AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2007-01-16, 08:10   Link #1
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

need suggestion for a new router

My old router died, I am looking for a good router that allow many connections and good DL speed. Linksys just can't handle the amount of traffic going through it.

BTW, anyonw know a good port list that I can use as reference to open new BT ports?
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 11:40   Link #2
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
Actually, it's only specific Linksys models that throw shitfits with torrent traffic.

I use a Linksys WRT54GL with a third party firmwre installed.

As for good ports for BT, http://torrenthelp.depthstrike.com/randomport.php gives a good set (once I get it running again).
DWKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 12:39   Link #3
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

you got a link to the the 3rd party firmware that you mentioned about?
Old 2007-01-17, 07:18   Link #4
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
http://www.thibor.co.uk is the one I use.
Some people will recommend DD-WRT instead. I say choose one and stick with it. I don't care which one.
Old 2007-01-17, 14:57   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Do you recommend using third party firmware over Linksys' own firmware? I bought a WRT54G v5 at the end of summer 2006 and the router worked flawlessly without a reboot from September to around the end of December, when it froze up. Ever since then, it's been requiring a reboot every other day, it seems. I'm currently trying to solve it by trial and error, but if Linksys' own firmware is inferior to begin with, switching to a third-party firmware might be the way to go.

As for other routers, I've heard bad things about all of them. Popular brands are D-Link and Netgear; I'd go with D-Link. Belkin may be worth looking at. Avoid Airlink101 - I got one of their routers for very cheap, and let's just say that I got what I paid for. Impressive range, but drops the signal every 5 minutes no matter how near you are to it.
Old 2007-01-18, 08:58   Link #6
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

I do, but only on routers designed to be capable of accepting 3rd party firmware. (the WRT54Gv5 and up aren't).

Many Belkin routers have been reported to have ridiculously low connection limits (60-80 TCP connections at a time) and other problems.

There was a particular set of Buffalo Wireless routers that was also good, but I can't remember which ones they are right off.
Old 2007-01-18, 13:01   Link #7
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

My friend gave me a D-Link EBR-2310, is it good? btw, that web site for showing random ports don't work, do you know a up to date site that I can look up the ports manually?
Old 2007-01-18, 15:08   Link #8
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Quote:
btw, that web site for showing random ports don't work, do you know a up to date site that I can look up the ports manually?
I warned you in my original post that I needed to get it working again. It should start working for you in a day or less (depending on DNS propagation).
Old 2007-01-18, 19:39   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear View Post
My friend gave me a D-Link EBR-2310, is it good?
Try using it and find out? And if you don't like it, I'll take it!

Just kidding. But in all seriousness, if your old router is bricked, then any router is good for you at this point.

As a follow-up to DWKnight, I discovered that I can't put other firmware on my router due to the amount of flash memory present. It isn't something that's advertised (as far as I know) but the earlier versions of the Linksys routers had 4 to 8 MB of flash memory (with older models having more). My model and those above it have only 2 MB of memory, which doesn't give third parties much room to put code in. If I wanted to replace my Linksys firmware, the only option available to me is DD-WRT Micro, which doesn't have nearly as many features as the other versions.

I feel slightly cheated, since it would have been nice to have many of the features offered by HyperWRT or DD-WRT. Then again, I suppose Linksys wasn't really making this router to be a hacker's toy. Locking potential features gives its customers incentive to buy the higher-end models, I suppose.
Old 2007-01-19, 02:16   Link #10
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Do you mean this router?
Old 2007-01-23, 03:35   Link #11
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

me?

No.

This one