AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-01-03, 13:37   Link #1
horangs123
Inactive Member

Exclamation My Computer is restarting! Help!

For some reason, after about 20 minutes of d/l, my computer starts to slow down and freeze up. Than it just automatically restarts itself! Its getting really annoying! Someone please help me!
horangs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 14:41   Link #2
SirJeannot
AT Field

which os?
do you get a message?
did you try the event manager? (nt)
did you scan for viruses?
Old 2004-01-03, 14:51   Link #3
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Update your Network card drivers. If you dont have a clue, check the brand of your network card and input it on google with the word "DRIVERS".
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 15:23   Link #4
bOcyOgl
lv.2 频道贼

ms_blast ???
bOcyOgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-03, 15:49   Link #5
horangs123
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horangs123
For some reason, after about 20 minutes of d/l, my computer starts to slow down and freeze up. Than it just automatically restarts itself! Its getting really annoying! Someone please help me!
My OS is Windows XP Professional. I don't get a message or anything! The screen just freezes and than *poof* the computer just restarts! Could it be my network card? And the reply by bOcyOgl, "ms_blast" what does that mean? Thanks a lot fellas!
Old 2004-01-03, 15:51   Link #6
horangs123
Inactive Member

Comp Restart...

BTW, this has only occurred after I started using Bit-Torrent. I've tried changing the program, by using Azureus, but the same problem persists. It usually happens after around 20 minutes or so. BUt when I don't have one of these torrent d/l's on, my comp. works fine.... What gives!?!?!
Old 2004-01-03, 15:59   Link #7
CC Ricers
Governating the peasants

It happens to me too, and I also have Windows XP. But the computer only freezes when it's close to completing a download, and it doesn't restart. (I have to press the power button to restart it)

The most likely problem is related to the RAM in your system. I get lots of RAM dumps when running Bittorrent, esp. if downloading large batches of files. Apparently it requires a lot of RAM to allocate something as huge as video. But I have 512mb DDR and apparently that's not enough >___<
CC Ricers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-06, 13:48   Link #8
SirJeannot
AT Field

try to lower your ram timings ...
or try a memtest to check if your ram is at fault
Old 2004-01-07, 12:50   Link #9
CC Ricers
Governating the peasants

I found one solution.

If you have Win2k or Windows XP press ctrl+alt+del to enter the Task Manager. In the Processes area, right-click 'btdownloadgui' right after you start BT and change the priority to low. It won't affect your download but it will reduce the amount of RAM usage.
CC Ricers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 19:04   Link #10
brandnew
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horangs123
ihad the same problem before. my win2k will restart after 2hour or30min like. i had 256M memroy. added 512M andsince then, runing for 10 hours, so far so good.
brandnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-16, 20:54   Link #11
JohnArk
High Rank Jungle Guu

Quote:
By SirJeannot
which os?
do you get a message?
did you try the event manager? (nt)
did you scan for viruses?
-Windows XP Professional
-Nope it just restarts
-Yes, nothing can be found
-Scanned with Norton Antivirus 2003, I even removed my RAM for 30 minutes to make sure there wasn't one hidding in there. PLUS I EVEN formatted my Harddrive and re-installed Windows XP and it still does it. So no, there's no virus.

Quote:
By Flash_Squirrel
Update your Network card drivers. If you dont have a clue, check the brand of your network card and input it on google with the word "DRIVERS".
Nope, nada... I had an Aopen Network card, updated and still the same problem. And guess what I went to the store and tried 3 different network cards, D-Link, Linksys and Fun-Jin and it still reboots. So no, it has nothing to do with the Network card.

Quote:
by bOcyOgl
ms_blast ???
Ya I used to have that problem a couple of months ago, was taken care of... now my PC never reboots at all........... EXCEPT for when I use Bittorrent?????????!?!??!?!?! Is it really ms_blast??? I didn't know tey hated the creator of Bittorrent that much.

Quote:
by SirJeannot
try to lower your ram timings ...
or try a memtest to check if your ram is at fault
My PC was at 1800mhz, I down-clocked it back to it's normal 1150mhz ... and yes it still reboots using bittorrent.

Quote:
by CC Ricers
I found one solution.

If you have Win2k or Windows XP press ctrl+alt+del to enter the Task Manager. In the Processes area, right-click 'btdownloadgui' right after you start BT and change the priority to low. It won't affect your download but it will reduce the amount of RAM usage.
Nope, still nothing, it still reboots.

So as you can see, everything was tried, still nothing, I'm sure a lot of you still have this problem too... so why haven't any solutions been found yet? It worked fine before, now this month it doesn't.
JohnArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 00:19   Link #12
GundamWind

what is meant when they say ram timing is the CAS latency. It in a nutshell means how many clock cycles it takes to access the RAM. Most of them have a CAS of 2.5, or 2. IF....IF you want to putz with it, kick your latency down by only a small fraction. I haven't really noticed anything wrong wit BT on my PC. Take into account I have 1024mb or RAM.
GundamWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-23, 16:40   Link #13
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer

Found the problem change your rooter but before you do test your connection directly in your computer from the original cable or phone line just to make shoure. You'll be suprise. I had the exact same problem. It works
Old 2004-01-23, 16:58   Link #14
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
Just for kicks, run through a memtest86 scan on your system see if that helps.

Some BT problems have been narrowed down to being RAM issues.
DWKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 14:11   Link #15
SirJeannot
AT Field

hum, i would try to look if the psu voltage are fine too ... just to make sure
Old 2004-01-31, 03:15   Link #16
Kurt

Win2k + BT = SELF REBOOT BY PC!

Ello Lads

I'm having something of the same problem. I'm running WIn2kPro, for several months now, rock solid OS. The orginal BT client worked fine for me but was extremely slow. I then switched to Shadows experimental 5.5.7 which has been self rebooting my PC very often. No error msgs before or after the reboot. It's similar to selecting "restart' from your windows ' start bar '.

Since then, I've tried using Shadows 5.8.8 (rebooted less often), the latest ABC which is based on the 5.8.7 core, is what i'm using now, and it reboots so much i lost count.

Any ideas as to what is going on? And possibly, how to stop the problem?

P.S. I have a 400 Watt power supply running a P4 2.6C, with an Intel motherboard, a Maxtor 80GB HDD, a Sapphire Radeon 9600Pro, a Pinnacle PCI capture card, a Soundblaster Audigy 2, 1 gig of Kingston Ram, a Linksys 10/100 network adapter, PSU/casing/processor fan are all working. i dont think lack of electrical power or heat dissipation is a problem for me.

______________ edit: several days later___________________________

P.P.S I have upgraded to WinXp Professional, and all restart problems have ceased.

Last edited by Kurt; 2004-02-03 at 02:16.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote