AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-01-26, 16:41   Link #21
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ~ Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
ep 16 was great. as far as not advancing plotlines go........... I wish to destroy people like you that are unable to grasp that story does not make an anime stand alone. its the advanced storylines of the characters themselves that make an anime special.
In this episode armstrong and the brothers learned about eachother edward had a conversation where he could take his own life into perspective and they got the news about scar killing nina giving edward the fuel he needed to fight scar. He felt sadnes for scar's past now he feels hate towards him after this episode allot of the characters changed a bit....... anyone unable to get past the fact they may not have read this in the manga should just not talk about it. Remember freedom of speach is not everywhere so I will just drag you of to a country that does not have that in its constitution and slap you silly.
Sorry but people that constantly bitch and moan about an anime not being exactly how they want or not following the manga to the letter piss me off those childish brats should really have been slapped once in a while groing up maybe they would have actualy gotten a personality instead of being some idiot that can only complain about stuff not being how they like it.
Get over yourself punks allot of people enjoy these shows because of the way they make it and since you lack the imagination to make anything that could even rival pokemon pls just shut up
Joe's the man. I agree with all of that. The part where the old man explain to Ed how loosing something like his leg or boddy had him gain some good: is life and all he has..as the law of conservation's way is.. that all realy got me chilled.
JOJOS'STAR is offline  
Old 2004-01-26, 16:58   Link #22
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
ep 16 was great. as far as not advancing plotlines go........... I wish to destroy people like you that are unable to grasp that story does not make an anime stand alone. its the advanced storylines of the characters themselves that make an anime special.
In this episode armstrong and the brothers learned about eachother edward had a conversation where he could take his own life into perspective and they got the news about scar killing nina giving edward the fuel he needed to fight scar. He felt sadnes for scar's past now he feels hate towards him after this episode allot of the characters changed a bit....... anyone unable to get past the fact they may not have read this in the manga should just not talk about it. Remember freedom of speach is not everywhere so I will just drag you of to a country that does not have that in its constitution and slap you silly.
Sorry but people that constantly bitch and moan about an anime not being exactly how they want or not following the manga to the letter piss me off those childish brats should really have been slapped once in a while groing up maybe they would have actualy gotten a personality instead of being some idiot that can only complain about stuff not being how they like it.
Get over yourself punks allot of people enjoy these shows because of the way they make it and since you lack the imagination to make anything that could even rival pokemon pls just shut up
While you are right about it not being a big deal about the anime not following the manga, but you could have made your point without the insults. Posts like this only lead to flame wars and closed threads. Freedom of speech applies to people who don't like the anime not following the manga too. (I think I'll start reading the manga soon, just to see if it's worth complaining about)
Anyway as long as the anime doesn't suck, it really doesn't have to be exactly the same, does it? Nadesico anime changes a lot from the manga, and is better. Now I'm not saying FMA is the same way, but the anime is pretty good. Unless the manga is unbelievably great, I'd say the anime does justice to it even if it is different.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline  
Old 2004-01-26, 17:27   Link #23
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
its the advanced storylines of the characters themselves that make an anime special..... anyone unable to get past the fact they may not have read this in the manga should just not talk about it.
Every single piece of character development was out of character. That is the problem with this type of filler. The characters reactions to these situations are completely different from how the characters are supposed to develop.

Spoiler:
bayoab is offline  
Old 2004-01-26, 17:44   Link #24
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ~ Montreal
Who cares you'll certainly be satisfied by the end of the serie. I know nothing about the mangas and I dont wanna know nothing about it. I think you'd loved this episode if you dint read the mangas. Argue not! this is pointless.
JOJOS'STAR is offline  
Old 2004-01-26, 19:33   Link #25
sperry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I'm expected to know that?
Send a message via AIM to sperry
I also haven't read the manga, so I can't really say anything about that. However, I thought this ep was pretty good, for a filler. It was pretty funny, and also that thing with Marcoh and Lust was intruiging... I'm dying to know more about what the hell she is now. Anyways, it wasn't nearly as good as 14 or 15, because they were just amazing, but it wasn't bad.
sperry is offline  
Old 2004-01-26, 20:53   Link #26
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NYC
Well, I've been keeping up with Toriyama World's FMA manga subs, but if all these people who've read ahead hate it, then I probably would to. I think it's smarter to watch the anime first, then read the manga as an alternative take on things. Or the other way around, but it seems it doesn't work for the manga readers.

But, for those who've read the manga -- just out of curiosity, is the manga finished already? And how many chapters and/or volumes is it?

Thanks!

As for myself, I really enjoyed this episode, and found it to be a 13-type episode, humorous filler that moves the storyline ahead. I personally love the FMA anime fillers; for example, Fire Vs. Steel is one of my favorite episodes.

