AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2007-03-23, 09:55   Link #1
Infinity Blade

Unhappy Torrents seem to be fragging my connection.

Hi there. ^^; I've just been having this problem with this new, day-old computer of mine...

As its brand new, it runs Windows Vista, if that's any help. I've not had problems with ANYTHING else... but whenever I try to run any BitTorrent program (I've tried three thus far), my internet connection just... stops. I can't load any web pages, use AIM, or anything like that. And though there still seems to be a connection, the files just really aren't downloading very well... torrents I know I'd have no problem with in the past just aren't going like they should.

Been using Torrents for years on my old computer, and I never had any issues.

Anyone have any thoughts? ._. Sucks that I have all this space on my computer now, and I can't even fill it like this. o.o;;
Infinity Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 14:02   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

What bittorrent programs did you try, and if you are using a firewall, what is it?
Old 2007-03-23, 16:32   Link #3
Infinity Blade

It's with any torrent client I use.

I'm not sure about a firewall, though that did occur to me earlier. I just need to figure out where to look for it, I suppose...
Old 2007-03-23, 17:51   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity Blade View Post
It's with any torrent client I use.
It may not be an issue, but I know that there have been problems with at least two BitTorrent clients (in some cases, only specific versions) and Windows Vista. If you've tried every listed BT client, then never mind, but otherwise you mentioned that you tried three programs. I just wanted to make sure that the three that you did try were not three that are known to be incompatible with Vista.

In addition to potential firewall issues, I suppose it's also possible that a virus scanner could be causing problems.

If you haven't installed a firewall, I'd guess that Vista has a firewall built in, and you may need to tinker with those settings.
Old 2007-03-23, 21:31   Link #5
Infinity Blade

Ah, well, I used the official one, BitComet, and uTorrent. I wasn't expecting any different results with anyhthing else after using that many and having the same results time and again. ^^;
Old 2007-03-24, 10:49   Link #6
Andu

Send a message via MSN to Andu
Its not your computer, its your internet connection. You need to limit your upload speed. If your upload hits the maximum, you are unable to send commands to websites so they wont open or anything. Whenever i dl via torrent, i give most of my upload to the torrents, leaving around 3-5 kbs for browsing.
I suggest you use utorrent since it has options to change your upload and download in the menu and in utorrent, they are very easily accessed.
Andu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 12:01   Link #7
Infinity Blade

Afraid that's not the case. I tried just that, with the same results. :\
Old 2007-03-25, 12:35   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Try Azureus. Since it runs in Java, it should perform the same across all platforms.

I don't know which, if any, Java version comes with Vista. I'd recommend installing Sun's version, then trying Azureus.
Old 2007-03-25, 14:41   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have the "upload problem" that results in the same symptoms you describe that I have to manage with throttling (my sat-isp's router just can't handle the amount of connection setup and take down or a huge number of connections)... so that was my second guess after Vista's "new" firewall. Do you have more than one computer that uses the router? If so, does the other experience logjam as well when you try to torrent with your new computer?

I don't know that changing clients is going to make much difference -- both utorrent and Azeurus are pretty good depending on what features you like. I'm unaware of any reports that the Vista firewall responds to apparent DDOS attacks by locking all the ports down (torrents are sometimes mistaken for DDOS attacks by firewalls ... ). However, you apparently aren't getting any alarm signals from the firewall?

Note: Microsoft still doesn't get along with Sun --- be sure to install Sun's JRE no matter what if you run *any* java application.

Two possibilities to consider:
Its *possible* you got a cheapshit network port on your mobo (pre-assembled computers tend to cut corners) so if the firewall tweaking doesn't seem to resolve it... you might try putting in a more robust Vista-supported network card as a last resort.

The other possibility is that you got a much improved network port hardware and its performance is more than your router can stomach (see my problem in first paragraph). You might also try swapping out routers if someone has a more upscale router you can borrow.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 17:22   Link #10
Infinity Blade

Azureus is a no go. (Like I said, it doesn't matter what torrent program I'm using - it's just torrents in general.)

Turning off Vista's firewall is no help. Same results.

My computer's the only one connected to my modem. So no router.

And there's really nothing to tell me just what's really causing this, so resorting to getting a whole new network card seems to be kind of an extreme measure. Especially since I'm low on funds and have no idea if that's the case.

I've done several Google searches on BitTorrent & Vista, and tend to always come up with someone having SIMILAR problems, but not always exactly the same ones and their solutions are either in terms that are far beyond what I know of computers, or just plain don't work. @_@;;;
Old 2007-03-28, 18:03   Link #11
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Given that he used torrents on his old computer, I would guess that the problem doesn't lie with his router (although you could try to reboot your router, if you haven't already). Unless he needs to set his router up to accommodate the new computer.

To test if it were his network card - the physical card, not the drivers - he could install WinXP to a separate partition and try to run a torrent there. Not a huge issue, but Infinity Blade, you shouldn't do it if you feel that it's above your tech level (I consider myself an advanced user, and, just because I don't deal with partitions much, even I'm a bit loathe to start partitioning things with the intent of re-integrating them).

I'm betting on crappy drivers. Check it out and see if there are any newer drivers available. Set a system restore point or something before going with new drivers, though.
Old 2007-03-28, 23:19   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The driver issue sounds reasonable.... makes me wonder just how "verified" computers sold with Vista really are.
Old 2007-03-29, 15:36   Link #13
Andu

Send a message via MSN to Andu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity Blade View Post
Azureus is a no go. (Like I said, it doesn't matter what torrent program I'm using - it's just torrents in general.)

Turning off Vista's firewall is no help. Same results.

My computer's the only one connected to my modem. So no router.

And there's really nothing to tell me just what's really causing this, so resorting to getting a whole new network card seems to be kind of an extreme measure. Especially since I'm low on funds and have no idea if that's the case.

I've done several Google searches on BitTorrent & Vista, and tend to always come up with someone having SIMILAR problems, but not always exactly the same ones and their solutions are either in terms that are far beyond what I know of computers, or just plain don't work. @_@;;;
First of all, a windows-integrated firewall shouldn't cause such problems. Getting a new network card is an option you shouldn't consider ( i am using the cheapest one around, it cost me about 4 euros and works well). If the problem was in the network card, your torrents wouldn't run either (if i understood correctly, your torrents run fine but browsing the internet is not possible). The problem has to lie within your connection or modem. Just double-check everything you can on these and you'll find the problem. The other possible culprit here could be Vista, but i can't help you with it since i haven't used it. The solution to this (Vista) is changing to win xp (which is, at the moment, better than Vista in every way. Maybe not looks but everything else).
Andu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 23:38   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just to show how bizarre solutions can get:
I was working with an IT team and development engineers on a network upgrade in our own offices (no lack of brainpower). We'd updated one workstation from WinNT to Win2K ... and it wouldn't see the network at all. We checked everything (and I mean *everything* including the installation drivers, testing the cables on other machines, reseating, etc) .... finally our new network admin sorceress said, "I don't the f*ck know" ... and swapped out a completely verified cable for another one. The connections worked and the system was fine ..... fnar.

We filed it under "f*cking magic".