AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

Old 2007-04-03, 15:37   Link #101
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Found a few screens from ep 1, so go ahead and spoil yourselves if you can't wait for the raw.

Spoiler for ep 1:

Comments were a mixed bag on Futaba (it didn't generate anywhere near the same interest as Kissdum). The screens look promising though and I'm off raw hunting
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 16:12   Link #102
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Method View Post
While I totally agree with you on the audio(totally wish I could see the trailer straight from the site), I believe you are contradicting yourself on the definition of a trailer. A trailer is exactly what you said (see first line on second paragraph here).
I don't think this is a contradiction. I have been saying "clips" and "scenes" meaning that they showed longer clips than is typical in a trailer. In the wikipedia entry you reference they use the term "shots" instead, which I take to mean shorter than "clips" and certainly shorter than "scenes". Perhaps I'm partially responsible for this confusion, because I thought people would be looking at the video I was describing, and see for themselves that the pacing of the clips shown look like they are lifted in tact from the show, instead of having the sort of intensity that you would expect from the definition in the Wikipedia: "these excerpts are usually drawn from the most exciting, funny, or otherwise noteworthy parts of the film but in abbreviated form and without producing spoilers.".

At any rate, I hope we get to see the real thing soon, which was the original point of my post.

Last edited by Joojoobees; 2007-04-03 at 17:09. Reason: added link to post
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 16:14   Link #103
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

The raw is out!
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 16:47   Link #104
DangerMouse

I will have little idea what they are saying but I'm downloading it anyway lol.

I've seen some more screens from ep1 and I'm even more assured that I really like the character designs and the way they do the shadows on them. I can't wait to see the animation.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-04-03 at 17:02.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 17:46   Link #105
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I usually dont watch raws, but I may well do and exception here.
Old 2007-04-03, 18:14   Link #106
lommm
l'homme de lommm

slow speed seeding torrent.... arrrrgghhhhh!!!! it's enough to make me be consumed by my inner yoma!
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 18:18   Link #107
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep 1:
Old 2007-04-03, 19:20   Link #108
Srin Tuar
無謀

It seems interesting enough to watch more of.

The bad guys are kindof plain, and the all female claymore is predictably grim.
The fight scenes are the standard skip-the action style of choreography.
But the fact that she picked up a little assistant is interesting. I think I'll watch to see what happens to him.

Last edited by Srin Tuar; 2007-04-03 at 21:14.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 19:21   Link #109
lommm
l'homme de lommm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post
It seems interesting enough to watch more of.

The bad guys are kindof plain, and the all female claymore is predictably grim.
The fight scenes don't have the standard skip-the action style of choreography.
But the fact that she picked up a little assistant is interesting. I think I'll watch to see what happens to him.
Spoiler for yoma:

Spoiler for ep 01:

two questions:
is this scheduled for a finite # of eps or is it ongoing?
is there a claymore vid game yet?
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 19:30   Link #110
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

I'm not familiar with the manga, but I wasn't overly impressed honestly. The background art was great, but I found the character art pretty ugly, especially the way that Claire's armor made her look so highly sexualized. The fights were decent, but not really wowing, and I'm not really certain how much of that was the show actually having a budget, or the fact that 90% of the episode was talking heads.

So... at least to me... it was a pretty meh beginning.

aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 19:35   Link #111
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Interesting episode 1, the animation and style resembles Berzerk but color and tone are softer. Though, i didn't read the manga but i think it's appropriate for it's fantasy medieval setting.

The music are ok, the OP, ED and some part of the anime sounds a bit weird to me but it's not bad.

Actions are pretty gory but the animation in it is ok.

Not much to say about the story here, episode 1 is more of an introduction of the main character (Clare and Lucky?).

Seems like a good series to follow, i like the graphical feel of this anime.
Old 2007-04-03, 20:01   Link #112
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
So... at least to me... it was a pretty meh beginning.
I guess I'll agree, although I'll stick with it for a few episodes to see how it goes.

I thought the artwork was a little uneven. The faces were interesting. They have an unusual pouty quality that intrigued me, and sometimes they used strong lines in a nice way. On the other hand, I wasn't as impressed by the backgrounds as thought I would be, and the color scheme seems to flip back and forth between very thin (low saturation) to extremely unsubtle.

Spoiler for Thin:

Spoiler for Unsubtle:
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 20:03   Link #113
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

Yea, it's basically an introduction of Claire and Raki. Pretty good episode, seems like they will be totally following the manga (it was basically an exact replication of chapters 1 - 3).

Spoiler:

Last edited by Crystal_Method; 2007-04-03 at 21:21. Reason: usage of words annoyed me.. hehe
Crystal_Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 20:04   Link #114
froinlaven
Wanchu!

I've heard good things about the manga, but I couldn't really get into this. Like I was bored all the way through, except for the super gory parts. Does this get better? Like soon?

Full first impressions here.
froinlaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 20:08   Link #115
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

Very solid beginning, and a very good adaption so far.

The deceiving thing about Claymore is that the more the story unfolds, the less it's becoming clear who the good and the bad guys are. What sets Claymore apart from most other Shonen stuff is that there's a background story which carries the show on its own.

Claymore will probably forever be the show which had the biggest mood swing for me between trying it raw (meh! gory and yet another blonde girl slicer, yawn) and reading it translated (so that's how it is... aha... okay... now gimme the other ones. Right away!)

Let's hope that Madhouse manages to stay consistent with the amazing artwork.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 20:34   Link #116
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

As it started, I was totally freaked out by the animation, which seemed so bad to me. Then I realized it was actually pretty good, just a strange style. The rhythms were good, and Kuwashima Houko was so great to listen to. I really don't like monster shows, but somehow this may transcend that. I'm glad to hear there's some depth to the monsters, as we go on. The human relations were interesting, especially Raki and Claire.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 20:46   Link #117
Key Board
Donut

Just wait for the Theresa arc. It should start rather early

That's when I shat bricks in awe
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 21:24   Link #118
wrex_japan

Claymore ep. 1

Wow, I see lots of extreme reactions for this anime. I myself liked it, especially since I like bad-ass girls with big swords. Summary and screencaps.

It's good to hear that things do pick up later, because this first episode's story was a bit simple. Of course, it's just an introductory, so you can't really expect too much.
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 22:02   Link #119
flou
That's no lady

I actually (surprisingly) liked the first episode of Claymore as I read the first chapter of the manga and wasn't that impressed by it. I'll probably check out the manga now .

While I'm really not fond of the character designs even though I usually have high tolerance to these sorts of things, the animation was lovely and really fluid, especially the fight scenes. The transition between the first and second half of the episode was slightly rushed, but overall, I ended up letting that concern go after the Claire versus Youma fight began The opening and ending were both good (I really liked the ending and the animation that accompanied it).

Overall, I think it's worthy of being checked out at least, despite the character designs, and I'll probably end up following this in the end
Old 2007-04-03, 23:49   Link #120
DangerMouse

Finally got and skimmed through the raw, I personally liked it, I can see some complaints about how it's not overly complicated yet, but it's the first episode it's just an introduction, everyone familiar with the story says it gets pretty fantastic so I'll give that part time to develop.

I admit the character designs may not be for everyone since they are an usual style, but I really like them a lot the style definitely works for me. It's been a while since I've seen a dark fantasy show like this so I'm looking forwards to this once the subs come out.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote