AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 133 70.37%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 43 22.75%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 5.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.53%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-01-06, 12:47   Link #121
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Sorry, couldn't resist For those who are keeping score:
I was resisting. I just think that he doesn't like sad episodes. Besides, you guys shouldn't let it get to you imo.

Anyways....

I almost cried during this episode. Pretty good considering my bad work week.

The combination of Sayuri's back story with Mai's arc definitely gives a more powerful impact than the Toei version.

Spoiler:


Poor Yuichi's going to need heavy duty counseling by the end of the series.

Ep. 14...This means that the series will be ending in 3 months.

Maybe we'll get an OVA too.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 12:48   Link #122
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guze no Sekai
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Just done with episode 14...And since it's been talked about so much already, spoilers would be as good as price tags on an overdue can of peanuts.

-If this episode was meant to play more on emotional value, it succeeded, IMO, in Sayuri's story of her being an Onee-chan and Mai's hysteria only. Somehow it gave me a greater feeling of anticipation than emotional tugging of heartstrings unlike the Makoto arc.

Of course, Sayuri's story about Kazuya gave a little explanation about her behaviour towards Mai. It somehow bothers me a little that for all the chains put in place about him unintentionally by Sayuri, he only finds enough reason to smile only in his dying days. Was it the guilt that allowed her to carry on, and to care more for Mai as she thought she should have done for Kazuya? By no means, though, do I believe that Sayuri would replace Kazuya with Mai. Perhaps it just might be that guilt-driven instinct that perked her interest in Mai and made her want to take care of her as a good friend. The scar on her wrist seems quite obvious what had happened, so I won't go there.

-Subtlety comes into play for yet another arc. We know Mai cares for Sayuri, at the very start of her arc, but to what extent? The scenes shown with Mai, Sayuri and Yuuichi, despite seeming light-hearted and not that important plays a part in showing the relationship between Sayuri and Mai (well, Yuuichi was thrown into the mix, so it gets a little confusing ). IMO, the fact that they showed Mai and Sayuri's first meeting, Mai going berserker mode over Sayuri getting hurt twice (during the ball and after the goddamned demons attack) and her apparent show of despair was a 'snowballing effect', starting from the small, somewhat unnoticeable hints of that to the bigger reactions and events that occur. Very, very well done.

-Despite what people say, Mai's reply to Sayuri's "Am I in your way?" was extremely appropriate, if not a little bit too tactless. The attack on Sayuri just confirmed that Mai seemed so cold and aloof at times only because there's a warm, big heart within that cared so much for her friends that she rather distance herself from them in order for them not to get hurt (First, the dog and boar treatment with Yuuichi and the tactless reply to Sayuri). While I have my doubts on how Sayuri got to know about Mai's whereabouts at night, I just can't help but feel extremely sympathetic and sorry for Mai when Sayuri was hit by the demons.

-Speaking of which, I really do hope Yuuichi and Mai somehow quadrupled the treatment Sayuri received to the demons. It's only right to return the favour, after all.

-Yuuichi scores 'manly' points once again, courtesy of Tomokazu Sugita as well as how he got Mai to pull together and calm her down as well as standing up to the fight instead of thinking of stupid ways to escape or putting finding out the reasons why he was targeted as a top priority. He's fast becoming one of my favorite male leads to boot.

-Of course, the humor doesn't fail to impress. The focus on the terrible jam, butter knife and bread with Ayu in the background-Almost made me feel as though I was watching a scene where you see a killer's knife in the foreground with his victim in the background walking, facing the opposite way, not knowing what's going to hit her.

-Points to Nayuki and Yuuichi for the conversation about Yuuichi with bunny ears, and the shiritori thrashing by Mai.

Mai: "Kirin-san."
U1: "....."
*stares at each other*
Mai:"...Kirin."

When the rules of the game become more apparent to me, it tickled my funny bone non-stop then and there.

-I think it's now painfully obvious who's the friend that 'left' Mai a long time ago, possibly causing her to be what she is now. If you still can't get it, watch the part with the bunny ears, Mai's part in the OP and about the times where she was talking about her friend from before.

Another perfect 10, no less, thanks to the feeling of anticipation it left me with.

One last thing: Screw your comments, DanielSong39. I think I had enough of them, because most of them are simply not convincing and unjustifiable. Come on, man; Just be goddamned honest and say you're watching it for the sake of finishing something you've delved into for a considerable amount of time. If not, just stay out of the commenting (to save some grace) and out of the polls (so as not to incur too much wrath). That's all I have to say. This topic will no longer be brought up. Gets me vexed sometimes.
__________________
Owaranai Destiny is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 12:54   Link #123
rogueblade
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bloody hell, that was just an awesome episode.
The second half was just so powerful emotively. I actually think Sayuri's story (so far) is much better than Makoto's, but then again maybe it's because i don't like vixens, heh.
I think that Mai's arc will go on for another two episodes, mainly because for it to end next episode, the fighting would have to be over by the half way mark, and then the entire Mai/Yuiichi history would have to be done in under half the remaining time, and the conclusion squeezed into the final moments. Of course, i may be wrong as i've never played the original game, or watched K 2k2 (never seen why i should, as it seems to begeneral opion that 2k6 is better in most respects).
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=41301&dateline=117584  6736
rogueblade is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 13:00   Link #124
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Fresno or Sacramento, CA
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
I thought when Yuuichi's holding Mai on her face, I thought he's gonna kiss her
What Yuuichi was trying to do is pound some sense into Mai.

Remember, this is a girl who just moments prior went on a sword-swinging rampage, causing a considerable amount of property damage. Then, she tried to kill herself. He was cradling her head like that to make eye contact with Mai, making sure she heard and understood everything he had to say. It's a very drastic measure to take, but what she did was equally if not more drastic.

Quote:
Well, a hug isn't all that bad no?
The hug at the end was definitely appropriate because both of them had seen something dreadful happen to their friend.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 15:39   Link #125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJustman View Post
Oh, I absolutely will not disagree with you about his shenanigans both with the votes and past threads. And I also don't disagree with you about how he doesn't substantiate his beliefs as well as present his viewpoint as "fact".

However, I think he took enough of a pounding from us. I personally think it's time to lay off lest we place ourselves at his level.



However, at this point, I think it's probably better we didn't say anything. Let his own votes speak for themselves. I spoke my own piece and I let it go. I'm not going to go any further with that. That would truly be feeding the troll.

--Ian.
believe me, the mods are aware of the situation... because it crosses multiple threads.

I'll just chime in that its better to keep the responses on a "professional" level and avoid any personal attacks. In a good debate or discussion, just skewer poorly supported assertions with well-supported responses -- the viewing audience will clue in and assign credibility accordingly.
At some point, whether someone is just a troll or just connects the dots poorly - their credibility is zero. Opinions are *not* automatically equal in merit. One should expect one's opinion to be challenged (especially if it is poorly constructed or supported). If your opinion is just a gut emotional response, label it as such rather than trying to assert it as fact and more people will accept it.

If someone thinks a series is a load of crap or solid gold for whatever reason (good or bad), they're entitled to express that. They just need to be aware that their ability to support that view and how that view compares to other assessments will weight their credibility when they make future pronouncements and it will modify their reputation with others.

on topic: I've watched ep 14 3 times now... its a wonderful blend of humor and abject tragedy -- something VERY difficult to pull off.
Yuuichi pulling Mai back from the abyss (and Mai's VA performance overall) was just ... well, I liked it.
Sayuri's backstory hit a few personal strings (I lost two younger brothers (one when he was 12, the other in his 20s) and the regrets of lost opportunities really cling tenaciously). The Moment of Jam --- who else can Akiko snare in her deadly gooey trap?

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-01-06 at 16:16.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 17:04   Link #126
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
This episode reiterates the fact that:

Kanon (Kyo-Ani) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(unscalable wall)>>>>>>>>>>>Kanon (Toei)

I was actually surprised they implemented Sayuri's past here, and they did it to it's fullest without skipping anything! And that screenshot of her with Kazuya brought back so many memories when I first played Kanon. Now, I wonder if they can put in a reference of Sayuri being a mahou-shoujo ww

And the scene where Mai sees Sayuri injured...wow. I haven't seen such a dramatic effect of despair and breakdown that good in a long time.
kj1980 is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 17:22   Link #127
Pakxenon
popcorn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJustman
Then, she tried to kill herself.
Is THAT what happened? I thought that Mai thought Yuuichi was annoying. ><

And seppuku goes to the stomach, not the face.
__________________
Anime ReviewsNewest: Gundam SEED, ef ~a tale of memories~, Myself; Yourself, Goodbye Mr. Despair, Galaxy Angel X, Lovely Complex, iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia.
Pakxenon is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 17:39   Link #128
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon View Post
Is THAT what happened? I thought that Mai thought Yuuichi was annoying. ><
are you insane? oO the sword almost touched her neck.

Quote:
And seppuku goes to the stomach, not the face.
carrying a sword doesn't mean you are acting like a samourai (lawl, it is supposed to be a saber, neh...). frankly, i'm not aggressive or trolling, but you do think japanese people would still attempt a suicide with seppuku? oO (they are masochist then, you won't die fast like this... and it will stain the floor (yeah, silly dark joke, sorry ~~))
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 17:46   Link #129
Pakxenon
popcorn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari
are you insane? oO the sword almost touched her neck.
Bah I'll rewatch the episode when a.f.k. releases his version.

And Yuuichi still could have been decapitated. o_O
__________________
Anime ReviewsNewest: Gundam SEED, ef ~a tale of memories~, Myself; Yourself, Goodbye Mr. Despair, Galaxy Angel X, Lovely Complex, iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia.
Pakxenon is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 18:27   Link #130
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
By the way, when you say they have yet to delve into the land of never-done, you mean that Kyoto Animation hasn't as of yet animated any original stories - stories that didn't come from manga or games or novels but from anime that was made to be on the tv screen first and foremost? Do you understand what I'm asking?
Sorry for the late reply. By the time I noticed your follow up post, all I could manage a quick edit before going to bed, that is, if I didn't want to wake up groggy and pissed at the prospect of having to go to work. I snuck in a few times in the past couple of days, but those were quick in and out.

Skane's response was right on the spot along with my thought process. Thanks Skane!

Just to elaborate a bit more, KyoAni is not only good at animation, but they are also very good at selecting the appropriate VA's that would fit the portrayed personality of a character. Music and tone are wonderfully done by KyoAni as well. Tone captures the mode of a said dialogue by combining drawing, animation, music, the seiyuu, and even the arrangement of the series itself (Suzumiya Haruhi) which will try to capture the desired atmosphere for any given scene. Because all those things were able to come together, the impact near the end of this episode was so heartfelt and resonated with so many audience.

I'm seriously appreciating the effort they are putting together for this series. What is even better, the 2nd half of the story has all the ingredient in place to make this series even more enjoyable than it already is. It makes me excited to no end.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 18:55   Link #131
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Somewhere near Seattle
Age: 44
two scenes I was hoping for...

Another stellar episode.

There were two scenes I liked in the Toei version that I anticipated here that were skipped though, both involving arikui-san (the anteater).

Spoiler for Toei Kanon variations:


Minor gripes overall, but I was kinda looking forward to KyoAni doing those two parts. The rest of the episode, especially (at last) the inclusion of Sayuri's backstory more than made up for it. And I'm sure KyoAni will do a much better job on the next episode than Toei, where you really had to struggle to figure out what was going on in Yuuichi's thought process... That said, I'm probably one of the few folks that actually really liked the Toei Yuuichi (other than the chin of DOOM) a lot. KyoAni's is funnier, though.
Ayu-ayu is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 19:48   Link #132
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Moon (where Feena at <3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
huho, akiko's Final Memory? twilight frontier sure choosed the right thing for her FM XD
Indeed. And it's a hella powerful move too, which makes sense.

Uploaded a video of the whole move. I especially like the bell sound effect in the end.

Ayu having a taste of the jam in front of Minase House
guuchan is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 20:19   Link #133
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
We should also remember that though Mai is quite effective with her saber, its just on the edge of uncontrolled and the sword is just heavy enough that her and it kind of orbit each other (watch carefully as she swings). She's almost certainly self-taught.

When the climax in the alley occurs, she's also in a blind fury...

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-01-06 at 20:33.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 20:23   Link #134
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon View Post
Bah I'll rewatch the episode when a.f.k. releases his version.

And Yuuichi still could have been decapitated. o_O
yea...she was planning on taking yuuichi with her to the afterlife XD

she wasted her "tantrum" on useless stuff to be honest T_T if she was fighting the demons with that tantrum then the would have been cleaned up in 10 seconds ~ but instead yuuichi is gonna get hurt next ep >.<
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2007-01-06, 22:25   Link #135
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guze no Sekai
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
yea...she was planning on taking yuuichi with her to the afterlife XD

she wasted her "tantrum" on useless stuff to be honest T_T if she was fighting the demons with that tantrum then the would have been cleaned up in 10 seconds ~ but instead yuuichi is gonna get hurt next ep >.<
I'm thinking it came as an almost natural reaction to her. Remember the hints about the friend that left her; There may actually be an underlying reason for her to react so strongly about one of her only friends getting hurt.

If I were to assume, does it seem like the demons are actually a little more cleverer than the brutality and single-mindedness they have shown? Either that, or Yuuichi's trying something funny by luring it out of the school building and into the open. At least that's what I presume from the preview.
__________________
Owaranai Destiny is offline  
Old 2007-01-07, 01:34   Link #136
Meophist
Tell me who I am.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Owaranai Destiny's avatar is reminding me of something. I remember having that exact expression myself in the past. I remember I was terrified, so much so that I couldn't move. I felt sweat on my face and I was crying.

Why? I can't remember. I do think that Kyoani did catch that expression well.
Meophist is offline  
Old 2007-01-07, 05:33   Link #137
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Anime Afterglow's noticed this before me, but I felt I had to share this with you guys.

11:25-11:30, look at the pair of siblings Sayuri and Kazuya passes in Sayuri's flashback. Anime Afterglow remarked that it could be the picture of the happy past of some other siblings in the series.

So, who wants to guess? Who could those two be?
Ascaloth is offline  
Old 2007-01-07, 05:41   Link #138
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Anime Afterglow's noticed this before me, but I felt I had to share this with you guys.

11:25-11:30, look at the pair of siblings Sayuri and Kazuya passes in Sayuri's flashback. Anime Afterglow remarked that it could be the picture of the happy past of some other siblings in the series.

So, who wants to guess? Who could those two be?
It's a bit hard to confirm. The fuzziness of the flashback makes it difficult to determine whether or not the colour of the eyes are blue or grey.

Heh.
__________________
Skane is offline  
Old 2007-01-07, 06:16   Link #139
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guze no Sekai
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Anime Afterglow's noticed this before me, but I felt I had to share this with you guys.

11:25-11:30, look at the pair of siblings Sayuri and Kazuya passes in Sayuri's flashback. Anime Afterglow remarked that it could be the picture of the happy past of some other siblings in the series.

So, who wants to guess? Who could those two be?

Gee, I wonder who they might be.

I suppose if there are some who don't get it, refer to Kanon 2k6's way of showing subtlety in building up of the subsequent arcs or episodes.
__________________
Owaranai Destiny is offline  
Old 2007-01-07, 06:39   Link #140
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Yuri Land
Age: 28
Well i did notice a sister couple...but its still a long shot to say that it was them. Plus the age gap between the two sisters is just one year..there the small girl looked too young.

Just in case if its not from Kanon but the AIR couple of Michiru and Tohno u r speakin about...well that i think is completely impossible. They dont look any thing like them.
__________________
toxic_trance is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.