AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-03-06, 19:26   Link #201
DrunkManCrying
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I just can't get over the bad acting! What kind of instructions do they give the actors anyway? "No, you see this character actually talks like he's reading from a teleprompter".
And the CGI... I wish I could write the one animating/producing it down in a 'Death Note' of my own, it looked like a frigging videogame for chrissake!

In my opinion movies that adapt anime/manga should be made to be a movie based on a manga/anime, not a movie that imitates it like this piece of shit!

Meh, I don't know, I just feel that this movie was more like a high-school project than an actual movie.
DrunkManCrying is offline  
Old 2007-03-06, 19:42   Link #202
Lycestra
feed me weird things
*Fansubber
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cheesehead
The movie was made to work on the big screen, with a budget and a climax. I actually saw the movie after only seeing a few episodes of the anime. In Japan, both movies were out before the TV series. From that angle, it's really about as good as it could get. Ever read a novel and then see the movie? You'll get the same thing. Tho I must admit that Naomi's role in the movie made me quite disappointed in her role in the anime.

Another thing to consider: How do you know how brilliant and scheming Light was in the anime/manga? Voice overs. The anime frequently had him thinking on screen, he was shown with red eyes and hair, and was very easily portrayed as smart, and aware of his surroundings. Even L had that luxury in the anime. Meanwhile, in the real world, you don't get that pleasure. Watch the movie, and consider what was going through Light's head. His actions are a bit more calculated than you might think, but we don't get to read his mind. L naturally comes out as smarter because he is recognized as such by more people. I don't recall the movie having more than his father and sister complimenting Light. Different medium means different approach, as well as having time constraints.

On its own, I think it is a perfectly fine movie. And the second is no slouch either, but anyone who insists on comparing the second movie to the manga/anime will be woefully disappointed. It's not the same. If it was the same, why not stay home and read a book. That said, you now may have a reason to watch it. Because it has things you won't (and as a thriller, shouldn't) expect.
Lycestra is offline  
Old 2007-03-08, 10:34   Link #203
zeper
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
there are two parts to the movie... the last name and the last name 2 :P

oh sorry u allready posted abouit that sorry/// didnt noticed there were 5 pages//
zeper is offline  
Old 2007-03-08, 12:05   Link #204
orange-kun
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 28
i think the movie wasn't that bad
orange-kun is offline  
Old 2007-03-10, 09:09   Link #205
Renchan
Nyaw~~ X3
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Renchan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeper View Post
there are two parts to the movie... the last name and the last name 2 :P

oh sorry u allready posted abouit that sorry/// didnt noticed there were 5 pages//
Last Name 2?
The second Movie title is The Last Name
and the first movie title is only Death Note

Same, I think the movie wasn't bad
Renchan is offline  
Old 2007-03-15, 02:09   Link #206
FlashCE
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Now that I've seen up till episode 22 of the anime, I gotta say the movies' storyline is just... bad.
FlashCE is offline  
Old 2007-03-21, 17:31   Link #207
Ori
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Send a message via AIM to Ori
I know most of you guys here dislike the movie, but I actually like the movie's ending despite the fact I read the mang as it got published a while back.

In my opinion lots of the characters they skipped over weren't that important in the greater scheme of things anyway. For a condensed version, the movies weren't bad at all, they got the essence of the story down well enough.
__________________

Life lesson #146180: girls love pyromaniacs
Ori is offline  
Old 2007-03-22, 00:14   Link #208
Melodymix
Ying Yang
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: .::NeW zEaLaNd ::.
Age: 21
I actually think they did quite a good job considering it was a manga/anime to start off with. But yea, some scenes did have bad acting in it
__________________

<img src=http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/Evernex/Anime/gintoki.jpg border=0 alt= />
Melodymix is offline  
Old 2007-03-24, 00:40   Link #209
silvery_anne
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I am wondering, is Death Note Live Action Movie 2 out already? I didn't see the torrent on Animesuki
silvery_anne is offline  
Old 2007-03-24, 19:46   Link #210
akoftroy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
The ending to movie #2 was interesting but I don't quite understand why L would write his own name down and what it actually accomplished.

L has physical ownership of two notebooks at this time, did he think there was another one out there? Who was he protecting himself against by writing his name down?

Also, even had he not written his name down, almost nothing would have been different. He would have died because of Rem, but Yagami-papa and co. would catch Light afterwards. All writing his own name down allowed L to do was to rub the capture in Light's face. Did he decide to take the 100% chance to rub it in Light's face and die rather than possibly die before that? I just don't know what L was protecting himself from by writing his own name down. What was going to happen where that would have made a difference?

Also, how did he even know that "writing your name down invalidates all subsequent name writing in other notebooks"? This rule is never given in the plot of the series and Rem was not talking at all.

Also, shouldn't Rem be able to tell if a human is already under the control of a Death Note?
akoftroy is offline  
Old 2007-03-25, 16:54   Link #211
Ashlotte
Clockwork
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Well this is coming from someone who hasnt read the manga yet (I know...I know...Someday. )...It really wasnt all that bad to be honest.