As for 17, next Monday... 'The House Where the Family Waits', eh? Can't wait! ^^
Fighter Volk is offline  
Old 2004-01-26, 21:13   Link #27
YuuOminae
唯我独尊
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Arakawa would cry if he read that.

The manga's up to chapter 31, with volume 7 (I also remember hearing something about it coming with a special limited edition cover) coming out in March.

The good thing about the anime is that it boosted sales of the manga.
If you did a google search for "fullmetal alchemist" back in May or whatever, you'd get around less than 800 results, since most fanpages used 鋼の錬金術師. Now, there's around 27200 hits.
The bad thing is that the sourcework IS being overshadowed by the anime.

Anyway, I wouldn't say I hate the anime. I just prefer the style and pacing that Arakawa is using. I also don't really like how Bones prettied up all of the men, but that's another story...

BTW, chapter 13 was based on the first two FMA gaidens, so that wasn't really filler.


[QUOTE=Fighter Volk]Well, I've been keeping up with Toriyama World's FMA manga subs, but if all these people who've read ahead hate it, then I probably would to. I think it's smarter to watch the anime first, then read the manga as an alternative take on things. Or the other way around, but it seems it doesn't work for the manga readers.

But, for those who've read the manga -- just out of curiosity, is the manga finished already? And how many chapters and/or volumes is it?
YuuOminae is offline  
Old 2004-01-26, 23:24   Link #28
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
IMO I feel that deviation is good for the manga readers because it makes the anime a little more exciting... So even if someone has read the manga... jumbling things up might make the anime a little more exciting for the manga reader who already knows the plot to things... maybe someone else has a different opinion to this but having just started reading the manga to a point of it being a little ahead of the anime, I feel that Bones is trying to stir up interest in this manner from the manga readers... I just didn't expect that many people to be angry about Bones screwing up the timeline which I feel is just fine and easy to follow for non manga readers
Asakura_Y0h is offline  
Old 2004-01-27, 00:59   Link #29
Joe Dalton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
hmmmmm that spoiler starts off with what was SUPPOSED to happen....... guess who i am gonna drag of to some place and bitch slap silly?
Btw in this case the anime is better then the manga then because it wouldnt make sense if they went there first. And the characters were never out of character at any point =/ thats just something your litle brain made up because you didnt like it not being the exact same way as the manga and you just cant get over it.
The characters developed in a good way this episode it was verry good and if they would skip this and go to marcoh now that would have sucked. I mean where is the sense in going there before they vissit winry again? also I like that they go back to their hometown since this is something they do not want to do and leaves room for allot more devolepments
Joe Dalton is offline  
Old 2004-01-27, 02:22   Link #30
Dark_Sun
I LOVE YOU!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralias
i dont know why you thought it was boring dark-sun but i liked a whole lot and i think the episodes are getting better as it is going along.
..........hey i lyke this series ppl...its my favorite anime actually but i just find this one boring.
Dark_Sun is offline  
Old 2004-01-27, 03:04   Link #31
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
Btw in this case the anime is better then the manga then because it wouldnt make sense if they went there first.
This is in spoiler tags because not everyone reads the manga....
Spoiler:


Can you seriously tell me that does not make sense?

Quote:
And the characters were never out of character at any point =/ thats just something your litle brain made up because you didnt like it not being the exact same way as the manga and you just cant get over it.
From the manga: Ed is not affected at all by what happened in Ishibal and is more pissed off by armstrong's character, not his involvement in ishibal. This would be called being out of character.

From the anime: The amount of warping bones has done for the series, this is still out of character because Ed is not aware of anything Armstrong did in Ishibal. Nor should Ed feel any sympathy for anyone from that battle since Bones made him hate the battle for what the army did. This soldier was basically a replacement for Marcoh since they had to capture him for the story to advance. Hense, we return to the out of character.
bayoab is offline  
Old 2004-01-27, 04:20   Link #32
Forsaken102
Insanity Goddess
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Missouri
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to Forsaken102 Send a message via Yahoo to Forsaken102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxyao
Just keep the Armstrong poses coming
The armstrong poses, eh? They remind me alot of my ex boyfriend... (*bleah*)

Too much brawn. I like my people... 'slender', not muscle bound morons.
Forsaken102 is offline  
Old 2004-01-27, 04:23   Link #33
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
This is in spoiler tags because not everyone reads the manga....
Spoiler:


Can you seriously tell me that does not make sense?


From the manga: Ed is not affected at all by what happened in Ishibal and is more pissed off by armstrong's character, not his involvement in ishibal. This would be called being out of character.

From the anime: The amount of warping bones has done for the series, this is still out of character because Ed is not aware of anything Armstrong did in Ishibal. Nor should Ed feel any sympathy for anyone from that battle since Bones made him hate the battle for what the army did. This soldier was basically a replacement for Marcoh since they had to capture him for the story to advance. Hense, we return to the out of character.
I just need you to clarify which is it you mean......I don't really get it...... so is all the above a bad thing because it doesn't make sense or it isn't inline with the manga? Which one do you mean... because the way you put it, it seems to imply that it just isn't inline with the manga... that's all.....
Asakura_Y0h is offline  
Old 2004-01-27, 08:20   Link #34
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NYC
Well, even if there are filler episodes in the anime (and you can consider 4, parts of 8, 10, 11, and 12 'filler' because they didn't occur in the manga), I like them as much as any other episode, because really, who doesn't want to see as much Ed and Al as possible?
Fighter Volk is offline  
Old 2004-01-27, 08:41   Link #35
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura_Y0h
I just need you to clarify which is it you mean......I don't really get it...... so is all the above a bad thing because it doesn't make sense or it isn't inline with the manga? Which one do you mean... because the way you put it, it seems to imply that it just isn't inline with the manga... that's all.....
I am simply saying that ep 16 did not completely jive no matter which direction you look at it from.
bayoab is offline  
Old 2004-01-27, 10:17   Link #36
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
This is in spoiler tags because not everyone reads the manga....
Spoiler:


Can you seriously tell me that does not make sense?


From the manga: Ed is not affected at all by what happened in Ishibal and is more pissed off by armstrong's character, not his involvement in ishibal. This would be called being out of character.

From the anime: The amount of warping bones has done for the series, this is still out of character because Ed is not aware of anything Armstrong did in Ishibal. Nor should Ed feel any sympathy for anyone from that battle since Bones made him hate the battle for what the army did. This soldier was basically a replacement for Marcoh since they had to capture him for the story to advance. Hense, we return to the out of character.
I don't think there are too much problem with this episode. The anime merely decides to take a different approach than the manga.

There are no actual reason that Ed would not be aware of Armstrongs role in Ishibal. He might just have assumed that Armstrong would be part of the massacre due to Armstrong being a state alchemist who is active in the army. Another way is that Marcoh metioned it while relating the event in Ishbal. While he never state it in his narration the viewer was shown a flashback with Armstrong in it which could be a simplified representation of Marcohs description. Many flashback sequence showned the actual event instead of having the one narrating say out everything, and the audience along with other characters are suppose to assume that character told them everything the sequence shown. So either way Ed knowing about Armstrongs role is not a big problem.

I also don't see why Ed wouldn't sympathize with Armstrong toward the end. He was clearly sympathetic toward Marcoh and the soldier he met in the episode also inspires sympathy. Even though Ed might have hated the military for their role in the massacre, he certainly would have realize by the end of the episode that perhaps some of the soldiers really regretted what they have done. That indeed the soldiers have lost something that they cannot get back, which would certainly make him more sympathetic towards Armstrong.

The soldier is indeed a stand in for Marcoh to make the story flow smoother. Yet in some regards the soldier brings a similar yet different perspective to the story. Marcoh is someone who is still haunted by the past and is struggling to get past the consequences, while the soldier represent someone who has made peace with what he has done and has now accept the consequences. This brings a sense that perhaps in the end it would be better for Ed to accept what he has lost and move on instead of keep on trying to get back the past, which is indeed a different take than what it was with Marcoh in the manga.

Different direction at different points, I think the anime did pretty well on the direction it decided to take.

On a side note about the sins:

Spoiler:

Last edited by daimonth; 2004-01-27 at 21:30.
daimonth is offline  
Old 2004-01-27, 20:52   Link #37
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
that was something like what I wanted to say... except that I feel that certain parts were left out to create more filler eps later... because this is going to be a 52 as announced (or so someone said) so I think the anime needs to be structured in this manner to allow for that...
Asakura_Y0h is offline  
Old 2004-01-27, 22:39   Link #38
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada/ Winterpeg
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
yay Winry fixes his arm I hope she goes with them
Leo_Otaku is offline  
Old 2004-01-27, 22:42   Link #39
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada/ Winterpeg
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken102
The armstrong poses, eh? They remind me alot of my ex boyfriend... (*bleah*)

Too much brawn. I like my people... 'slender', not muscle bound morons.

he scares me like Al sees him LOL
Leo_Otaku is offline  
Old 2004-01-27, 22:54   Link #40
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
he scares me like Al sees him LOL
Hahahaha.... remember what he looked like when Armstrong said he was going to fix him!!!!!!!! Hahahahahhaa.... it was just sooo funny... God I love this series
Asakura_Y0h is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.