AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

View Poll Results: Fansub DVDs, Good idea/bad idea
Good Idea 15 34.88%
Bad Idea 28 65.12%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-02-01, 04:10   Link #61
Xellos-_^
Married

fansubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
I wish ^_^

but I have no r2 dvds or know anyone to get it form and i don't know japnese so i can't translate. Now if someone has access to r2 dvds and wants to sub it, feel free to contact me.

I didn't think so but someone actually took me up on my offer. Someone offer me access to a bunch of R2 anime dvds. I would appricate any help in translating Galaxy Express 999 TV and Kodomo No Omocha(Child's Toy).
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 10:44   Link #62
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
And when i said fansub dvd i mean the adding of a eng sub track to r2 dvds. Release of 4 Eps a vol and if any downsampling needs to be done, it will be done with Cinemacraft Encoder(CCE). The best commercial DVD encoding program availble.
Use KDVD -_-
Transcoding with CCE is pointless when you can use KDVD...
Old 2004-02-01, 15:33   Link #63
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
TMPGEnc is free to all those that can read.
Care to elaborate how? (Outside of breaking a few protections here and there?)
Quote:
And you could possible gain more quality than you lose, if the DVDs encodeing/clean up is bad (this is so for many DVDs I've heard). Even if you do lose quality, losing a tiny ammount of quality and possible more than halving the size if a fair trade of by me.
Um... so if you have a prized work of art, and it's starting to chip, would you take a brush yourself and touch it up? Because that's what you're doing when you're adding "quality" to a DVD. I personally wouldn't consider halving a size and losing a bit of quality because you might as well just go for an MPEG4 encode or something, and get even more bang for your buck.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 15:50   Link #64
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Care to elaborate how? (Outside of breaking a few protections here and there?)
You do something I'm not allowed to mention here, but everyone does it, it's all good. CCE costs hella more than TMPGEnc anyway, if they're using CCE they're using the same "method" that most people employ to use TMPGEnc :P

Quote:
Um... so if you have a prized work of art, and it's starting to chip, would you take a brush yourself and touch it up? Because that's what you're doing when you're adding "quality" to a DVD. I personally wouldn't consider halving a size and losing a bit of quality because you might as well just go for an MPEG4 encode or something, and get even more bang for your buck.
Mpeg4 won't play on a normal DVD player. That's the point of these DVD Fansubs... KDVD will play on a DVD Player. And yes, I would take up the "brush", just like companies take up that same brush at times when cleaning up old series and films for DVD releases. Actually, what do you think every good encoder does? Cleans up their less than perfect raw with filters. Take an old series, you'd prefer huge ammounts of messed up film grain that possibly evem effects quality of compression over someone (fansubber or original company) cleaning up the image and hugely improving quality? Sticking to the "original" quality of the anime is just BS, why respect something so silly when you can clean it up and make it look better.

The quality loss really won't be at all noticeable using KDVD if you're a good encoder (especailly viewed on a TV, letalone a monitor). However, transcoding down to 4.4gigs to sqeeze 4 eps on a disk using normal mpeg2 and CCE WILL give you a noticeable quality loss (unless again, you're a good encoder). There's a reason why 4 anime episodes take up 6-7 gigs on a lot of disks. Who the hell gives a crap about a 1% increase in new compression artifacts when you're killing more artifacts and improving the image with filtering AND possible cutting the filesize in half...
Edit: KDVD is just a newer, hugely more compressable format of mpeg2 compression. There's no reason not to use it....
Old 2004-02-01, 16:14   Link #65
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

Although the MPEG2 side of TMPGEnc is not free there IS an external MPEG2 plugin for TMPG to use.

Just google for it, or www.dvdrhelp.com should have it somewhere.

KDVD is far superior to other DVD encoding methods. Most companies make KDVD size transfers on DVDs because they have such great sources to start from. (HD masters)

I was able to get Uninhabited Planet Survival eps 1 and 2 with only minimal quality loss (and on occasion, better because I cleaned it) from the source. The result....500-600MB! If anyone wants to disprove this please msg me on IRC and I will be glad to send you the file.