AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-01-23, 22:58   Link #21
Phaint
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverRamza
Several things:

1. Hunter X Hunter is really good and a bit better than the average fighting shonen.

2. Another good fighting shonen anime is Yu Yu Hakusho, which just happens to be by the same creator as Hunter X Hunter (t was made before). Flame of Recca is okay, but it gets very dull at parts (it's kind of a guilty pleasure I suppose).

3. Some of the better anime in Japan is not all that popular. Do we really need so many harem animes? How about another season of Berserk? Oh wait, it didn't get good enough ratings for that. And where's my new Narutaru?

4. The popular anime shows in Japan are not all that great. What's on top right now? That 300 billion episode detective show with that little kid... Detective Conan whatever? Oh, and of course, the good old pirate fighter One Piece. These shows more or less kinda suck.

5. I hate Rose of Versailles.

Wtf, One Piece sucks? Fuck off :fingers:

One Piece is one of the most underrated animes to Americans. People take one look at it and go wtf weird animation and a guy with strechy arm, so they delete it. Seeing as it's the number 1 anime in Japan, I'd say it doesn't suck.

Naruto as was stated is way overrated. It's a badass anime but not the godlike show that Americans make it out to be. They see nice animation and ninjas so they are like drooling from the getgo and can't wait til next weeks new episode.

Hunter X Hunter is a very good anime/manga as well so stop bickering about it.
Phaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 23:44   Link #22
Deralti
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: As far as possible from Naruto/DBZ fans
Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint
Seeing as it's the number 1 anime in Japan, I'd say it doesn't suck.

Naruto as was stated is way overrated. It's a badass anime but not the godlike show that Americans make it out to be. They see nice animation and ninjas so they are like drooling from the getgo and can't wait til next weeks new episode.

Hunter X Hunter is a very good anime/manga as well so stop bickering about it.
Bold 1: So was Betterman at one point, for almost a year. Doesn't mean it was any good .

Bold 2: Amen.

Last sentence: Thats your opinion. So far, I haven't seen any credible explanations except for "its good", which makes it seem a lot like naruto explanations.....

Edit again: Curses removed from quote, please refrain from cursing...even in a slightly amusing way.
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 23:56   Link #23
Sylvanthious
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I really like HunterxHunter. The characters are pretty cool. I really like the whole Genei Ryodan saga, Kuroro is really amazing as are all the spiders.
The whole 'Nen' thing is also cool, there is a lot of background knowledge that is given about how 'Nen' works and it's pretty in depth.
Sylvanthious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 00:05   Link #24
babbito2k
annoying white bat
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint
...Hunter X Hunter is a very good anime/manga as well so stop bickering about it.
Stop bickering? if not for the bickering this thread has no reason to exist.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 00:51   Link #25
Deralti
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: As far as possible from Naruto/DBZ fans
Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Stop bickering? if not for the bickering this thread has no reason to exist.
Point made. And since this seems to be going no where really quickly...
*attempts to summon mods*
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 01:59   Link #26
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: GTO = Best anime. Ever. Thanks.
Age: 33
I watched HxH last fall and I aboslutely love it. I like it a lot more than some of the popular shounen action anime like Shaman King, Yu Yu Hakusho, and mayhaps even the coveted Naruto. I went through the entire 64 episode TV run in a matter of about a week. The OVA's in a day a piece and am eagerly awaiting the final OVA. I wouldn't say it's a must watch show for everyone, as shounen action isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for those into it, it rarely gets better or as good as Hunter x Hunter.
LiQuid|J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 03:11   Link #27
babbito2k
annoying white bat
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid|J
I watched HxH last fall and I aboslutely love it. I like it a lot more than some of the popular shounen action anime like Shaman King, Yu Yu Hakusho, and mayhaps even the coveted Naruto. I went through the entire 64 episode TV run in a matter of about a week. The OVA's in a day a piece and am eagerly awaiting the final OVA. I wouldn't say it's a must watch show for everyone, as shounen action isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for those into it, it rarely gets better or as good as Hunter x Hunter.
How DARE you take such a moderate view! Sugetsu has been trying to drum it into our heads for DAYS that this is "an instant classic," "a great series," ad infinitum. He has also unmasked the unbelievers and castigated the unworthy. And YOU simply REFUSE to take sides!? (9_9) Whatever is going to BECOME of this thread?!
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 11:59   Link #28
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
How DARE you take such a moderate view! Sugetsu has been trying to drum it into our heads for DAYS that this is "an instant classic," "a great series," ad infinitum. He has also unmasked the unbelievers and castigated the unworthy. And YOU simply REFUSE to take sides!? (9_9) Whatever is going to BECOME of this thread?!
Yeah that's the porpuse of advertaising it's natural that after being two years in this country I have gotten something out of capitalism Remenber that I did the same with RoV, Candy Candy, Berserk and Connan.

