AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 34 41.46%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 30.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 15.85%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 8.54%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.66%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-02-01, 03:14   Link #21
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
I agree with everyone who has thought this episode is one of the best so far. I think if all the mentioned key points are listed, then the content of this episode will start making sense. I'll have to rewatch the episode before I start comprehending things a bit clearer, but I'll start the list with a few key developments..

Spoiler for a list of important development from Episode 16:


I'm sure I've missed out on a few more key points about this episode. Feel free to add them. Also, please feel free to correct me where it is necessary.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline  
Old 2007-02-01, 03:39   Link #22
anselfir
Style Über Alles
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC/Chicago
I find increasingly DN episodes are becoming modular, a story in themselves, and the whole show is turning into a series of episodes, instead of one continuous flowing story. It has become an action series.

The episode started with some ridiculous developments that are fleshed out reasonably well (considering the short time).
__________________
anselfir is offline  
Old 2007-02-01, 08:39   Link #23
Rei_Battlecake
Kampfkuchen
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Well I get what Light's trying to do by turning himself in as "possibly being Kira" but I really don't get how he managed that the newly announced criminals got punished after he'd thrown away his Death Note...
__________________


"Man needs just one thing in life: Someone to love. If you can't give him that give him hope, if you also can't give him that give him something to do."
Rei_Battlecake is offline  
Old 2007-02-01, 12:48   Link #24
Sendoh718
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
one of two possible reasons

Spoiler for in case one of them ends up true:
Sendoh718 is offline  
Old 2007-02-01, 13:37   Link #25
psycho bolt
Cowmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Spoiler:

Last edited by psycho bolt; 2007-02-01 at 18:13.
psycho bolt is offline  
Old 2007-02-01, 14:09   Link #26
smeg4brainsuk
Ayanami's Concubine
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bosom's of the almighty Goddess
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to smeg4brainsuk Send a message via Skype™ to smeg4brainsuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho bolt View Post
Ater watching ep 16, I was pretty much confused. Did Light lose his memories when Ryuk left? Or was it all an act.
Spoiler:
__________________
smeg4brainsuk is offline  
Old 2007-02-01, 14:13   Link #27
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Philippines - The Terrorist Fortress xD
Send a message via MSN to bkg9990 Send a message via Yahoo to bkg9990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendoh718 View Post
one of two possible reasons

Spoiler for in case one of them ends up true:
1. nope, he didn't.. and 2. that's what the car is for (if you get my drift)


Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho bolt View Post
Ater watching ep 16, I was pretty much confused. Did Light lose his memories when Ryuk left? Or was it all an act.
Spoiler:
__________________
bkg9990 is offline  
Old 2007-02-01, 14:20   Link #28
Andu
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tartu, Estonia
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Andu
After seeing this, im really glad i finished the manga before watching the anime. This would have left me too confused to be able to wait for the next episode. An excellent episode, if i may add. This (imo) covers the best part of the story.
Andu is offline  
Old 2007-02-01, 20:53   Link #29
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei_Battlecake View Post
Well I get what Light's trying to do by turning himself in as "possibly being Kira" but I really don't get how he managed that the newly announced criminals got punished after he'd thrown away his Death Note...
I think it will start making sense as soon as we understand what exactly Light did with his DN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho bolt View Post
Ater watching ep 16, I was pretty much confused. Did Light lose his memories when Ryuk left? Or was it all an act.
I'm confused as well. There really aren't any obvious clues to make any deduction that if Light is faking it, or if he truly has lost his memory. But, if he lost his memory, then it raises boat load of questions such as why Light still remembers that he is interrogated under the suspicion that he is Kira? If we assume that he gave up his DN when he said I "discard my pride," then wouldn't he suppose to forget everything associated with the DN just like Misa? This question leads to another question: can a DN user have a choice of how much memory s/he may loose?

I'm confused as heck!

Btw, anyone can talk about an episode in an episode discussion thread without using spoiler tags. Some of us are adding the spoiler tags as a courtesy to the viewers who have yet to watch this episode. That said, any manga spoiler even under a spoiler tag is a big no-no in an episode discussion thread. Feel free to PM me if you don't understand something from what I just said here.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline  
Old 2007-02-01, 21:17   Link #30
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
then wouldn't he suppose to forget everything associated with the DN just like Misa?
It seems to me it's a very specific thing about forgetting only about the Death Note. Even though Misa forgets about the Death Note, and that Light is Kira, and anything related to the DN or the shinigami, she still remembers that a boy named Light is her boyfriend. In a similar way Light has probably "forgotten" that he is the killer named Kira, or what the Death Note is - but everything else stays intact. He knows he is part of the Kira investigation force tracking down Kira, run by L, etc. He is completely unaware of anything regarding him being Kira.

