AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-07-24, 22:08   Link #1
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Singapore ISP services

This thread is specifically targeted to singapore residences.

Hi all,
I would like to ask your help to share your experiences with your current ISP provider. So far, the impression that I get are listed below. Please help me to correct them if they are not true. Perhaps I will also be tempted to change my current plan.

Singtel
Broadband 512
Comments: Disconnections, Very difficult to login during the weekend.

Broadband 1500,3500,6000 etc
Comments: Disconnections?!, Keep assigning new IP addresses. Bad customer service !?

Pacific Net
Broadband 512
Comments: Higher fee but quite fast

Broadband 1500,3500
Comments: Expensive but fast, slow download during evening time

Cable 4000
Comments: Fast. Disconnected when not active. Must maintain an opened webpage (for what!?).

Starhub
Cable
Comments: Bandwidth limitation for P2P. A lot of goodies for the contract.
SleeplessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 05:59   Link #2
Lost

In my opinion Starhub offers the most stable connections. I have never gotten disconnected at all. I get respectable download rates with bt on the MaxOnline 4000 plan, 50-80 for an average torrent; 100++ for torrents with alot (1k+) of seeders.

edit: I'm now getting a stable 115 kB/s for a 3:1 (seeds : peers) ratio. Up-speed is a pathetic 25.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-07-25 at 11:08.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 12:45   Link #3
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Starhub IMO is very stable, high download rate can cap a torrents up to 200kb/s++ on a good day and a rather craptastic upload rate of up to 30kb/s every single day.

The low upload and stereotypical selfish tendencies in Singapore are subjected to lots of frowning among other countries, simply because many Singaporeans just closed the torrent files as soon as their finish, mostly all the seed ratio are below 1. That made Singaporeans look like leeching cockroaches. I blame the goverment for giving us crap upload rates (The so called 'up to 256kb/s upload rate' is simply bullshit), and Singaporeans (including myself) will have to blame ourselves for how we were.

I'll admit that I do it on a few occassions, but most of the time I seed way beyond 1 ratio

Last edited by Flo; 2006-07-25 at 12:57.
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 21:44   Link #4
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
A discussion which I read recently from another forum http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1321482 said that Starghub is using traffic shaping to limit bit torrent protocols. Are you using the encryption mode when using bit torrent in starhub?
SleeplessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 23:43   Link #5
Lost

Hmmm maybe thats why my Azureus suddenly reported a DHT firewall; and it was around that time too. So they only started shaping after the PCShow. Cunning guys.

Anyhow I use uTorrent, and yes I enable protocol encryption. What does it do actually? I do not know whether to allow incoming legacy connections too or not; its currently unchecked.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 07:39   Link #6
Kai1
watashi wa L desu~

I don't know where you get the disconnections part for singtel.
I used singtel 512 for 2 years when I lived in Singapore and seldom had any disconnections at all.
Kai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-10, 05:08   Link #7
JayF

I'm currently on Starhub;s plan and my computer is connected by a wireless modem when I dl on my own pc,

I've done some port forwarding for it, but is it really ncessary and how the hell do I get around the nat error on my bittornado.
JayF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 06:09   Link #8
kivine

Using Starhub 6500>>12000 soon 28dec

I mostly get my torrents from private sites. Typically getting around 180kb/s. Max torrent speed i get is 1400kb/s. Mostly spikes.

But average around 700kb/s, that is around the maximum starhub downloadable speed.

Public torrents, well depends on the public.
kivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 09:43   Link #9
Question
Crossdresser

Using starhub 4000, i VERY rarely get more than 10 kb/s.......max ive ever seen was something like 50 kb/s and that was an excellent torrent.

I dont know how you are getting those crazy speeds
Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-11, 17:15   Link #10
Salt
the cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question View Post
Using starhub 4000, i VERY rarely get more than 10 kb/s.......max ive ever seen was something like 50 kb/s and that was an excellent torrent.

