 2006-11-18, 10:23   Link #5
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
i myself am using Bittornado which isnt giving me any trouble, i tried Azureus but i found it a difficult program, i booted it up and went all @-@ whaaaa?!

Bittornado though looks entirely the same as the old Bittorrent but has a few added functions what make it a good bittorrent program, you can pick which episodes you wanna download first, which you want later and check ont hings.. other than that i cant really call on anything, if you want something simple id suggest bittornado, thinkt he only prob it has sometimes is when the file names are written in a certain kind of japanese text, like kanji or something, but i only had this once and the file was also uploaded on another server for direct downloading to make sure people wouldnt have trouble
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 13:36   Link #6
Sazelyt
F i n

The old versions of Azureus had problems, mainly memory and CPU related problems. New version does not have those. And comparatively speaking, Firefox gives me more headaches regarding memory than Azureus and edonkey (or emule) combined.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-22, 23:25   Link #7
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

I have found utorrent the easiest to work with, and it has some advanced features and good speed. I also sometimes use bittornado, which has a clunkier interface, but gives me great speed. Harder to do multiple torrents with, however.

Azureus may be better now, but it used to slow my system to a crawl, so I stopped using it. It is complex and full-featured. BitComet was my client of choice for a year or so, but it started giving me problems, and it apparently does things which bother some tracker admins. I don't know the details. BitComet has a nice interface, but utorrent is very similar and maybe even nicer.

But there is definitely no substitute for trying out various programs and finding out which one suits your way of working. I'd try utorrent, Azureus and BitTornado, if I were just starting. They are three very different animals and give you a good idea of the range.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 19:11   Link #8
Truenofan

Send a message via AIM to Truenofan Send a message via Yahoo to Truenofan
i've downloaded on bittornado at around 300-400kb/s, never maxed my connection before though. i'll see how utorrent works, hopefully good.
Truenofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 19:34   Link #9
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
I use Azureus. utorrent doesn't run on OS X or Linux so thats out of the question. Transmission has annoyingly low connection limits. Last I checked Bittorrent isn't a UB so nuts to that.

I've never had problems with Azureus slowing my computer down but I've never used the Windows version so that may be why. It runs relatively well on my Macs and my lone Linux PC.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-05, 22:18   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Being an all-Linux household and an open-source devotee, I've used Azureus from the start. Currently with about six torrents running it's using about 85 megs. One of the things I like about using Azureus on Linux is that, being a native X-Windows application, I can run it on one machine but export its display to another. Usually I run Azureus on my file/print/mail server and ship the display to my workstation. That keeps the load off the machine I'm working on.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 01:47   Link #11
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
Quote:
µtorrent doesn't run on OS X or Linux so thats out of the question.
Tell that to the people running it on those platforms. They'll be very argumentative with you on the point. (You can't spell Wine without "win" apparently)

Quote:
Transmission has annoyingly low connection limits
And abusive/broken code that makes it unwelcome on trackers.

Quote:
Last I checked Bittorrent isn't a UB so nuts to that.
The official client is python based. Interpreted languages don't need their own UB as long as the interpreter is compatible.
DWKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 11:48   Link #12
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKnight View Post
Tell that to the people running it on those platforms. They'll be very argumentative with you on the point. (You can't spell Wine without "win" apparently)
Er, wrong. If you have a Intel Mac, then Wine may be an option (googled: http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-run-utorrent-in-osx/)

I don't know if Epyon9283's Mac is PPC or Intel based, but my Mac mini is an old G4 model, so running Wine may not be as easy and most certainly not be as fast as Azureus probably would be (on PPC).

And even if uTorrent+Wine is faster and less resource intensive, then it still lacks the Mac OS X integration. You can work around that, but more Mac-specific ports are better IMHO.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote