AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Kanon

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-02-18, 06:44   Link #101
Merridew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
"Uguu~ Boku Ayu!" - Yuuichi imitating Ayu at a job interview.
That got me laughing out loud
Merridew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 06:53   Link #102
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Well, I thought a dub version could be interesting to look at since there should be absolutely no way to mess up with any of those jokes or any of those great quotes... Then again, an Americanized "~uguu" would be something to be afraid of... Well, I think I would buy any American DVD they come up with, since all Americanized anime DVDs always have a Japanese voice-over selection...

As for my quote, I guess I'll stick with Episode 20...

U1: You might be fine now, but you may face problems in the future.
U1: For example, at a interview when you're applying for a job.
U1 "Ayu Imitation": "Uguu~ Boku Ayu."
U1: Say that and you'll be cut instantly.
__________________
~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 12:45   Link #103
VRMN
Dangoism
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: East Lansing, MI
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Then again, the dubbing might turn out horrible and I wouldn't end up buying it because of that. (at least the dub version)
Yes, such as Ayu's "boku" quirk that doesn't have an equilivant in the English language, Mai and Yuuichi's game of shiritori, Mai's quirk of adding "-san" to animal names (Mr. Bunny), Sayuri's quirk of referring to herself in exclusively in the third person (stands out a lot more in English)...a lot of stuff doesn't go smoothly.
VRMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 13:13   Link #104
Littlewashu5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 30
Sayuri referring to herself in 3rd person would sound incredibly awkward in English. And Japanese words like "Boku" not only don't have an English equivalent, they don't even fit into English grammatical structure

Mai's "san" quirk wouldn't be that hard to translate. Some of the dubs I've seen do use Japanese honorifics (though it's debatable whether or not an English dub should use them). And it's doubtful someone would try to translate "Uguu~" since it's a nonsense word even in Japanese
Littlewashu5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 13:54   Link #105
Meophist
Tell me who I am.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I'm not too sure how Kanon really can be dubbed, but if a company can pull it off, I'd say it's a great accomplishment.
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 17:13   Link #106
Littlewashu5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 30
Kanon wouldn't be THAT hard to dub, in the sense that you could probably tell the basic story in English and have people get the gist of it. However, a lot of the little details, idiosyncrasies, and character quirks that make Kanon great would be lost entirely in translation
Littlewashu5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 17:43   Link #107
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlewashu5 View Post
Kanon wouldn't be THAT hard to dub, in the sense that you could probably tell the basic story in English and have people get the gist of it. However, a lot of the little details, idiosyncrasies, and character quirks that make Kanon great would be lost entirely in translation
It wouldn't be lost entirely. There's no reason we can't leave in Ayu's 'Uguu,' Makoto's 'Auu,' Sayuri's 'Ahaha~' and third-person references (though it is more intrusive in English than in Japanese), change Mai's "animal-san" to "Mr. animal," and Shiori's "I don't like people who..." instances. The only really hard parts would be Ayu's boku-ore scene (which I would just change completely and stick a paragraph in the liner notes), Nayuki's '~ da yo,' which there could probably be found a substitute for, and Ayu's ending sentences with 'mou' ('jeeze!' or 'really!' or something similar could end up being annoying). Heck, even shiritori could just be switched up so that the letters match up for English. We're talking pretty minor stuff. If Azumanga Daioh can get a half-decent dub despite its cultural and linguistic hurdles, there's no reason Kanon can't be even better.
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 18:48   Link #108
Meophist
Tell me who I am.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
It wouldn't be lost entirely. There's no reason we can't leave in Ayu's 'Uguu,' Makoto's 'Auu,' Sayuri's 'Ahaha~' and third-person references (though it is more intrusive in English than in Japanese), change Mai's "animal-san" to "Mr. animal," and Shiori's "I don't like people who..." instances. The only really hard parts would be Ayu's boku-ore scene (which I would just change completely and stick a paragraph in the liner notes), Nayuki's '~ da yo,' which there could probably be found a substitute for, and Ayu's ending sentences with 'mou' ('jeeze!' or 'really!' or something similar could end up being annoying). Heck, even shiritori could just be switched up so that the letters match up for English. We're talking pretty minor stuff. If Azumanga Daioh can get a half-decent dub despite its cultural and linguistic hurdles, there's no reason Kanon can't be even better.
That's quite true, although I still don't think there's a way to translate Shiritori properly(the game simply doesn't work in English because there would be no losing condition).

In any case, I just saw a.f.k.'s sub of episode 20, and I think they handled the "boku/ore/atashi" section very well without using those terms.
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 18:54   Link #109
VRMN
Dangoism
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: East Lansing, MI
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to VRMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
In any case, I just saw a.f.k.'s sub of episode 20, and I think they handled the "boku/ore/atashi" section very well without using those terms.
Yeah, I was about to come in here and eat some crow over saying that was undoable. Kanon would be difficult to translate to English, but it's possible.