I dont know how you are getting those crazy speeds
On StarHub 6500 here.
I think the 200kB/s speeds are with multiple torrents active. My experience for single torrents are similar to your.
Regarding disconnects, most of the time is due to my router crashing , only once so far did I notice StarHub's network went down.
My DHT is still firewalled though. I tried everything, can't fix it. I'm always unreachable, although I think I still can connect to others.
Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 01:15   Link #11
kivine

remember to enable encryption and randomize ports
Old 2006-12-13, 03:00   Link #12
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

i'm using singtel 512 speed and usign bitcomet to dl the animes and the speed is very slow =.=,is there a better program for singtel users?
Justice Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 04:52   Link #13
kivine

how slow is slow
Old 2006-12-13, 07:10   Link #14
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

like 15 kb/s =.=
Justice Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 12:19   Link #15
Salt
the cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivine View Post
remember to enable encryption and randomize ports
I switched on encryption as you suggested, although if I'm right it only indirectly improves your speed , my client already accepts encrypted data, switching on encryption allows it to send encrypted data to bypass as throttling of out going traffic thereby hopefully improve ones download.

I can't randomize ports. UPnP on my router is kind of unstable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Knight View Post
i'm using singtel 512 speed and usign bitcomet to dl the animes and the speed is very slow =.=,is there a better program for singtel users?
Alternatives include:

utorrent (small footprint and fast , what I'm using now, but recently got bought out by Bram Cohen and friends, not sure how future development will go.)

Azureus (runs on java though, and can be a bit sluggish, but usable. It's my fall back program if anything happens to utorrent. )

then of course there is the reference implementation from Bram Cohen.

I won't feel too bad about 15 KB/s, that's what I get too.
Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 04:31   Link #16
kivine

Quote:
like 15 kb/s =.=
try download software from openoffice.org and test ur speeds again
Old 2007-01-03, 03:33   Link #17
Zetrio
The Knight!

singnet: get warning letter for illegal downloads fastest, first to get caught, relatively cheap and decent speed

starhub: what i am using. Fast, quite exp, sure get goodies when you sign up. Lousy but still adequate upload rate. (Starhub knows you people use BT so they increase upload to about 30kb/s which is more or less decent.

M1: my brother using at his new home. Cheap, slow, lag like hell haha.
Zetrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 03:10   Link #18
FiRe_RoSe82
SaKuRa-HiMe

Send a message via Yahoo to FiRe_RoSe82
I'm currently using Starhub 12000. For the past yrs, I usually get good speed like 50-120kb/s but recently download has been SUPER slow... I'm getting less that 5 kb/s now... arrghhh... No i have not made any changes / configuration to the program / system so the download should not have change drastically... I'm using Azurues. My seeds & peers are gd (ard 35 & 25 respectively). My NAT is ok (green). The smiley face beside the torrent name is also green.... so i find no fault to it. Plz help.

P.S: How do you switch on the encryption thingy??
Old 2007-01-22, 12:49   Link #19
xfool

Quote:
torrents are slow ,try finding sites that have direct downloads. I usually get 60+kb/s download with megaupload.

For upload I usually get bout 18-22 kb/s on youtube,no idea on other sites.
xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 22:16   Link #20
kb7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
Starhub IMO is very stable, high download rate can cap a torrents up to 200kb/s++ on a good day and a rather craptastic upload rate of up to 30kb/s every single day.

The low upload and stereotypical selfish tendencies in Singapore are subjected to lots of frowning among other countries, simply because many Singaporeans just closed the torrent files as soon as their finish, mostly all the seed ratio are below 1. That made Singaporeans look like leeching cockroaches. I blame the goverment for giving us crap upload rates (The so called 'up to 256kb/s upload rate' is simply bullshit), and Singaporeans (including myself) will have to blame ourselves for how we were.

I'll admit that I do it on a few occassions, but most of the time I seed way beyond 1 ratio
Just to let you know, the advertised upload rate is 256 kilobits per second, which equates to 32 kilobytes per second. So what they have promised is not bullshit, although it is low. It will be unfair to fault them on that.

Last edited by kb7; 2007-01-22 at 22:19. Reason: additional words
kb7 is offline   Reply With Quote