AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-01-26, 03:33   Link #1
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
AnimeSuki now listing fandubs?

Is animesuki going to list fandubs now? One question I have about this dub is where some of the op songs lyrics came from. There was some trouble with the op translation when t-n did it but we got the official single and fixed it. But the song they sing in this dub has some stuff that just seems made up as they went along. Also It is pretty clear the show is called Pretty Guardian Sailor moon. So why would they have a sub for it called "Beautiful" guardian sailor moon? Yeah I know pretty and beautiful are pretty much the same(just not quite)but If the show is called one thing why lable it another? And one last thing,I just don't understand fandubs. Could some one explain to me why people do them? I mean most pro dubs are bad enough. I just don't get it.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 03:43   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Since I am responsible for listing this show on AnimeSuki I feel I should respond.

First of all, once GHDPro finds out that I broke the rules by listing it here he might very well decide to delete it. It says very clearly in our Listing Policy "No raw or dubbed anime: AnimeSuki will not list anime that has no subtitles or anime which is not in it's original language." On the other hand I have never seen an entire episode of a show dubbed by fans except as a parody so it seems odd to have ruled out something that never existed until now.

Personally I hate pro-dubs also, but the quality of work that Desolate Sailors Inc put into this really impressed me. Their acting was better than the original japanese actors. Of course that isn't saying much since the original japanese acting was awful, but still... The fan-dubbers' acting was better than at least 90% of the profession dubs that I have seen.

The purpose of our site is to make the works of anime fans more accessable to all of anime fandom. This truly deserves to be brought to the attention of our community in hopes that it raises the bar for what we should expect of the "professionals."

Now I just get to hope that GHDPro and the others don't decide to lynch me for this. Please pray for me - I may need it. As for AnimeSuki listing other fandubs, even if we decide not to delete this torrent from the site that doesn't mean that every fandub will get listed. We might decide to rule it on a case-by-case basis. Or maybe I'll just get tarred and featherd.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 03:50   Link #3
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
removed due to my bad pasting skills
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 03:56   Link #4
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I will just say I don't see the quality in the dubbing they alter to much of the music(The op),and the actors are not even up to par with Resident Evil voice actors. The fandub actors don't really show any emotions. Also Nosaniwa i was banned by you for breaking the rules last week. Perhaps you should think on this?
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 04:10   Link #5
darkwave
Manual Mode
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Fandubs? HAHA..haha..haha..hehe

Thanks for making me laugh this morning!
darkwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 04:21   Link #6
Domasai
_=_Mada Mada Dane_=_
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Back in the States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
The purpose of our site is to make the works of anime fans more accessable to all of anime fandom. This truly deserves to be brought to the attention of our community in hopes that it raises the bar for what we should expect of the "professionals."

Now I just get to hope that GHDPro and the others don't decide to lynch me for this. Please pray for me - I may need it. As for AnimeSuki listing other fandubs, even if we decide not to delete this torrent from the site that doesn't mean that every fandub will get listed. We might decide to rule it on a case-by-case basis. Or maybe I'll just get tarred and featherd.
I may not pray per se, but I'll definitely be hoping you continue to do well. Mostly because I agree with you to some extent. People dismiss dubs. Hell, I do most of the time. But I know for a fact that English-speaking voice actors are capable of much more, and so are the companies that employ them. There are truly awesome actors in the States and Europe, so to claim that all voice actors from those countries are inferior automatically in comparison to the original, Japanese actors that do such a tremendous job seems overly assuming in my opinion. And if it takes amateur dubbers to give the large companies in the States and abroad a kick in the ass, then I'm all for it.

Good luck.
Domasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 04:30   Link #7
FinFangFoom
The Man, The Legend......
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Redmond, WA
Age: 37
I have to side with NoSanninWa on this one for several reasons. One, I'm sure more than 99% of the people on Animesuki have never seen a fandub before, and I'm sure many will want to see one out of curiousity, and it will allow them to form an opinion based on experiance, rather than speculation.

Also this is a series that only one other group is working on, and that other group from what I understand does partially parody subs. Even if you don't agree with some of their translations, I'm sure many would agree that an honest mistake is better than a bad joke. This would give people another choice.

As far as why would anyone do fan dub? Why not? There other people that would rather hear and understand what the characters are saying, rather than read it off the bottom of the page. Personally I'll take crappy subs over crappy dubs any day, but I would also take very well done dubs over well done subs. Besides, maybe if the fan dubbing comunity takes off, some good talent will be discovered and find jobs in the professional industry (I know I'm being really optimistic on that one, but you never know) and thus eventually help do away with crappy pro-dubs someday.

Quote:
Also Nosaniwa i was banned by you for breaking the rules last week. Perhaps you should think on this?
Let me guess. You broke the "No Whining" rule?
__________________

OFFICIAL GAYEST SIGNATURE ON ANIMESUKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear
ps. hey FinFangFoom, can you change that pic of yours in the sig because when ever I read threads that have your message post in it would make people around me think I am watching gay porn, make it smaller or something
FinFangFoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 05:13   Link #8
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere in Hawaii
Just watched the fandub. Well, it wasn't too bad I guess, the OP and Sailor V song was actually sung pretty well. I really can't compare it to another fandub since this is my first. I'll be a shame if the torrent gets taken down considering how much effort the group put into. Hopefully GHDPro will allow the torrent to stay up and go easy on NoSanninWa.
__________________
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 05:37   Link #9
Quarkboy
Anime Translator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 35
Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
I just watched this ('cause I was morbidly curious, and happen to like the actual show), and I have to say....

this was the best fandub EVER MADE.

Of course, that's not saying much. Considering I can count the number of non-parody fandubs on one hand. Actually about 2 fingers worth of one hand. (The only other one I've ever seen myself was of Kodomo no Omocha... now that was a suicidal project if I ever saw one).

As for people being scared that this will spark some kind of animesuki revolution, with fandubs listed all over the place... fear not. Somehow I think this will be the one and only non-parody fandub we'll see for a long long time.

Major Kudos to the people who put this together.... most people don't understand how much work it takes to put something of even this marginal quality together.
__________________
Yomiuri Television Enterprise
International Media Strategy Chief
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 05:48   Link #10
Forse
r00t for life
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: /dev/null
It's a lot complicated to dub then sub and requires more ppl involved (unless one person dubs all, which isn't very good) so I doubt we'll see fandubs all over da place. I'm downloading it now and I shall post some comments later.
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 10:58   Link #11
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Middle of insanity
Is the torrent on AS or somewhere else?
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 12:14   Link #12
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Netherlands
Age: 35
Most fandubs that I've heard of are parodies. This one doesn't seem
to be the case. And I guess the current "Listing Policy" wasn't ready
for this possibility.

As I've stated in the Staff forum, I'll allow this fandub and others, as long
as they're seriously dubbed. In return we will mark them clearly as being
fandubbed, so if you don't like them you can ignore them.

I've also made a note of this one the main page now.

@Lord Raiden: ER... check the main site for a torrent marked "(Fan Dubbed)"
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 12:48   Link #13
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Most fandubs that I've heard of are parodies. This one doesn't seem
to be the case. And I guess the current "Listing Policy" wasn't ready
for this possibility.

As I've stated in the Staff forum, I'll allow this fandub and others, as long
as they're seriously dubbed. In return we will mark them clearly as being
fandubbed, so if you don't like them you can ignore them.

I've also made a note of this one the main page now.

@Lord Raiden: ER... check the main site for a torrent marked "(Fan Dubbed)"

Get ready for a flood of fandubbed anime
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 13:04   Link #14
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Netherlands
Age: 35
Er, I doubt there really is that much fandubs being made.

The scary thing is that might change though...
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 02:34   Link #15
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Bad news. Another fandub has ambushed us. It seems to be just as GHDPro so ominously feared in his last post. This one doesn't share the "high" production values of the previous. It's voice acting isn't the worst that I have ever heard, but it is pretty pathetic. Now because of my "brilliant" idea to list the Sailor Moon Fandub I find myself listing a badly done Naruto Fandub. Don't take my word for it though, go check it out yourselves.

I considered not adding it, but it was done seriously. It isn't a parody. We've added badly done fansubs in the past, so I couldn't very well justify leaving it off the site unless GHDPro or a popular outcry wants us to vet the quality of all fandubs against our own subjective standards.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 08:48   Link #16
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Bad news. Another fandub has ambushed us. It seems to be just as GHDPro so ominously feared in his last post. This one doesn't share the "high" production values of the previous. It's voice acting isn't the worst that I have ever heard, but it is pretty pathetic. Now because of my "brilliant" idea to list the Sailor Moon Fandub I find myself listing a badly done Naruto Fandub. Don't take my word for it though, go check it out yourselves.

I considered not adding it, but it was done seriously. It isn't a parody. We've added badly done fansubs in the past, so I couldn't very well justify leaving it off the site unless GHDPro or a popular outcry wants us to vet the quality of all fandubs against our own subjective standards.

There will be more. Soon I bet we see "Ongegai Twins THE DUB"
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.