AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-29, 17:52   Link #1
Snow_hime

Send a message via Yahoo to Snow_hime
unlicenced yokai stuff

here's the deal i did a presentation on folklore in anime for a con my club hosted and now the club of another local collage asked me to do it for them. the only problem is that i cannot use licened anime becase they are worried about being sued. this is a problem because most of my presention was based on licenced shows like tactics, naruto, blue seed, and inuyasha, and the con is on sunday, and its thursday today. i need some suggestions on what i should show.

my presentation is focused on creatures in japanese folklore like tengu, yuki onna, kitsune, tanuki, and kappa. if anyone has any suggestions of an unlicenced show that has one or all of these creatures in it I'd be really greatful. and it would be great if you could tell me when and in what ep these creatures appear. thank you very much.
Old 2007-03-29, 18:11   Link #2
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Kemonzume, and Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi have some of the elements you are looking for, and both of them are unlicensed.
Old 2007-03-29, 19:05   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

Petopeto-san - most of the characters are japanese monsters (two kappas among others...)

Kanon (2006) -
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-30, 04:17   Link #4
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
Here by request! -Salute.-

Well, Naruto was an okay example of some monsters in Japan.. But at the same time they really didn't do it justice. While I like Orochi as a character I think they could have done a better job of portraying the classic beast Yamata no Orochi.

Sadly, Inu-Yasha is a little more dead on than Naruto as much as I hate to admit it. [I'm not a fan.] Kirara, is, after all, what seems to be a nekomata. e.e

The Obakemono Project is an absolutely spectacular website if you want information on the creatures specifically. As for them in unlicensed anime..

GeGeGe no Kitaro is sadly the only one that comes to mind. It was done by Shigeru Mizuki who created many amazing creatures of his own back in his day. Kikoushi Enma was recently licensed, and they had an awesome kappa in it.

Jigoku Shoujo is okay as well, but she isn't a real creature to my knowledge either.

Ghost Hunt, while it deals with dominantly deals with simple spirits in the beginning gets much deeper the further it gets into the series. It goes on to give a glance at the native religion of Japan [Shinto] and other practices in Japan. Furthermore, it also shows how exactly the common oni is created through the death, deconstruction, and reconstruction of the human soul.

Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto also had 'Tengu' in it, although they were mere thugs in the end. Finally, there's an episode of Gintama that has a kappa like creature. There's also a movie to be released centering around a kappa..

And there's also the light hearted Kappa no Kaikata. xD

In the end though if you can dig up some GeGeGe no Kitaro, that would be amazing for your project since Shigeru Mizuki is one of the fathers of bakemono, yuurei, and youkai in our media.

Also be on the look out for the up and coming release Mononoke. The original part of the series was licensed [Bakeneko] but there's always Mononoke which deals with some more obscure Japanese myth-beasts.

Perhaps rather than simply focusing on them in anime, I'd make it more about how anime has essentially killed the traditional feeling of bakemono. xD Inu-Yasha really does them no justice!

Hope I could help you out.
The above link will take you to the blog where I am posting my own original fiction. As of right now it does not have a working title. It takes place in the life of the exiled Kami [God] as he ascends back into the high heavenly plain, Takamagahara. I hope it will be an enjoyable read and will keep you entertained until the climax. All reviews and criticism is greatly appreciated.
Old 2007-03-30, 06:31   Link #5
miaka

haruka naru toki no naka de - epi 7 (Yorihisa befriend with a mythical creature, epi 5, 8 & etc. - tengu
akazukin chacha epi 7 -- snow lady
Gintama epi 21 -- a kappa alien
master of mosquiton -- snow lady
Hell teacher Nube -- oni, snow lady, kitsune...
Kappa no Kai-kata - kappa
rakugo tenyo Oyui - tanuki
Closed Thread