And I challenge anyone to argue against my initial review about this show. Are there any points that you don't agree with?

COME TO ME MY UNWORTHY CHILDREM
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 14:21   Link #29
Deralti
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: As far as possible from Naruto/DBZ fans
Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
Yeah that's the porpuse of advertaising it's natural that after being two years in this country I have gotten something out of capitalism Remenber that I did the same with RoV, Candy Candy, Berserk and Connan.

And I challenge anyone to argue against my initial review about this show. Are there any points that you don't agree with?

COME TO ME MY UNWORTHY CHILDREM
Ok, I can't help but say this, its children, not childrem.

*goes to check the old posts again to quote*
"Quotezors!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naruto guy
1. The concept of being a Hunter. (This is most relevant new concept. I don't want to spoil anything but you get to realise what a real Hunter is once you get the end of the series)
Really, eh? Do they....hunt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naruto guy
2. The Nen concept. (If there is a power force called Cosmos in Saint Seiya, Ki for Dragon Ball, and Chakra for Naruto well there is a power force called Nen for Hunter x Hunter. But let me tell you that this is a very interesting concept that is much more complex than chakra, ki or cosmos)
uh huh...that's great...i think O.o.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naruto guy
3. The analytic concept. (Remember Kakashi explaining carefully to his clueless students what chakra is ?, or do you remember Detective Conan solving a mysterious case? Well HxH goes beyond that point. It is thoughtful anime)
Detective Conan? Isn't that like a 345 ep snorefest of sherlock holmes anime style? So, since most of us wouldn't even touch conan, be more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naruto guy
In another words is this new stuff doesn't attract you then once you get to cool characters, such Kilua, Hisoka, Kuraprika, or Kilua's Brother you will be totally attached to the series and I can guarantee that
When the hell does that happen? Tell me
Bold 2: It seems the producers can't think up names, so many K's XD.
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 15:40   Link #30
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti
Ok, I can't help but say this, its children, not childrem.

*goes to check the old posts again to quote*
"Quotezors!"

Really, eh? Do they....hunt?


uh huh...that's great...i think O.o.


Detective Conan? Isn't that like a 345 ep snorefest of sherlock holmes anime style? So, since most of us wouldn't even touch conan, be more specific.


When the hell does that happen? Tell me
Bold 2: It seems the producers can't think up names, so many K's XD.
That's certainly cold... -_-;;

Ah by the way, I just finish watching the first HxH's OVA and all that I can say is that the spiders are cool.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 17:34   Link #31
Deralti
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: As far as possible from Naruto/DBZ fans
Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
That's certainly cold... -_-;;
Sorry about that, I kind've got an axe to grind* today. I'm glad you liked the OVA, though. Spiders >=D.



*=Malicious Intent at whomever offends the person in the least.
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 20:11   Link #32
a_nevels666
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Obviousland--land of the obvious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti
Really, eh? Do they....hunt?
Not really.

Quote:
Detective Conan? Isn't that like a 345 ep snorefest of sherlock holmes anime style? So, since most of us wouldn't even touch conan, be more specific.
Actually Hunter x Hunter is pretty intelligent for a shounen anime. More so than Naruto anyway. I haven't seen Conan, so I can't compare.

Quote:
When the hell does that happen? Tell me
HxH starts kind of slow, in the beginning the violence is toned down more and there is more filler. I only kept going because I read the manga, and I thought the anime only became really good at the sky arena. (When they learn about Nen.)

Quote:
Bold 2: It seems the producers can't think up names, so many K's XD.


Actually I think there are only 2 or 3 charactes who's names start with a 'K'. For a show with a fairly big cast that isn't that much.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 21:14   Link #33
Deralti
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: As far as possible from Naruto/DBZ fans
Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Actually Hunter x Hunter is pretty intelligent for a shounen anime. More so than Naruto anyway. I haven't seen Conan, so I can't compare.
Intelligent when the kid watches the parent get killed, then takes the child? What are we teaching kids today about intelligence...

Quote:
HxH starts kind of slow, in the beginning the violence is toned down more and there is more filler. I only kept going because I read the manga, and I thought the anime only became really good at the sky arena. (When they learn about Nen.)
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 22:23   Link #34
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti
Intelligent when the kid watches the parent get killed, then takes the child? What are we teaching kids today about intelligence...



The anime is pretty thoughtful, lets say another good comparison can be Hikura No GO. There are very interesting explanations and analysis to what is going on. A good example of this was the hunter exam, which was really exiting.


And the anime doesn't get good after the hunter exam... that's just ridiculous IT GETS BETTER... (As a matter of fact it gets better and better, the first OVA was awesome) but it doesn't make sense to say that the first 36 episodes were a waste of time, because it is there when one get to see who the characters are. Maybe he doesn't like those episodes because there is not as much action and tension as it is after the hunter exam, BUT still there is lots action and GOOD action.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 22:59   Link #35
Sai
apathetic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: teaching kaoru how to play GO
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Sai
I'm with you all the way Sugetsu! I absolutely love Hunter X Hunter! It's my favorite anime!
Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 23:08   Link #36
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai
I'm with you all the way Sugetsu! I absolutely love Hunter X Hunter! It's my favorite anime!
Yes my brother... join the force because all those unworthy infidels will be punished for their profanity ...
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 23:43   Link #37
Kyuchen
FFXI-maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Send a message via ICQ to Kyuchen Send a message via AIM to Kyuchen Send a message via MSN to Kyuchen
hehehe... I just love to see ppl argue which anime is better.... to enforce our belief onto other ppl, and if they don't listen, we'll shoot them with giant death ray lazer gun from the 32nd century... isn't this what being an anime otaku all about?!

then again, we're talking about a series whose mangaka did "Yu Yu Hakusho," which i dare say no one can hate, is there any doubt HxH cannot be one of the great anime?! (I'm not saying the greatest, that would go too far)
Kyuchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 23:51   Link #38
babbito2k
annoying white bat
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
One of the great anime? How does "great" have anything to do with this show? It's 100 years too early to say anything of the kind. It's one of the long anime, that's all I will grant. Y'all may like it a whole bunch, but what does that have to do with how great it is?
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 23:57   Link #39
Deralti
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: As far as possible from Naruto/DBZ fans
Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
One of the great anime? How does "great" have anything to do with this show? It's 100 years too early to say anything of the kind. It's one of the long anime, that's all I will grant. Y'all may like it a whole bunch, but what does that have to do with how great it is?
Amen.

So far i've seen little except the word GOOD or GREAT for an explaination.
Give me a clear answer!
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 00:05   Link #40
Kyuchen
FFXI-maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Send a message via ICQ to Kyuchen Send a message via AIM to Kyuchen Send a message via MSN to Kyuchen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti
Amen.

So far i've seen little except the word GOOD or GREAT for an explaination.
Give me a clear answer!
what would be a clear answer to you? because if you need to know how the anime rate, it's better to watch it yourself and trust your own judgement, am I right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
One of the great anime? How does "great" have anything to do with this show? It's 100 years too early to say anything of the kind. It's one of the long anime, that's all I will grant. Y'all may like it a whole bunch, but what does that have to do with how great it is?
GOOD or GREAT is what we (those who seen the series and like it) gave it, and it is purely our opinion; but if there's difference if opinion, i guess all we can say is that we all have different taste, right?
Kyuchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.