I'm an anime watcher, so that's just my interpretation of what I happened.
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline  
Old 2007-02-01, 21:40   Link #31
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
It seems to me it's a very specific thing about forgetting only about the Death Note. Even though Misa forgets about the Death Note, and that Light is Kira, and anything related to the DN or the shinigami, she still remembers that a boy named Light is her boyfriend. In a similar way Light has probably "forgotten" that he is the killer named Kira, or what the Death Note is - but everything else stays intact. He knows he is part of the Kira investigation force tracking down Kira, run by L, etc. He is completely unaware of anything regarding him being Kira.

I'm an anime watcher, so that's just my interpretation of what I happened.
That's a good explanation. I still feel the provided explanation is very little as to how much or what a DN user forgets when s/he chooses to relinquish it. Besides, it is still not clear from this episode that Light truly has forgotten. He could very well be faking this whole thing.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline  
Old 2007-02-01, 22:32   Link #32
Ardea
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I think Light really does lose his memories. Otherwise, I don't believe that there would need to be such a focus on the imagery of his dark, narrowed eyes becoming wide, bright, and innocent. Ryuk also left his side, indicating Light doesn't own the Death Note anymore. That's just me picking at things like that though.

Perhaps once you give up ownership on the Death Note, you lose the "feeling" (guilt? lust for power? etc.) that you've ever used it or knew about it. That's why his innocent self can confidently say he isn't Kira, because he really doesn't have that feeling and knowledge anymore.

Light must know his own behavior quite well in order to pull off whatever he's about to pull off. If his Death-Note-owning self can't convince L and the others of his innocence, his sans-Death-Note self probably can and will somehow (at least the others, probably not L... I hope!)
__________________
Ardea is offline  
Old 2007-02-01, 23:03   Link #33
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardea View Post
I think Light really does lose his memories. Otherwise, I don't believe that there would need to be such a focus on the imagery of his dark, narrowed eyes becoming wide, bright, and innocent. Ryuk also left his side, indicating Light doesn't own the Death Note anymore. That's just me picking at things like that though.
He is a good actor. What am I saying.... he is a great actor!! How he conduct himself among his family, in school, and his peers are some of those examples of him being a good actor. The most recent evidence of him being a great actor was after he found out he was under camera surveillance in his own room.

In this occasion, Light is very much aware of all the camera that are watching his every move in that cell. That's why I think a first time viewer cannot automatically assume that Light has lost his memory.

Quote:
Perhaps once you give up ownership on the Death Note, you lose the "feeling" (guilt? lust for power? etc.) that you've ever used it or knew about it. That's why his innocent self can confidently say he isn't Kira, because he really doesn't have that feeling and knowledge anymore.

Light must know his own behavior quite well in order to pull off whatever he's about to pull off. If his Death-Note-owning self can't convince L and the others of his innocence, his sans-Death-Note self probably can and will somehow (at least the others, probably not L... I hope!)
I've also thought about it this way. I'll add my own speculation in the speculation thread once I rewatched this episode. I think I'm onto something. My "spider sense" is tingling.

Btw, those of you who thought Misa was being tortured, well.... after watching this episode, it seems you were wrong.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline  
Old 2007-02-02, 09:08   Link #34
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
my god O.o the line that L said is completely correct ~ "i dont know whats what anymore" ~ this one hell of a mind raping for L >.< lol totally unpredictable series
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2007-02-02, 12:40   Link #35
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Somehow this ep seemed a bit "slow" and "tame", compared to the few previous ones. But the events sure are interesting. What is(was) Light scheming when he decided to give up Death Note... no doubt he is planning to get it back later on...but how ?

Maybe he wrote in the Death Note (before giving it up) that some one<insert specific person> will find it, use it for a set amount of time, and then will deliver it to him (and kicking the bucket after that ofc...)... maybe thats how he is planning to regain the note and his memories

Man...what a mindblender.
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2007-02-02, 16:46   Link #36
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Thumbs up

Did anyone else's mind implode during this episode?

