AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-02-27, 17:22   Link #1
Spirit Chicken!

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
Question Help needed with Salamander

I dunno why this recent fansub batch torrent didn't get listed on asuki seeing as how datorrents got listed source-wise for these recent 4C movies...but I digress:

Random Masters apparently subbed the Salamander OVA way back when. However, the timing is all outta whack with the actual vid file in the batch torrent and an external sub file situation. A timing .txt file comes with it...but all my efforts to implement it in VLC player or anything result in failure, if not making it even worse than it is by default.

I'm hoping somebody here can walk me through this strange, problematic experience, the uploader kinda got it to work, but either isn't sure how or has some trouble expressing it in a way I can comprehend...or a combo of both.

I apologize is this is somehow forbidden though....couldn't think how this could be taboo to ask in here though.
Spirit Chicken! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 01:25   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Chicken! View Post
I dunno why this recent fansub batch torrent didn't get listed on asuki seeing as how datorrents got listed source-wise for these recent 4C movies...but I digress:
We didn't list it because we had no idea that it was there. We don't regularly scan datorrents since most of what is there is completely irrelevant to us or else just unsanctioned duplicate torrents of material most groups prefer to have linked on their own torrent sites. Plus there is soooo much garbage on datorrents that manually sifting it for the gems is really hard. Quite frankly, datorrents is a pain-in-the-bung. We only list material on datorrents that we manage to personally find.

Next time you notice something on datorrents that we might want to list, you can simply submit it in our Torrent Submissions Forum. We have that forum because we need help sometimes.

Now that you've drawn my attention to Salamander, I'm going to have to track it down there. Salamander will probably pop-up on our site in a few days. Assuming the torrent is still live and assuming your playback problem isn't so bad that it is unreasonable. From what you say, I might decline listing it unless there is a simply expressible solution to playback.

Unfortunately I have no idea what your playback problem is, so I am simply crossing my fingers for you.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-28, 08:13   Link #3
Spirit Chicken!

Figured it! After spending hours on it....finally figured the issue/it has been too long since math class. All ya need to do, with VLC at least, is to remove/ignore the lowest place "zero" out of the listings for each episode's "correct timing" in the .txt file until you get the correct timing....which can be determined easy as pie since each episode tends to have dialogue very early on. Just load the file, load the sub file, then modify the delay option accordingly and it is all set. Translation quality and such is great after all is said and done.

I always somehow thought that Submissions forum was more for groups to use...my bad. I'll keep an eye on datorrents more now.

This one is still seeded well and true.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by Spirit Chicken!; 2007-02-28 at 08:20. Reason: redundancy
Old 2007-02-28, 18:45   Link #4
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Can you tell me if everyone who downloads this file will need to fix the timing for themselves? If so, I think I'd rather not list such a faulty sub.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-02-28, 22:47   Link #5
Spirit Chicken!

At present time...I'm supposing that everybody would have to tinker with it in this/similar manner for other players way to get it to work properly(even though it isn't much trouble in the grand scheme of things I suppose in retrospect). However, what would be stopping somebody(bored encoders?) with the video know-how to perhaps fix it up proper (.mkv? imbed fixed subs timing wise?) eventually to put on asuki on a rainy day since they'd be able to "know" the correct timings via the "troubling" way?

I did enjoy the OVA for the time it was on my HD....probably what with it being Gradius and all..."Lord British" etc. Hard to get more obscure than 80's Konami anime..and the subtitle quality themselves for each ep is great. I hope somehow or another it finds a way here one day for a better shot a digital immortality....or that all those that would like it hit it up while it is fresh over on datorrents.

Regardless, this HAS been a bit of a learning experience!
Old 2007-03-01, 01:37   Link #6
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

That would be nice if someone fixed this. I'll refrain from adding such a broken fansub in the hopes that someone will fix it. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.