My hope for a localization has been restored. Thanks, [a.f.k.]!
VRMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 20:12   Link #110
Raniie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Tho, even the dialogue translation is possible into dub, the context behind the joke is lost due to cultural difference. If Yuuichi were to re-do that scene of Ayu saying "I AM Ayu." in dub, many westerners wouldn't get the joke, cause over here, girls talking like a boy is quite norm. and companies wouldn't reject her because of that. So I think for most western watchers, they would be like, huh? o.O

Anyway, this type of discussion should've really gone to http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=39958 - Kanon (2006) Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion thread.
Raniie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 20:44   Link #111
Meophist
Tell me who I am.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raniie View Post
Anyway, this type of discussion should've really gone to http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=39958 - Kanon (2006) Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion thread.
Except we're not talking about the voice actors, we're discussing quotes and lines from the show, which, I think fits under "Favorite Kanon Quotes".

In any case, I think a.f.k.'s translation/localization gives good insight into how the conversation might be translated in a dub. I'm often amazed at how some things get localized into a dub, so if a.f.k. can already do that much, I think a professional localization can do well as well.
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 20:14   Link #112
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Just figured I'd throw this out there. If nobody gets it, nobody gets it -- it may just be me. This isn't so much my favourite quote because of what it says, but in every well-written show they usually have at least one set of lines that "gives away" what the whole show is trying to say. As we approach the end, here's still the scene I think sums it up in Kanon (2006). I wonder if anyone else caught it at the time too (and it should have been a big hint, since it refers to the title of the show)? I notice panzerfan mentioned it too way back when, but I think it still applies today.

Spoiler for Episode 14 (Sayuri talking to Yuuichi) -- S-S/Eclipse translation:
I don't think that's only a metaphor for that particular sub-story, but it's actually a metaphor for the entire show on the whole. If you look at everything that's happened in the story in that light, the pattern, sequencing, and overlaying make perfect sense. And, it gives away the ending too. But you can't go analyzing the words, but analyze the metaphor. Why "Kanon"? Well, think about it, anyway. As I said, it might just be me.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2007-03-03 at 00:04. Reason: Thanks to blitz1/2 for the correction. Duh...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 22:47   Link #113
thecowninja
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Heh, one of my favorite quotes was when Ayu and Yuiichi were on the veranda at night, talking about her height, and why it's great. I don't remember the entire quote(hopefully someone can fill in the rest), but what I DO remember is this:

U1: You can order happy meals and not be embarrassed.
Ayu: *gets serious face* That's a good point...
thecowninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 23:37   Link #114
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fighting against those who oppress the system
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Just figured I'd throw this out there. If nobody gets it, nobody gets it -- it may just be me. This isn't so much my favourite quote because of what it says, but in every well-written show they usually have at least one set of lines that "gives away" what the whole show is trying to say. As we approach the end, here's still the scene I think sums it up in Kanon (2006). I wonder if anyone else caught it at the time too (and it should have been a big hint, since it refers to the title of the show)? I notice panzerfan mentioned it too way back when, but I think it still applies today.

Spoiler for Episode 14 (Shiori talking to Yuuichi) -- S-S/Eclipse translation:
I don't think that's only a metaphor for that particular sub-story, but it's actually a metaphor for the entire show on the whole. If you look at everything that's happened in the story in that light, the pattern, sequencing, and overlaying make perfect sense. And, it gives away the ending too. But you can't go analyzing the words, but analyze the metaphor. Why "Kanon"? Well, think about it, anyway. As I said, it might just be me.
I think you mean Sayuri not Shiori.
__________________

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 00:03   Link #115
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
I think you mean Sayuri not Shiori.
Oh, oops -- good call! They both started with S... (Truth be told, I am horrible, horrible, horrible with names -- especially in real life. )
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 08:26   Link #116
ChrisCaboose
Blade Master
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In a hotel room, plotting my next move.
Age: 22
I'm not good with English names, I always remember a Japanese name. It's just that they stick out in my head.
__________________
ChrisCaboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 19:19   Link #117
Aya Reiko
Cutengu
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Shameimaru's lap
I can't remember the episode (can someone remind me):

U1: What are your three sizes?
Nayuki (Sleeping): 83, 57... Hey!
Aya Reiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 20:25   Link #118
New/Old
Old to the New
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
That is actually an event in the game. Laughed quite a bit when Yuuichi did that.
__________________
Come what may.....
New/Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 20:50   Link #119
animefanrk2k
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New York
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to animefanrk2k Send a message via MSN to animefanrk2k
Let's pull one from episode one now that the series is over. XD

Akiko: It's rather late, but will you make it in time?
Nayuki: *power fist* If I run 100m in 7 seconds, I'll make it on time.
Yuichi: You'd set a world record with that.
Akiko: Good luck.
__________________
All wars come to an end.
animefanrk2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-17, 01:37   Link #120
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Arrow

Quote:
Ep24 - 19:18

Shota-Yuuichi: "Come on. Let's go."
Such a powerfully poignant scene.

;_;
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.