Spoiler for WTF:
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2007-02-03, 03:36   Link #37
Ardea
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
He is a good actor. What am I saying.... he is a great actor!! How he conduct himself among his family, in school, and his peers are some of those examples of him being a good actor. The most recent evidence of him being a great actor was after he found out he was under camera surveillance in his own room.
True, he's so good at acting I don't even know how he manages to keep all his personalities in order

Still, if he was acting, I don't think there'd be a reason for Ryuk to leave. Ryuk is there to be entertained, saying something to Light in the beginning something like, "I'll stick around until that notebook is done, or you're done." But I can see where it can be viewed as acting for someone viewing it for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Btw, those of you who thought Misa was being tortured, well.... after watching this episode, it seems you were wrong.
I don't necessarily think it's wrong. The imagery provided can suggest it, and the lack of imagery and literal description can suggest otherwise! Death Note seems to enjoy being ambiguous like that.

Not sure of the extent of memory loss, but maybe another reason why Rem suggested to Misa to relinquish ownership of the Death Note was also so Misa wouldn't remember the more traumatizing part of the interrogation related to Kira. Misa is more lively and comfortable, now that she doesn't remember anything about the Death Note. Her changed behavior also seems to be helping her loosen some of the restraints that were on her previously.

This episode was crazy though. I think it was meant to confuse the viewer as it did L
__________________
Ardea is offline  
Old 2007-02-03, 12:53   Link #38
Suna no tate
Akatsuki Bart is Tobi
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I haven't read the manga. I won't read the manga. I've watched all the episodes up till now. I'm completely fooled as to how he killed those criminals. Really good mysterious stuff
__________________
Suna no tate is offline  
Old 2007-02-03, 13:12   Link #39
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
When I used to watch Naruto consistently, there would occasionally be episodes that would make me want to go and spoil myself with the manga (eventually, that urge won and I became a manga reader). I didn't really watch those kind of shows for a while, so I never experienced it again, till now with this episode of Death Note

Quote:
Besides, it is still not clear from this episode that Light truly has forgotten. He could very well be faking this whole thing.
He could, but that seems to contradict all the events and information that happened leading up to his discarding the Death Note. His instructions and farewell to Ryuk, for one. It all seemed to imply that he was planning to discard the Death Note and his memories.

I don't think the extent of the memory loss will really ever be explained because there's too many questions - like if a person has a memory connected in some way to the Death Note, etc talking to Misa at his home about the entire Kira ordeal, does he forget that too? Or does he remember he had Misa in his house but doesn't remember they talked about Kira - but then how does he remember knowing about Misa or........etc.....
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline  
Old 2007-02-03, 16:51   Link #40
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardea View Post
Still, if he was acting, I don't think there'd be a reason for Ryuk to leave.
Why not? Ryuk and Light made a prior agreement as to how Light intend to carry out his plan. Light recited those signal words and off went Ryuk. Since we don't exactly know what really transpired between the two, we can't assume anything with certainty.

Quote:
I don't necessarily think it's wrong. The imagery provided can suggest it, and the lack of imagery and literal description can suggest otherwise! Death Note seems to enjoy being ambiguous like that.
It is most definitely not the imagery. Visual imageries are the main reason a lot of the fans assume Misa was tortured. They saw her all tied up, and because the old man had a syringe on his hand along with some funny looking liquid. Almost all of us have experienced an injection or two in one time or another in our life time. And since it is safe to assume that almost none of us will associate an injection with happy memories, Misa's getting a few shots by the old man is easily explained as torture.. Fact is, if enough attention paid to the spoken dialogues which is the meat of this series, then a lot of the things start making sense. In my humble opinion, the self realization of many of those unsaid things are what drawing so many fans to this show. Fans that are reaching to a conclusion by relying mostly on the visual interpretation of things, will be in for a rude shock when they finally understand how grossly off track they always have been. In fact, that observation has been proven in couple of occasion already.

I wish more anime-only viewers who never read the manga or watched any of the live action movie, would post their thoughts so I could enjoy reading their impression of the series, and enjoy their bafflement along with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theowne
His instructions and farewell to Ryuk, for one. It all seemed to imply that he was planning to discard the Death Note and his memories.
I disagree! There haven't been enough said in the episode to reach to that conclusion. Memory loss is one of the two equal possibilities we can entertain at the moment.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.