AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2007-03-23, 18:36   Link #281
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBend View Post
By the way, does anyone have any news on 12 riven?
The lead writer finally announced last week that development has resumed. I guess it took some time for Cyberfront to regroup the core staff (the ones still available for work anyway) and work out all necessary contracts.

I don't think anyone is ready to comment on when the game might be released, so we'll just have to be patient.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 16:48   Link #282
Yawlarutan

Hi there, I finished the game today and I must admit it's THE greatest visual novel I ever played. Definitely a masterpiece.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Hmm. Sorry about any mistakes I made, English isn't my native language and i had some beers a while ago .

Last edited by Yawlarutan; 2007-03-26 at 22:54.
Yawlarutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 11:31   Link #283
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawlarutan View Post
Hi there, I finished the game today and I must admit it's THE greatest visual novel I ever played. Definitely a masterpiece.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:

Hmm. Sorry about any mistakes I made, English isn't my native language and i had some beers a while ago .
Spoiler:

*cough* guess it is also a good timing to submit my opinion too XD
finished Ever17 today, and i was greatly pleased how far the story could go, with so much concept.
the amazing thing was especially how the story was written and told, giving subtle hints (mainly You's route, with some smooth inconsistancies which could lead some crazy theories without coco's route)

it reminds me a lot of higurashi and its multiple arcs system, which converge to "the truth". (despite the structure and the goal are clearly different)
basically, the "flat truth" is kinda... well, flat, but the way the game is done deserves praises.

the other great point was the logic behind lots of concept, especially that the writers didn't forget the redundant "grandfather paradox" in such story, though they didn't really fix the "predestination paradox" (did they actually explained how
Spoiler for True End Spoiler, newbs, don't read or your are doomed:
)

Every17 has a solid story and gameplay. and i might add the "mood" here : the music, seiyuu and emphasis (description of Takeshi/Kid perspective, summary of the days, etc) work wonder.
of course, Ever17 isn't perfect : my complaints are
  • Bad Ends logics : basically, except sara's bad ends, the other 2 aren't triggered by a "bad choice" but by a mere "you are not loved enough by either tsugumi or sora". things get uglier when you consider that sora had nothing to do with the "good ending trigger" (it was You, so hem...)
  • with some extent with the prior point, without any guide, if a player end into a bad end, that person would have to try again from the start, since there isn't any clue in which part that player screwed up. (not enough "affection" ? wrong choices? etc)
  • Sara's script and ends : except her "past" with You, her personality and background were not really covered pretty well... she was kinda the comic relief/side character, except critical events with "you-know-who". Also, her route was really unbalanced, considering how many "You's route" options were cluttering kid's perspective. (in fact, near the end, you can get back with You, and even fix the apssword thing in the very end -___- )
  • some translation adaptations : i'm not talking about the errors, but mainly some problems with the adaptation. I was however pleased with "urashima taro" <=> "Rip van Winkle" (this change made sense and didn't inflict inconsistancy, though it was quite weird to hear urashima taro). and frankly, there wasn't any option for You, since the pun was rampant (especially with the Opening, with the blatant japanese quote + "i am YOU" which wasn't the subtitle)
anyway, these above points are negletable here : this VN is a top nocht product. (being one of the rare officialy translated VN available, it would be a shame to miss it.)

as for my favourite parts...
Spoiler for coco's route:

yup, nothing original, coco's route is of course the best ^^

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-03-27 at 12:50.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 13:10   Link #284
Yawlarutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
the other great point was the logic behind lots of concept, especially that the writers didn't forget the redundant "grandfather paradox" in such story, though they didn't really fix the "predestination paradox" (did they actually explained how
Spoiler for True End Spoiler, newbs, don't read or your are doomed:
)
Spoiler:
Yawlarutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 14:11   Link #285
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-27, 23:16   Link #286
Matt Soulblade
1000 times better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Matt Soulblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 01:38   Link #287
Yawlarutan

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-28, 11:34   Link #288
kgptzac
Summoner of the Third Eye

ok it's been some time i last throw myself into discussion about the phenomon in Ever 17; this time more things can be explained with Cure Syndrome, the underlying theme of the entire Infinity series including Never 7, Ever 17, and Remember 11.

Spoiler for memory loss:

Spoiler for Coco and onii-san:

Spoiler for for klashikari's spoiler:

to be updated.