It was just kinda fun to see something animated turn into live action I guess. Yes the guy that portrays light sucks and doesnt look the part, but L was great and misa was adorable so you know I just dont let it bother me.

Overall it was enjoyable and I cant wait to see this supposed L prequel thats coming.
__________________

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline  
Old 2007-03-26, 17:02   Link #212
Kite14r2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I liked the movies but as it got to the end, it started to make less and less sense and everyone seemed to drop in IQ. Why would L kill himself anyway? I just want to know. Does the ending of the manga make sense and is it good?



(also, did you ever find out L's name?)
Kite14r2 is offline  
Old 2007-03-27, 12:56   Link #213
Kittie Rose
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Misa has black hair? Urgh, how gay. I hate when they make everything "Normal" in movie adaptions of comics/manga etc.

I don't like that kind of approach at all and it puts me off it. Bleached blonde asian gothic lolitas are quite possibly the cutest things on earth but ones with black hair are a dime a dozen :/ Blonde + goth = unique.
Kittie Rose is offline  
Old 2007-03-27, 13:00   Link #214
Kittie Rose
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
Misa has black hair? Urgh, how gay. I hate when they make everything "Normal" in movie adaptions of comics/manga etc.

I don't like that kind of approach at all and it puts me off it. Bleached blonde asian gothic lolitas are quite possibly the cutest things on earth but ones with black hair are a dime a dozen :/ Blonde + goth = unique.
I guess if she only had a background role it's understandable... but she better bleach it or wig up for the second movie :/ It's just a pet peeve of mine when "Live action" has to mean "More boring version thereof". Like Keanu Reeves' shitty black haired non-trenchcoat wearing John Constantine. Didn't they make Rei Ayanami "Normal" in some promo pics for a live action EVA?
I mean, they can have evil looking death monsters, but a blonde japanese girl? And a goth to boot? Pfft.

Maybe in the next movie when she tries to be his girlfriend, he'll be all like "But I like blondes."

But hold on -

http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/deathnote/

EVERYONE THERE HAS BLACK HAIR. Argh! That looks kind of creepy. A real grouping of japanese weirdos wouldn't have their natural colours. Are they trying not ot offend the "elders" too much or something? And why is everyone trying to look solemn and badass? Only L is in character. Misa is so out of character looking and not just the hair! The actor is really hot though I wish she'd bleach it and smile or something :/
Kittie Rose is offline  
Old 2007-03-28, 12:32   Link #215
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
I guess if she only had a background role it's understandable... but she better bleach it or wig up for the second movie :/ It's just a pet peeve of mine when "Live action" has to mean "More boring version thereof". Like Keanu Reeves' shitty black haired non-trenchcoat wearing John Constantine. Didn't they make Rei Ayanami "Normal" in some promo pics for a live action EVA?
I mean, they can have evil looking death monsters, but a blonde japanese girl? And a goth to boot? Pfft.

Maybe in the next movie when she tries to be his girlfriend, he'll be all like "But I like blondes."
First, you do realize there is a thing called the Edit Button?

Seriously, what did you expect from a LIVE ACTION version?

While multi-coloured hair is a daily staple of anime characters, with their seemingly gravity-defying hairdos, IMHO I'd be horrified to see everyone trying to dye their hairs into multi colours for a live action adaptation. It'd just look downright silly.


Quote:

But hold on -

http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/deathnote/

EVERYONE THERE HAS BLACK HAIR. Argh! That looks kind of creepy.
Creepy? I don't find anything wrong with the picture at all.

While I understand your gripe about Misa's hair colour, I seriously don't see what's wrong with the others with their NATURAL HAIR COLOUR. Not to mention their manga counterparts had black hair as well, so I don't know what you're complaining about.

Quote:
A real grouping of japanese weirdos wouldn't have their natural colours. Are they trying not ot offend the "elders" too much or something?
Please note besides Misa, who is supposed to be a Goth-loli, and thus your definition of a "weirdo". Light is a "straight A elite student" (on the outside at least), Watari is L's butler-like assistant, and Light's dad is your average cop. Besides L's eccentricities and Light's megalomanical attitude, you're telling me the rest are all weirdos?

Quote:
And why is everyone trying to look solemn and badass?
What else do you expect them to look? Smiling and looking cheerful in an otherwise morbid story?

I personally thought Toda Erika did a decent job as Misa, better than Fujihara Tatsuya's Light, though still paling in comparison with Matsuyama Kenichi's L.



No offense intended to anyone here, but once again, what is with all the influx of negative opinions? Most of them formed their opinions AFTER watching the anime, when the movies were released BEFORE the anime was even aired and it got decent reviews. I'm afraid their views may have been influenced by the anime. Enjoy the movies for the decent LIVE ACTION adaptations they are, and not just a copy of the manga and anime, as well as be grateful they even bothered to make TWO movies instead of truncating all the story into one.
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline  
Old 2007-03-28, 20:47   Link #216
Kittie Rose
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
First, you do realize there is a thing called the Edit Button?

Seriously, what did you expect from a LIVE ACTION version?

While multi-coloured hair is a daily staple of anime characters, with their seemingly gravity-defying hairdos, IMHO I'd be horrified to see everyone trying to dye their hairs into multi colours for a live action adaptation. It'd just look downright silly.
Misa's bleached blonde hair is no weirder than her gothy attire. It's perfectly normal for japanese people to dye their hair these days, and bleached blonde hair goes with the Lolita look anyway. It makes perfect sense for Misa to be blonde.

And I wouldn't be horrified at all. You do realise that REAL people have those hair colours, right? Bright hair colours is one of the things I like about anime. People in the real world are fucking bores. The only reason that it's like that in the real world is because of that, and discrimination(social and employment). If people had the chance, there would be a lot more people dying their hair funky colours. After all, why does anime have such a range of hair colours to begin with? It's obvious that's how, at least subconciously, japanese people, and probably westerners due to anime's popularity, want the world to look like.

I'm positively horrified that they don't. It's very conformist. Not only is it not acceptable for people in the real world to have hair like that, we have to further re-inforce it by keeping alternative looking people out of our fiction too?

Quote:
While I understand your gripe about Misa's hair colour, I seriously don't see what's wrong with the others with their NATURAL HAIR COLOUR. Not to mention their manga counterparts had black hair as well, so I don't know what you're complaining about.
Err, probably because the Manga is in black and white?

Quote:
Please note besides Misa, who is supposed to be a Goth-loli, and thus your definition of a "weirdo". Light is a "straight A elite student" (on the outside at least), Watari is L's butler-like assistant, and Light's dad is your average cop. Besides L's eccentricities and Light's megalomanical attitude, you're telling me the rest are all weirdos?
I would say Light's Megalomania makes him a weirdo. L is definitely a weirdo, Misa is definitely strange, and many of the cop characters are hardly normal in their personality either, at all...
Kittie Rose is offline  
Old 2007-03-28, 22:09   Link #217
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 26
Just saw the second movie and so the circle is complete. I haven't read the manga, only following the anime, so I hope the ending isn't really like that! Nah it couldn't be.

Spoiler for movie 2:
__________________
Jaden is offline  
Old 2007-03-28, 22:56   Link #218
Kittie Rose
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Oh I didn't realise both movies were Live Action... so no blonde Misa ;_;
Kittie Rose is offline  
Old 2007-03-29, 07:21   Link #219
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
Misa's bleached blonde hair is no weirder than her gothy attire. It's perfectly normal for japanese people to dye their hair these days, and bleached blonde hair goes with the Lolita look anyway. It makes perfect sense for Misa to be blonde.
Please note that Japan IS a very conformist society, so conformist it actually freaks you out. So unless you don't want to work in those "normal" 9-5 jobs that ensures some sort of financial income in Japan, it's better off for you to keep your hair undyed.

Quote:
And I wouldn't be horrified at all. You do realise that REAL people have those hair colours, right?
And you do realize the story is set in Japan, where people's NATURAL hair colour is black? (Or darkish brown at best. )

Quote:
Bright hair colours is one of the things I like about anime. People in the real world are fucking bores. The only reason that it's like that in the real world is because of that, and discrimination(social and employment). If people had the chance, there would be a lot more people dying their hair funky colours. After all, why does anime have such a range of hair colours to begin with? It's obvious that's how, at least subconciously, japanese people, and probably westerners due to anime's popularity, want the world to look like.
You've said it yourself, most mangaka and anime creators draw their characters with colourful hair probably because black hair is boring. But I must emphasize again that this is a LIVE ACTION adaptation.

Quote:
I'm positively horrified that they don't. It's very conformist. Not only is it not acceptable for people in the real world to have hair like that, we have to further re-inforce it by keeping alternative looking people out of our fiction too?
Depends on how you want to see fiction. While flashy suits work in the X-Men comics, I'm just glad Bryan Singer didn't make Hugh Jackman wear that yellow leotard suit in the movie adaptation. When comics and animation gets adapted into a live action setting, the audience would prefer to see their characters as "realistic" as possible in order to better suspend their disbelief. Unless you want to see a "surreal" adaptation, like the recent "300" movie.


Quote:
Err, probably because the Manga is in black and white?
No, because the most of the characters' hair colour IS black, even in the anime.


Quote:
I would say Light's Megalomania makes him a weirdo. L is definitely a weirdo, Misa is definitely strange, and many of the cop characters are hardly normal in their personality either, at all...
I don't know about ethnic-Asian cops in Western countries, but in Asian countries, I have yet to see a "weird" cop with his/her hair dyed. The culture is just different.
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline  
Old 2007-04-03, 13:00   Link #220
Kai1
watashi wa L desu~
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quick question: I have watched death note till ep 24. Is there anything happening in the 2nd live action that could be a spoiler for the anime? I watched the first movie and it is almost the same as the anime apart from slight differences in the storyline.
Kai1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.