AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-10-23, 02:28   Link #1
A11Skillz

H.264 Files Encoded into .avi

Hey guys,

I just have a quesiton. I have a bunch of video files that this guy encoded via H.264 inyo .avi files from HD rips. What would be the best filter/codec combo/pack to use with these so that they all run smoothly with all other files.

Here is my current setup

MPC using realtime Alternative
FFDShow
DirectShowFilter Pack

I basically used this cuz the guy that encoded them says it works best for him. Problem is, not all of his h.264 avi files run smoothly. Some work fine, but a lot of the others the audio does not sync with the video. I tried VLC and Mplayer, but those don't work as well either. VLC would have pixelatation and Mplayer sometimes the bottom half of the player gets blurry.

Is this a problem with my computer? or just his bad encoding jobs? B/c it seems like other people are using it fine and they dont' complain that much.

Here are my computer specs
2.0 Ghz Pentium 4
512mb ram
Windows XP Sp1

Any help or suggestions would be great appreciated.
Thanks so much!

EDIT..................EDIT.......

In response to Nosanninwa
Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, i've tried CCCP and it doesn't work either. It actually makes some of the files that have worked before with the setup i have above not work. And i know, the h264--> avi is a bad combination. But thanks for the reply.

Last edited by A11Skillz; 2006-10-23 at 02:59. Reason: Additional info needed
A11Skillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 02:37   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I question the encoding skills of anyone who would put h264 into an avi container, but putting that aside...

In order to minimize all possible conflicts and problems, the nice folks at CCCP have put together a playback pack of extraordinary magnitude. Unlike any other pack in existence, this is composed solely of the minimal components necessary and all of these components have been exhaustively tested to work well with each other. Give it a try. First uninstall all of the codecs and filters you have, including ffdshow and directshowfilter pack. Then download and install from:
http://www.cccp-project.net/
Also, media player classic is the recommended player for problem videos that cause trouble. But it seems you're already using that.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-23, 12:15   Link #3
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Try CoreAVC.
Old 2006-11-16, 04:04   Link #4
Shounen
Away for good

Using h264 in AVI works, altho it's funny. First we wont have any b-frames. 2nd I bet this was done by some mp4/mkv container hater. So I bet that everytime you try and run one, you'll get tough playback problem in the begining. But it should run smoothly after say 10-20sec or so.

Anyways I have used ffdshow and mpc, works fine without problems (running h264 in AVI that is). Altho h264 in AVI is an hack, so is XviD. So I wont go into that any further

Shounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 17:49   Link #5
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I question the encoding skills of anyone who would put h264 into an avi container, [...]
I would certainly agree with that.

Quote:
but putting that aside...

In order to minimize all possible conflicts and problems, the nice folks at CCCP have put together a playback pack of extraordinary magnitude.
In my case, I don't use CCCP for various reasons. However, I've found instances where H.264 in AVI do and don't work. See below for details. Your choice of player DOES seem to matter. Why, I haven't fully worked out yet.

Quote:
media player classic is the recommended player for problem videos that cause trouble. But it seems you're already using that.
MPC seems to have the least problems with any such file. However, here's what I've observed:

I run Winamp to play most of my media at home (I'm a sound freak, and I know that people don't want you to run videos in Winamp, but hear me out). I run MPC on standby in case I need it. Plus I've engineered my setup so that the same components are used when it makes contact with the file regardless of which player I use. That is to say, I don't use any of MPC's internal splitters and decoders, leaving that to Haali for splitting and ffdshow for most decoding duties.

I have found that Winamp does not like H.264 AVI files which start with a non-keyframe. It'll just sit there and do nothing until I hit the stop button. This is regardless of whether ffdshow (libavcodec) or CoreAVC is handling decoding work. If a given H.264 AVI file starts with a keyframe AND it's properly encoded, it'll work. MPC, on the other hand, will play (just about) anything.

In MPEG parlance, an I frame is a keyframe, and a "normal" MPEG GOP (group of pictures) starts with something OTHER than an I frame). Unless I'm gravely mistaken, an AVI video track MUST begin with a keyframe. DivX and XviD have gotten around that by rearranging a GOP so that each block begins with an I frame. The decoder then fixes the order, decoding it the way it should be. However, I don't think anyone's nearly that willing to "fix" H.264 to get around that limitation, seeing as all other developers must also incorporate that "fix" in order to interoperate. This is why you see a big move to MKV (and to a lesser degree, MP4) by anyone encoding with H.264.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 22:27   Link #6
brood-faun

I actually found BSplayer handles x264 codecs in avi very smoothely, better than MPC(in term of better seeking ability and thus playing too).
brood-faun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 23:33   Link #7
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brood-faun View Post
I actually found BSplayer handles x264 codecs in avi very smoothely, better than MPC(in term of better seeking ability and thus playing too).
Just a point of clarification, H.264 is the standard in question. x264 is an implementation of same, in this case, an encoder, and also happens to be the only known open-source H.264 encoder. libavcodec is another, in this case, it's the only known open-source H.264 decoder.

That aside, just because you can play it doesn't mean it's a good idea. There are containers better-suited for H.264, those being MKV and MP4. Those containers will allow you to fully exploit all the features H.264 has to offer.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-01, 11:40   Link #8
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Why are you bumping a month-old thread with completely unrelated information?
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-01, 23:02   Link #9
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Not to mention BSPlayer has nothing to make H.264/AVC any faster or slower. Well perhaps its own whack renderer would make it slower, since it doesn't work with anything known to man .

/me demands flames to burn down the house
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote