AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-01-07, 14:39   Link #21
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku Send a message via Skype™ to Koroku
I've seen two raws torrented so far, you can find 'em.

I love the opening and ending \o\ \o/ /o/
__________________
.~.
Koroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 15:53   Link #22
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
^ The OP is a keeper, not so hot on the ED, but it's growing on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso View Post
Is this supposed to be a "kids anime"? I've never seen a chopped arms and such in a "kids anime"...
That's what surprised me too, considering the airtime. The brutality of the battle and the Shadow Lord slaughtering a few thousands warriors in one hit a la Sauron.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 17:56   Link #23
ccardoso
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
That's what surprised me too, considering the airtime. The brutality of the battle and the Shadow Lord slaughtering a few thousands warriors in one hit a la Sauron.
Ah that thing is called Shadow Lord? What original name it has...
Anyway I only hope the protagonist won't be able to take down that nuke monster by himself otherwise I will stop watching... I'm having enough of shounen genre and I want seinen.
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 07:03   Link #24
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
^

Pardon the ignorance (( never read Deltora...yet )), but while Deltora doesn't look to be the the stock plot-coupon travelling-around-the-continent RPG to gain the power that only it can surpass the evil villian cheese with a typical shounen main character with a white horse and a mary-sue female lead, I can't see why one would look for a seinen genre in a children targetted story, even if the anime doesn't seem to care about it's original source's target audience.

Anyway, just got to watch it moments ago. Damn you, Earthquake. It's like 1997 all over again with the connection speed here.

Overall, it was okay. I found the long pre-background introduction a little bit long, but that's probably because I'm too used to the traditional Japanese introduce background plot points bit by bit as pre-OP highlights as more episodes are shown ala Gundam, but aside from that, the episode flowed smoothly with the character introductions to the main-plot eatup. I thought the lead-up to the whole "I'm entrusting the Deltora Belt + Sword + Magic Cape" scenario kinda lacking and plain, but that's okay. I guess I am too used to seeing cheesy overdrawn sword-entrusting and cape-wearing scenes.

What I particular liked about DQ is probably the colours. It's probably just me, but I found the use of low-toned yet smooth colours along with the crisp quality accompanying the series made it feel like it was an mixture of late-90s colouring where they used low-tone colours more so than the bright, vibrantly colourful animations of recent years while combining clean, computer-assisted generated animation that isn't jagged. Not to mention it really fits the overall fantasy lore mood decently well.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 12:55   Link #25
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
What I particular liked about DQ is probably the colours. It's probably just me, but I found the use of low-toned yet smooth colours along with the crisp quality accompanying the series made it feel like it was an mixture of late-90s colouring where they used low-tone colours more so than the bright, vibrantly colourful animations of recent years while combining clean, computer-assisted generated animation that isn't jagged. Not to mention it really fits the overall fantasy lore mood decently well.
I can feel in for why the drawing, especially the usage of color, seems so familiar to a lot of shows in the late 90's and earlier. The background is drawn in water color which we can identify by looking at the texture. I'm a fan of water color drawing for which I've enjoyed the background imagery more than the animation. While the CG looks polished, it also stands out from the hand drawn charcters. Anytime that happens, it usually means a series is working with a low budget where it doesn't want to spend that extra money to blend the CG with the hand-drawn working animation.

For the characters, Lief's mum has got it going on just like that song "Stacie's mom." She is hot!



Lief would have been a bit more likable if the VA was someone else other than Sakamaki Ryosuke. This VA is one of the few ones whose voice acting parallels the bad English dub acting. Lief's laugh was so fake that I wanted to throw some rock at him if I didn't fear hitting my screen first. That said, he is got a hot mum!



Looking forward to Jasmine. Btw, the ending song sounds better.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 12:58   Link #26
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I can feel in for why the drawing, especially the usage of color, seems so familiar to a lot of shows in the late 90's and earlier. The background is drawn in water color which we can identify by looking at the texture. I'm a fan of water color drawing for which I've enjoyed the background imagery more than the animation...
I thought the backgrounds look like they've had a watercolour effect applied to them, rather than being painted in watercolour (like Simoun's for example). It's still affective, but a little bit choppy in some of the shots of the town.

But yeah, well chosen use of colours I thought. The unsettling blues and eerie greens in those important scenes and that last sequence with the glowing eyes of the monsters in the Forest of Silence suited the foreboding atmosphere perfectly.The colour stylist (Miyoko Ichinose) worked on Zettai Shounen, which also has a subtle vernal palette and glowy effects and whatnot. These kind of subtle artistic choices often go unappreciated though.

I was trying to think of a recent 'pure' fantasy anime, but seems there haven't been too many since Record of Lodoss War and Arislan and those sort of classic fantasy shows. Most of the recent ones (Scrapped Princess springs to mind) have sci-fi elements and other such. Seems to be something of a rarity...

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-01-08 at 13:29.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 13:41   Link #27
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
I thought the backgrounds look like they've had a watercolour effect applied to them, rather than being painted in watercolour (like Simoun's for example). It's still affective, but a little bit choppy in some of the shots of the town.
Considering the technology at hand, that is a very good point. Hmm..

I've been meaning to watch Simoun for some time. Fans of the show pretty much raves about it and some even refer it as one of the select few, the best of the best, show ever. Will pick it up as soon as Simoun-Fans finishes it.

Quote:
But yeah, well chosen use of colours I thought. The unsettling blues and eerie greens in those important scenes and that last sequence with the glowing eyes of the monsters in the Forest of Silence suited the foreboding atmosphere perfectly.The colour stylist (Miyoko Ichinose) worked on Zettai Shounen, which also has a subtle vernal palette and glowy effects and whatnot. These kind of subtle artistic choices often go unappreciated though.
My first and foremost concern about watching animated series is for a series to have good animation. The story is secondary. On that note, the series is on a good start though not much can be said on the story as of yet.

On another note, month of April might turn out to be a good month for the fantasy lovers.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 14:42   Link #28
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
...I've been meaning to watch Simoun for some time. Fans of the show pretty much raves about it and some even refer it as one of the select few, the best of the best, show ever. Will pick it up as soon as Simoun-Fans finishes it.
Simoun is a fascinating series even though I found it more than a little baffling at times. The animation is superb though, as is the music and the voice acting is outstanding. Oops, off-topic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
My first and foremost concern about watching animated series is for a series to have good animation. The story is secondary. On that note, the series is on a good start though not much can be said on the story as of yet.

On another note, month of April might turn out to be a good month for the fantasy lovers.
Animation-wise DQ shouldn't have any major problems due to the budget and a competant director, but how the story develops and the character dynamics handled (Lief and Jasmine especially) will be pivotal. Jasmine's seiyuu, Ayahi Takagaki, is a relative newcomer like Sakamaki Ryosuke but hopefully she'll deliver.

As for the Spring line-up, indeed plenty of solid fantasy fare coming up - Moribito, Sisters of Wellber, Claymore and RomeoxJuliet (sort of)...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 21:03   Link #29
Chibi_Faerie
Challenging fate head on!
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Eeeeeeeeee....! Eeeeeeeeeeeee...!! Ok it's out of my system. I have to say I'm excited to see a book series I've read being made into an anime. out of the childrens section I would have preferred to see something like Cornelia Funke's Ink Trilogy but beggers can't be choosers I guess... The book series itself was entertaining, highly easy to read... Maybe a little too easy and short since I finished a book a day originally.. But hey it got my brother interested in reading, so maybe that's why I like it more than I should. It will be interesting to see if they hold up to their word and keep it to the original story.
__________________
Chibi_Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 07:10   Link #30
chutup
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
yes that is awesome!! Also there are more than eight books. The original series was 8 books, then they made Deltora Quest 2, kind of like DBZ, that had 3 books, then there was Deltora Quest 3, with 4 books. So there's 15 all together. It may sound a bit generic from the description but it's actually a very original story, with some nice villians like these white flame spirits who can shapshift and a witch with 13 demonic children.
The only thing is, one major appeal of the books to little kids (like me when I read them) was the abundance of puzzles which the heroes had to solve, but could be solved by the reader earlier if they were smart enough. It was stuff like riddles and spot the difference. I hope they don't try to translate that into the anime, because it would be lame. Actually, now I think about it, those puzzles were always lame. Anyway, woot for Deltora Quest. Oh and I think most people know but I'll say anyway, Howl's Moving Castle was based on a childrens' fantasy novel as well.
chutup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 18:50   Link #31
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
well well isnt it the "one belt to rule them all" type of story
soo ~
Spoiler:
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 22:19   Link #32
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
this looks like an excellent series recommended by a fellow anime blogger. I think it has been a while since we saw some pure fantasy stuff. Can't wait to watch it.
__________________