Last edited by kgptzac; 2007-03-28 at 11:54.
kgptzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 12:53   Link #289
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBend View Post
thx guys... got any more?
Phantom of Inferno. Dirt cheap, easy to get, and a total classic which IMHO eclipses Ever17 by a wide margin.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 13:12   Link #290
Yawlarutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Phantom of Inferno. Dirt cheap, easy to get, and a total classic which IMHO eclipses Ever17 by a wide margin.
Really? I must check it out then. It will be a hard fight against ever17 though, I believe.

Is any trailer/demo of Phantom of Inferno available?

@kgptzac
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-30, 11:27   Link #291
lithium9mm
jelly beans are magical!

I know this is going to sound totally crazy, but what exactly is a bishoujo game? O_o I saw the trailer for this and it looks really neat ^_^
lithium9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 12:03   Link #292
lithium9mm
jelly beans are magical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
bishoujo games are dating sim, eroge and visual novel games
ohhhhhhhhh ok.. I was wondering why I couldn't do anything in the demo there.
lithium9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 12:14   Link #293
rg4619

Bishoujo = "pretty girl", so a presentation that emphasizes cute female characters could be described as such (romance may or may not be a part of the story).

It's a genre classification of sorts in Japanese manga and games. I think I should stress that bishoujo games don't necessarily have to be visual novels (they could be RPGs, fighting game hybrids, etc.), nor are all visual novels bishoujo games.

The market has only turned out this way because
a) visual novels are way cheaper to make and are therefore more profitable/less risky
b) there is little mainstream demand for visual novels
c) otaku don't tend to be hardcore gamers, so there's no need to present an elaborate, highly interactive experience
d) there are far more male otaku than female ones, so bishoujo titles dominate the market

Ever17 still falls back on basic genre conventions (the non-protagonist characters are mostly cute females, and some romantic elements exist). However, the bishoujo/romantic aspects have been de-emphasized in favor of presenting a complex sci-fi thriller that anyone should be able to enjoy.
Old 2007-03-30, 12:49   Link #294
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Really? I must check it out then. It will be a hard fight against ever17 though, I believe.

Is any trailer/demo of Phantom of Inferno available?
Yes.

I've written a full (non-spoiler) review on the game here.

It also contains two links to two different trailers, which you can download and watch. They should give you an idea what you can expect.

The game comes with my utmost praise. If you liked the storytelling and drama of Ever17, there's a very good chance that you'll love PoI too.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 12:13   Link #295
kamen9

I have recently played and beat the game. It was incredibly awesome, however, there was a small problem that I experienced. Every time the closing credits end my game crashes and I am unable to see the epilogue for Coco. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so how did you fix it?
kamen9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 20:57   Link #296
p997tt
= Porsche 997 Twin Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
The game comes with my utmost praise. If you liked the storytelling and drama of Ever17, there's a very good chance that you'll love PoI too.
I agree. I got Cal's ending last night and only Mio's left now. I've to say, PoI is awesome. I love Ever17, and I wouldn't say PoI is better but I wouldn't say it's worse either. They're both good in their own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamen9 View Post
I have recently played and beat the game. It was incredibly awesome, however, there was a small problem that I experienced. Every time the closing credits end my game crashes and I am unable to see the epilogue for Coco. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so how did you fix it?
Yeah I had the same problem. But the solution is quite easy - the problem seems to come from the mov_end.e17 file so you just need to make a copy of another .e17 file and rename it to mov_end.17. Remember to make a backup of the original mov_end.e17 before you do so. Later you can watch the original mov_end.e17 with VLC media player (the player is free).

Last edited by p997tt; 2007-04-24 at 21:18.
p997tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 06:06   Link #297
FireBend

Is PoI a full name? Or is it short for the real name? If so can u tell me the full name?
FireBend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 12:57   Link #298
rg4619

Phantom of Inferno
Old 2007-04-26, 17:29   Link #299
Kusaja

As for Ever 17, I think I'm another satisfied customer.

The story becomes far more straightforward once it all gets laid out, but you could well say that the journey is better than the sum of its parts.

Spoiler for Final endgame comments:

Last edited by Kusaja; 2007-05-06 at 19:05. Reason: removed outdated comment
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 23:19   Link #300
JoGi86

It's 06:08 AM here...
I instaled it at about ~8 PM yesterday.

I just realized that i've been playing 10 hours straight when my alarm clock rang...

Seriously... one of the best games i played recently...

(Still... i feel kinda sad when i think how many games like this are translated, compared to ammount of great games that come out in Japan every year... )
JoGi86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
visual novel