AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-20, 10:02   Link #1
Zelgadiss

Exclamation Someone. Just. Help. Me. PLEASE!!

I'm gone as soon as someone's been able to help stupid me!!

Everywhere I read *Install Codec* *Install Codec* *Install Codec*...

But... HOW do I install a codec?? Where do I get such a thing?? This Media-Configuration-etc-thingie didn't help me a bit... Maybe I'm just too stupid to get it to work but everything I downloaded, tried, gnawed and yelled at just. didn't. work... and it's driving me insaaaane... *hiss*... Yes. I read the stickies...

All I need... Is this damned Xvid-thingie to be working in my DivX-Player-Thingie... Nothing. More.

It should just play the whole file... Not only the sound... And also not bringing the thing I call *my computer* to crash all the time...

Yes. I posted this before, but since no one's answering me and I'm quite sure I'm kinda damaging the thing in front of me by trying so much useless stuff on it I just repeat it here.

I'm able to understand you guys... You just have to taaaaalk to meeee...
*silently curses those people that always invent new stuff that drives others into desperation*

*sigh*

Well. Someone here able to talk to something that knows nearly nothing about codecs...??
Old 2004-01-20, 10:13   Link #2
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelgadiss
All I need... Is this damned Xvid-thingie to be working in my DivX-Player-Thingie... Nothing. More.
DivxPlayer's output for xvids is horrible, get another player, like BSPlayer or Media Player Classic.
Old 2004-01-20, 10:15   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Chances are, nobody replied to your first post because you had 'hidden' in the discussion thread about Chrno Crusade 7.

If you want someone to help, it's only polite to post in the correct forum in the first place (like you did this time).

So, installing a codec.

The Media Configuration Guide gives you a link where you can find the ffdshow-alpha 20030523 codec (I assume you realise that all you need do is click on the underlined words to the left of this to go to the download page).

The general consensus is that all you need is ffdshow and no other codecs. While you can have DivX and XviD, it is considered easier if you don't bother.

But if you do want the XviD, then go here and download the XviD-1.0-Beta3-26122003.exe codec.

Once you have downloaded it, you run the exe file. This installs the codec for you. That's true for most codecs, just download the codec and run the exe file you just downloaded. After that, you don't need to touch the codec again, you only need to install it and forget about it. But a word of warning, only install the codecs you need - no more - So you only need to have ffdshow installed or the DivX and XviD. It makes things so much easier if you do this.
Old 2004-01-20, 10:32   Link #4
Zelgadiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
DivxPlayer's output for xvids is horrible, get another player, like BSPlayer or Media Player Classic.

Did download the Classic-Player... It's so simple that... Well... ou know the metaphor *A book with seven seals*...?? *frown*... If the new Media Player won't play it... Eto... Why should the old version do it...?? *scratch head*... Might sound dumb but I don't get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Chances are, nobody replied to your first post because you had 'hidden' in the discussion thread about Chrno Crusade 7.

If you want someone to help, it's only polite to post in the correct forum in the first place (like you did this time).

So, installing a codec.

The Media Configuration Guide gives you a link where you can find the ffdshow-alpha 20030523 codec (I assume you realise that all you need do is click on the underlined words to the left of this to go to the download page).

The general consensus is that all you need is ffdshow and no other codecs. While you can have DivX and XviD, it is considered easier if you don't bother.

But if you do want the XviD, then go here and download the XviD-1.0-Beta3-26122003.exe codec.

Once you have downloaded it, you run the exe file. This installs the codec for you. That's true for most codecs, just download the codec and run the exe file you just downloaded. After that, you don't need to touch the codec again, you only need to install it and forget about it. But a word of warning, only install the codecs you need - no more - So you only need to have ffdshow installed or the DivX and XviD. It makes things so much easier if you do this.

... ... ...
...phewwww... why making things easy if it's possible to make them complicated... *mumble*...
*sigh*
Well... Let's... Try...

Eto... This ffdshow or however it's been named... I also downloaded... Many odd files I honestly didn't know where to put them. Will try the other one I guess...

What brings the next question... Where do I install this things to...?? I mean... If I just give them an own folder they just are odd so I think they need to get installed to a certain place...?? Wrong or might there be a tad true in this...??
Old 2004-01-20, 13:19   Link #5
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

ffdshow step-by-step

1. Run the exe file
2. Click "Next"
3. Click "I agree"
4. Click "Next"
5. Don't change the default destination folder
6. Click "Install"
7. ffdshow is installed.
Old 2004-01-22, 00:39   Link #6
Rheinhard
Feldmarschall

Send a message via AIM to Rheinhard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelgadiss
Did download the Classic-Player... It's so simple that... Well... ou know the metaphor *A book with seven seals*...?? *frown*... If the new Media Player won't play it... Eto... Why should the old version do it...?? *scratch head*... Might sound dumb but I don't get it...
I just replied to this question in the Chrno Crusade 7 thread, but I'll echo what I said again. Your simplest bet is to download one of the standalone players which require no fiddling with codecs or what have you. I personally like VLC best, especially now that they have greatly improved the control window GUI for Mac OS X (but VLC is available for almost every operating system in wide use, not just for the Mac!!)

There is also the Media Configuration Guide in this topic, which mentions the standalone players first, but looks like most of the information below was written focusing on installing ffdshow and fiddling with codecs.
Closed Thread