Click the signature!
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 06:45   Link #33
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Hey Impz, you going to blog DQ? Jasmine has green hair you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
well well isnt it the "one belt to rule them all" type of story
soo ~
Spoiler:
I kind of thought Barda was more like Strider/Aragorn than Gandalf considering the way he was introduced.

In other news, DATS hope to have episode one subbed by the weekend. Yay! They've already released subs of the OP and ED, if you know where to look. The ED has grown on me now, I think I like them both equally...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 11:01   Link #34
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
u got me, sonhex, i made a very short summary for Deltora quest, after being impressed by the show. Unlike Ghost hunt and the likes, it's a very short summary because i do not want to commit to the series just yet.

So ya, still.

Deltora quest Episode 1 + screenshots

If this show continues to be that good, I will give it a better treatment than it is getting currently. We see how it goes because Poor impzie is geetting busy with real life.

Sigh. Depressing stuff.
__________________

Click the signature!
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 17:11   Link #35
Shockro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I love these books, and the anime is looking okay so far, but for a few things....

Spoiler:


Also, I hope they ignore the original target audience for the books. That's the only thing that set me off about them.
Shockro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 17:43   Link #36
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Ah, I have a question for the book reader(s), how is the pacing so far in relation to the book? i.e. how much did the first episode cover of the first book? This may help us guage how long the series is likely to be.

I was thinking if there's 8 books and this is a 26 episode series, then 3 episodes per book or something like that...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 10:18   Link #37
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Episode 2 'Wild Girl Jasmine'...

Spoiler for ep 2:


I have to say that I'm hugely impressed with Ayahi Takagaki; she's carries this episode as Jasmine, bringing a great deal of maturity and humour to her character. She could have played her a number of ways, but Jasmine comes across as headstrong and convincing as the wild girl. Moreso than Lief at this stage, ironically. Ayahi Takagaki's also playing Lucia in Venus Versus Virus this season (in fact she's so good as Lucia I thought she was someone else entirely ).

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-01-13 at 11:08. Reason: housekeeping
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 12:50   Link #38
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
I do have a love evrything mideival and mystical . aka Berserk -ish Claymore in April and Deltora Quest currently , is two animes I going to look forward to in 07 . The Promos look very promising also quite intrigued by the name DELTORA QUEST , its nicely put together
__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 06:41   Link #39
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
I have to say that I'm hugely impressed with Ayahi Takagaki; she's carries this episode as Jasmine, bringing a great deal of maturity and humour to her character. She could have played her a number of ways, but Jasmine comes across as headstrong and convincing as the wild girl. Moreso than Lief at this stage, ironically. Ayahi Takagaki's also playing Lucia in Venus Versus Virus this season (in fact she's so good as Lucia I thought she was someone else entirely ).
oh yes i agree ~ well voiced and fits in perfectly with the character...as with VVV ^_^ she has talents ~

well heres my thoughts on ep2 ~
Spoiler:
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 08:29   Link #40
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Episode 2 summary + screenshots

I am surprised that there is little interest in this show, since it's pretty much old school fantasy that is great. This show is love.

Jasmine is definitely great too
__________________

Click the signature!
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fantasy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.