AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-12-23, 09:39   Link #1
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
computer wont turn on (yellow light)

I was fiddeling around my my computers graphics yesterday, trying to see what I could do about installing a new one that I go in the mail a few days back, and now the thing wont even turn on. All I get now is a yellow light instead of a green light on the power switch. I've tried unplugging the power supply and leaving it off over night, but it still wont turn on. What can I do?
Old 2006-12-23, 10:13   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Were you fideling with over-clocking?
I know of some problems with things like that where you would get black screen etcetera.
Solution: reset the Basic I/O Device (aka bios), just remove the little uber battery on the mother board, leave it alone a liltte and then put it back, it should reset the bios to safe settings.

But anyway the first part of your post is a lil' confusing to say the least. Above I presumed you were refering to some software issue.
Old 2006-12-23, 11:16   Link #3
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII View Post
Were you fideling with over-clocking?
I know of some problems with things like that where you would get black screen etcetera.
Solution: reset the Basic I/O Device (aka bios), just remove the little uber battery on the mother board, leave it alone a liltte and then put it back, it should reset the bios to safe settings.

But anyway the first part of your post is a lil' confusing to say the least. Above I presumed you were refering to some software issue.
what does this "uber battery" look like? Is it the power supply? Becuase I unplugged it and left it thier overnight but that didn't help at all. I also remember removing the power cord to the motherboard fan just too see if that size cord fitted with my new 9800's outlet (it did), but then I plugged it right back in thier.

And I wasn't doing any kind of overclocking
Old 2006-12-23, 11:27   Link #4
Lost

What do you mean by won't even turn on? As in the computer completely does not respond when you press "power"? Nothing moves?

Or are your fans running? Etc etc.

The "uber battery" is a flat circular silverish disc (looks very much like a coin lying on its side, only a little wider in diameter) that occupies some-part of your motherboard. It should be obvious to find. It powers your BIOS when your computer is off. Removing it will reset your BIOS, as BC said.

But tell us more before you do anything.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-23, 20:58   Link #5
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Whenever I try to power it on by pressing the power on switch, the light for the switch (which is usually green) is a yellowish orange color. The fan moves on occasion, but only for a few seconds and then stops entirely. All of the lights for the motherboard are on as usual, but nothing shows up on screen.

Will reseting the BIOS act like reformating the HD? Becuase I'd like to avoid doing that...

edit: removed the battery-looking thing (which I assume is the BIOS) then unplugged the computer and then plugged/reinstalled everything again. Still nothing

edit2: nm got it to work somehow. Thank you for all of your help ^__^

Last edited by Hayamaneko; 2006-12-23 at 23:27.
Hayamaneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-23, 23:32   Link #6
Lost

You said you removed the power-cord to the fan? Have you checked if its in placed properly, or damaged?

If the lights are on and the yellowish orange color is maintained, I dont think its a power-supply problem. (BTW, can you hear if your harddisk is spinning, or try pressing the CD-drive button, can the tray eject?) From the looks of it; I think its most likely a motherboard problem.

Something similar to your problem (yellow light (there was a funny beeping sound too), nothing would load) happened to me last time, and when I brought it to a shop they discovered a hairline crack on my MB. (could you by chance have pressed the powersupply cord into the MB with too much force?)

Erm, sorry, afraid I can't be of much more help.. I'd recommend you to stick around, see if anyone has anything else to suggest, if not be prepared to bring it to a computer repair shop.

Just for your info: That circular battery-like disc isnt the BIOS, it is a battery. The BIOS should be contained in a chip somewhere nearby the battery (dont remove that chip). Removing the battery will not exactly reformat the BIOS, it will merely reset the settings of the BIOS back to default (i.e. factory default settings). (Erm you did put back the battery after taking it out right?) Since I dont think you tinker around with your BIOS, it resetting shouldnt be of concern to you.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-23, 23:34   Link #7
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I think its more hardware realted than anything to do with fideling / changing settings . The battery doesnt effect the boot it just resets your Bios Clock . but just make sure cpu fans running .