AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-01-03, 11:03   Link #21
tritoch

Uh judging from your screenshot, try and get the software drivers from the company site first. Maybe the problem is just the drivers are intended for ME/98 and have compatibility issues with XP.

I took the liberty of researching for the domain.. I can't read what it says though so you have to do it from here..

http://chartbox.myplaces.nl/index.php3?h=4582&s=1744
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-03, 13:15   Link #22
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch View Post
Uh judging from your screenshot, try and get the software drivers from the company site first. Maybe the problem is just the drivers are intended for ME/98 and have compatibility issues with XP.

I took the liberty of researching for the domain.. I can't read what it says though so you have to do it from here..

http://chartbox.myplaces.nl/index.php3?h=4582&s=1744
thanks for looking it up but the site brings to the driver setup for windows 98, i downloaded it but then you have the problem that windows doesnt have the program it needs to run the program with, you know, the lil screenie with a small list variating from paint and other programs from which you have to pick to open it with, i did manage to find the email adres and im mailing toe compagny about this and see if they can either send me the right drivers or tell me what the solution then is
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 09:20   Link #23
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
I have a few things to add (one question and one thing to check)

I would have to ask how many USB ports you have and are they on your motherboard as looking at your device manager you have two completely different sets of host controllers and although I'm not to sure about this myself they might be conflicting thus causing your problems (but don't quote me on that as I said I'm not an expert on this).

One other thing you should do is check your windows/system32/drivers folder for a file named USBSTOR.sys if this is missing then is might be an even better reason why you can't use the device.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 09:52   Link #24
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Actually I think it is the same controller (hardware wise), though it has 2 representations one being UHCI (Universal-Interface) and the other EHCI (Enhanced-Interface). I assume thats just for being compatible with both type of USB-devices.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 10:21   Link #25
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
Actually I think it is the same controller (hardware wise), though it has 2 representations one being UHCI (Universal-Interface) and the other EHCI (Enhanced-Interface). I assume thats just for being compatible with both type of USB-devices.
Actually if you look there are 5 host controllers in total 3 are intel (probably relating to the chipset on the motherboard) and 2 standard controllers (as you have stated one is for USB 1.1/0 and the other is for USB2) but if there are 6 USB ports on the computer in question (4 on the back and 20 on the front that would be directly connected to the motherboard) then the device manager should look a little like mine

As you can see I have a total of 3 host controllers all relating to the chipset on my computer (that being a SiS chipset) and 2 of those are UHCI (as it seems that the host controller can only support 3 ports on one host controller for USB1.1/0) and one EHCI (for USB2) which is where I drew my conclusion if a possible conflict between the two different sets of host controllers.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 11:07   Link #26
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

You don't, you have one host controller. Your host controller is operating on dual USB 1.1 interfaces OHCI (comparable to UHCI) and one EHCI (USB 2.0) interface... thus 3 controller interfaces are listed. (each operating on its own interrupt)

The only thing different is, that -KarumA- has an additional representation for UHCI that Universal USB... thingy and an additional USB 1.1 interface (but that might be because intel is building that thing this way), that might be the one causing trouble, maybe she can deactivate it test-wise, though I am not sure if it will gain anything, besides having one USB 1.1 interface less.

btw. I suppose it is arranged like this (dual USB 1.1 + 1 USB 2.0) because there are 3 different USB speeds, and only one speed setting is possible per interface, so one USB 1.1 interface will be for the 1.2Mbit connections, the other one for 12 Mbit and the USB 2.0 one for 480Mbit.

edit: though I did some research in the net, and there were problem reports with that exact intel USB controller. And most of the time a BIOS update was the solution to the problem. Thatswhy my former advice to update the BIOS if possible.

Last edited by Jinto; 2007-01-04 at 11:37.
Old 2007-01-06, 08:31   Link #27
Syaoran
Contemplating Naruto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz View Post
Whats with people prescribing Linux to those have problems with Windows.
If it does fix the particular USB problem there is still the Learning Curve of learning a new OS.
Jeez... that's incredible.

I never said you've to 'learn' a new OS. Do you even know what a LiveCD is ? You download it, burn it and boot your PC with that LiveCD. If you can install Windows, you can also boot a LiveCD.

You just wait a few minutes for it to be loaded and tadaaaa... You get a desktop just like windows. Now the only thing left is to connect the MP3 player to the computer and see if a new icon, called "USB Mass Storage" appears on the desktop or if a new window appears, just like the way it works with Windows.

I cannot understand how hard this can be
This only involves clicking. No shell or anything fancy.

It's even easier to understand than trying to tell a non-technical person what the difference is between OCHI vs EHCI and UHCI

Visit http://syaoran.miniville.fr/ or help them get a job (~_^)
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-06, 08:44   Link #28
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran View Post
Jeez... that's incredible.

I never said you've to 'learn' a new OS. Do you even know what a LiveCD is ? You download it, burn it and boot your PC with that LiveCD. If you can install Windows, you can also boot a LiveCD.

You just wait a few minutes for it to be loaded and tadaaaa... You get a desktop just like windows. Now the only thing left is to connect the MP3 player to the computer and see if a new icon, called "USB Mass Storage" appears on the desktop or if a new window appears, just like the way it works with Windows.

I cannot understand how hard this can be
This only involves clicking. No shell or anything fancy.

It's even easier to understand than trying to tell a non-technical person what the difference is between OCHI vs EHCI and UHCI
Your argument is valid, yet I know several persons in my family who would have serious trouble even though the only thing that visually changed is the desktop environment. That does not mean that I allege that -KarumA- is such a person (please don't feel offended ^^').
Old 2007-01-07, 20:50   Link #29
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Plus I dont think it really matters about the os anyway...
He didnt state any other problems with other USB devices.

I still think the device is defective.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 21:20   Link #30
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Ah, sorry Kurz. Two mistakes ^^

1) He She
2) She stated in a post once, that she had such trouble with a USB storage device once. Though it did not work on her PC it worked on a PC in the school.

But if it is a BIOS related issue, then it doesn't matter really much which OS does forward informations right, just to be falsly interpreted by the EHCI microcodes operating in the USB controller. <= Another possible trouble maker