AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-01-10, 14:02   Link #1
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
Registry Key help

Recently, I re-re-reinstalled windows XP onto my computer, in the hopes that the Jelly Bean Key Finder program would provide the right Registry Key I needed in order to activate windows properly. For some reason, it did not. The 25 digit code I got from running the program did not work; so I'm wondering if I need to do something different with the program. Or could it be that the installation CD's registry key expired? (It was a reinstallation CD for use with Dell machines).

Also, how do I uninstall additional version of Windows? I see to have more then one version of XP home installed on one of my drives, and its taking up more space then necessary
Old 2007-01-10, 16:13   Link #2
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayamaneko View Post
Recently, I re-re-reinstalled windows XP onto my computer, in the hopes that the Jelly Bean Key Finder program would provide the right Registry Key I needed in order to activate windows properly. For some reason, it did not. The 25 digit code I got from running the program did not work; so I'm wondering if I need to do something different with the program. Or could it be that the installation CD's registry key expired? (It was a reinstallation CD for use with Dell machines).

Also, how do I uninstall additional version of Windows? I see to have more then one version of XP home installed on one of my drives, and its taking up more space then necessary
Don't you have your activation code somewhere (might be printed on the CD case).
If not try a phone activation of Windows (call this number of MS thats provided in the activation manager).

Concerning your second Windows... first make sure you really have 2nd Windows installed (and its not just an dead entry in the boot.ini). You'ld just delete the folder of this additional Windows. And then you'ld go to the documents and settings folder and delete all the users belonging to the old Windows there (just be carfull not to erase any users of your current Windows installation). Now for cosmetic reasons, remove the boot.ini entry of your 2nd Windows.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 16:22   Link #3
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
Don't you have your activation code somewhere (might be printed on the CD case).
If not try a phone activation of Windows (call this number of MS thats provided in the activation manager).

Concerning your second Windows... first make sure you really have 2nd Windows installed (and its not just an dead entry in the boot.ini). You'ld just delete the folder of this additional Windows. And then you'ld go to the documents and settings folder and delete all the users belonging to the old Windows there (just be carfull not to erase any users of your current Windows installation). Now for cosmetic reasons, remove the boot.ini entry of your 2nd Windows.
-I don't have an activation code. The CD came with a computer my mom bought a while ago, and I'm trying to use the CD that came with on my computer. Their was a printed on the side of her computer, but that one didn't work.

-How would I go about finding out if I really do have more then one copy of windows? I have two hard drives and they both have a WINDOWS folder, but they appear to be identical in terms of content
Old 2007-01-10, 16:37   Link #4
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
-I don't have an activation code. The CD came with a computer my mom bought a while ago, and I'm trying to use the CD that came with on my computer. Their was a printed on the side of her computer, but that one didn't work.
uhm, it doesn't work for a reason... This copy of Windows is an OEM version, meant for (and only for) this PC. So it requires you to have the sort of PC your mom has, otherwise it will refuse to activate. I don't know which part of the hardware is exactly responsible for this, but I assume its something related to the BIOS.

Quote:
-How would I go about finding out if I really do have more then one copy of windows? I have two hard drives and they both have a WINDOWS folder, but they appear to be identical in terms of content
Well in that case you obviously have 2 versions. Now you need to figure out which is the old one. Maybe looking on the folder properties might help you, if you see the date the folder was created it might give you a hint of what is the older version.

Last edited by Jinto; 2007-01-10 at 16:56. Reason: -Dell, somehow I thought I read your mom has a Dell ^^' weird
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 16:51   Link #5
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

OEM versions are NOT transferable. Installing a cracked version of Windows XP might be easier than getting an OEM version to work on a system it wasn't sold with (and if the activation code has already been used).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote