AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Old 2007-01-03, 10:28   Link #1
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Users affected by the Taiwan quake internet jam - How were you affected?

Disclaimer in case people misunderstand: In NO way would I attempt to belittle the lost of lives that the earthquake itself caused, no matter how "insignificant" the number is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_taiwan_earthquake

First there was the quake just after Boxing Day. (Coincidentally, 2 years after THAT big one in 2004, causing the once in a few centuries disaster that was the Indian Ocean Tsunami. )

Casualty in this quake was minor (only 2 killed in Taiwan, may their souls rest in peace), but the consequences it caused to telecommunications was severe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_ta...communications

Five submarine optic fibre cables near Taiwan were damaged as a result of the quake, this causes internet traffic from Taiwan, Hong Kong, China and SE Asia to slow down considerably. Especially traffic to North America. Japan and Korea doesn't seem to be affected as their cables to North America doesn't go through Taiwan.

Most ISPs have to re-routed their traffic to North America via Australia, but loading times for foreign websites, especially North America, have been painfully slow. This includes posting messages to ASuki as well, in fact, I was forced to re-post this message after having to wait forever for the first time after clicking "Save".

I find that BitTorrent still works though, probably due to its multiple seeds.

At least I found time to compile some stuff while I was waiting, and managed to complete the Kanon game just before the New Year.

Here is where users affected can come vent their frustrations on how slow the bloody web can be when ISPs rely heavily on one cable and have little back-up.

Once again, this is of course nothing compared to the tragic loss of lives, however insignificant the number. And I make no attempt to belittle their passing away whatsoever.

It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2007-01-04 at 07:15.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 11:05   Link #2
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I'll prolly be banned because of the unappropriate words I'll used so I'll summarized.

I'm pissed.

^^v.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 16:54   Link #3
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Oddly enough, I'd be less pissed, and more thankful it wasn't worse..

Loss of internet vs. loss of life... hmmm..

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 23:15   Link #4
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

well.. I'm thankfull that it didnt ends up like the 1 previously, but still, I've lost a few quotes in the freelancing job I'm doing.. So yea.. I'm still pissed.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 04:11   Link #5
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Fiber Optics? I wished i had that.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 04:47   Link #6
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
Well, there's this little thing I'd like to call 'the loss of human lives' that, at least in my humble opinion, would be far more important then a disruption in your internet connection. Of course, how could one blame anybody for not sympathizing? In the face of economic loss and inconvenience, who gives a shit? I mean, only 2 people died right? No real harm, what could they have done for the economy anyway lol. Thankfully though I still managed to get my free animedoujinsimwhatever game ^.^
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 05:13   Link #7
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

Well that would only be a big problem for Net Business and such, but alteast it wasn't a big hit which causes real life problems like multiple MIA/Deaths and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
Oddly enough, I'd be less pissed, and more thankful it wasn't worse..

Loss of internet vs. loss of life... hmmm..
I'd 2nd.
Aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 07:00   Link #8
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka View Post
Well, there's this little thing I'd like to call 'the loss of human lives' that, at least in my humble opinion, would be far more important then a disruption in your internet connection. Of course, how could one blame anybody for not sympathizing? In the face of economic loss and inconvenience, who gives a shit? I mean, only 2 people died right? No real harm, what could they have done for the economy anyway lol. Thankfully though I still managed to get my free animedoujinsimwhatever game ^.^
Let me set the record straight: In NO way would I attempt to belittle the lost of lives that the earthquake itself caused, no matter how "insignificant" the number is. If anyone else feels the thread may seem insensitive, then I do apologize.

I sincerely hope that those two people would rest in peace and their families would be able to move on with their lives (that includes a mother, who left behind a set of twin brothers, of which one brother was forced to amputate his leg). Not to mention the property damage it has caused in Taiwan and mainland China.

I hope this clears any remaining misunderstanding this thread may have caused. My original intention was merely to reflect the "secondary" inconveniences this natural disaster has indirectly caused. (I have changed the title of this thread from "vent your frustrations" to "discuss your experience" as well. )

Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed by how slow I had to post even this message and edit the title itself, which is why I made this topic in the first place. Once again, this is of course nothing compared to the lost of lives. This thread merely serves to discuss about this unprecedented regional disruption in internet connection.

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 08:17   Link #9
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

It was pretty bad a few days ago, a lot of trackers inaccessible, but right now most of them work, just slower.