AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Old 2007-04-08, 11:47   Link #461
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I guess it is something to be expected from an in-between project (I meant as a one between two big projects like the two Key games adaptations).
Take your keyfandom and get off the non-existant high horse. I am decently sure that every project is "big" to them since they put this much work into each one and only do one at a time. (I will subnote this too with that their next key project is considered minor outside of keyfans.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 11:56   Link #462
Asrialys

"Big" or not, if they're gonna do something, might as well make it look good, right?
Old 2007-04-08, 12:01   Link #463
Kaoru Chujo
Sakura Ayane

I enjoyed the show a lot, even though the dialogue-heavy nature of the humor meant that I missed part of it. It gave me a good feeling, and the half-hour seemed to fly by for me. I was impressed by all the voices, especially Endou Aya with the Gotou Yuuko voice as Miyuki (glasses). And I thought Hirano Aya nailed a voice for Konata and did some great things, including the rich slurping eating early in the show.

I loved the animation, particularly the hands. Less detail than Kanon, sure. But they did some darn good things. And some of the movements in the OP just gave me chills. Why shouldn't Yamamoto Yutaka do another version of something that worked so well? This one may be even better.

But I think AS and 2channel are proving Skane's point that some people will be surprised that this does not look like the KyoAni they know and love. Opinion seems to be running heavily negative over there, mainly because of the simple animation/backgrounds and because it isn't funny enough for their taste. I agree with one positive poster there who said that if you don't like this kind of humor in the comic, you won't like it in the show. I should correct that a bit: I like it better in the anime than I have so far in the comic. The voices bring it life.

And because it's so true, I will repeat that "sense of humor" is a slippery thing. The things I find hilarious others might not enjoy at all, and vice-versa. But this show is not hilarious, more like continuously amusing. It's not just gag humor, but atmosphere humor.

I would rephrase one of Skane's points. I don't see this as KyoAni taking a break, more like trying to produce something that requires fewer staff so as to make more money on it and have staff left to get to work on other shows, while still maintaining quality. Seems like an honorable goal to me. And they seem to be achieving the quality part, as I see it.
SAKURA Ayane 佐倉綾音 age 20. Dream Eater Merry; Hotarubi no Mori e (movie) Hotaru; Joshiraku Buratei Marii; NakaImo Miyabi; Kokoro Connect Yui's sister; Vividred Operation Akane; Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki (movie) Ladylee; Aiura Mei; Love Lab "Eno"; il sole penetra le illusioni Fuyuna; Eccentric Family Kaisei; High School DxD New Gaspard; Kimi no Iru Machi Asuka; Non Non Biyori Natsumi; Tokyo Ravens Suzuka; Engaged to the Unidentified Nadeshiko; Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection: Prism Show Best Ten (movie) Ayami, Rinne; Selector Infected Wixoss Yuzuki; Dragonar Academy Silvia; Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Kokoa; Knights of Sidonia Mozuku.
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2014 previews | spring 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Nisekoi |Nobunaga the Fool | Wixoss | Isshuukan Friends | Brynhildr in the Darkness | Kanojo ga Flag wo Oretara | Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to | Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san | Soul Eater Not | No Game, No Life | Is the Order a Rabbit? | Nanana's Buried Treasure | Mekakucity Actors | Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou | Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Knights of Sidonia | Black Bullet

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-12 at 02:06.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:04   Link #464
musouka

Humor is a sketchy thing. But I've always thought it was kind of silly the amount of hype this show was getting, not because of the source material, but because of who was animating it. Well, it's based on 4koma so I wasn't expecting anything ground breaking animation-wise...
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:07   Link #465
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
when i was doing my HW and watching the show its so funny that i didnt even answer a single question
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:08   Link #466
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But this show is not hilarious, more like continuously amusing.
Wow, not only does this accurately describe my opinion of Lucky Star, it also accurately describes my opinion of Azumanga Daioh.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:09   Link #467
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I feel the same way about AzuDai. So I'm actually not going into this expecting to laugh out loud (anime comedy rarely does it for me anyway). If it makes me smile, that's good enough.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:14   Link #468
Sheba
Wanna Be The G.I.R.L

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Humor is a sketchy thing.
QFT.

An extreme example, I know a friend who does laugh at Holocaust-related jokes in 4chan, I simply cannot stomach them.

On a added note, I simply cannot laugh at slapstick comedy in anime (I can smile but cannot burst into fits of laughter).
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:16   Link #469
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke View Post
Well, the opening owned, that is clear. But such dialogue heavy series, with little or no action I must wait for fansubs before making any judgements...

I knew from pictures that the animation will be very simplified (counting on that CLANNAD will feature their suberb animation again), so nothing to complaint.

*starts waiting for subs*
same here either... I will wait for the subs before making a comment....

the only comment so far I had was the sausage is nice... I mean the op... (yeah it's nice the beat oh... Pwnage)

Visit my Barracks Here / Tnx to Ganbaru and Marina for the sig
capture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:19   Link #470
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Seems like the opening is more popular than the show.

Seriously though, I think I'll like this. I don't know why Guile is fighting Izumi, but it seems like it should be...intriiiiiiiiguing. Oh and Kyoto Animation not being up to par on animation, well of course, they're just trying to transfer the style of the 4Koma. 2Chan basically disappointed themselves I think by having unrealistic expecations for a series that anyone could tell is not meant to change the world. Kyoto Animation targeted moe fans, now its time to target fans of bizarre humour (and I suppose with a touch of moe, but eh). I think 2Chan, Key fans, etc. need to get over that fact that this one isn't for them this time.

Oh and the opening is Psycho and caused me to have a shit eating grin on my face as I couldn't understand what was going on with the processed chipmunk style hyper voices. I think I get Izumi's message in the trailer now and that is "this will probably be you as you watch this show and try to figure out just what the hell's going on". Also hopefully people don't take the opening and with it all over across the internet (Well I know 2chan probably or somebody probably will) and we can enjoy the series without that overshadowing the gags at every turn.

I guess I'll get the most enjoyment out of this as I never had high expecations to begin with from Kyoto Animation. I start fresh with each new project at a medium level of anticipation, meaning I know its coming, but I generally don't feel either overly negative or overly positive about who's doing it, what is about and who's in it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:23   Link #471
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

I'll be waiting for the subs too.

It's not as frantic as I expected, but I can't say I didn't like it because it was heavy on dialogue and my japanese is below 10%, so I have no way to tell.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:25   Link #472
FireChick

I am currently uploading the opening song on YouTube. Is there an ending song to Lucky Star? I didn't see it on http://randomc.animeblogger.net by any chance.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:26   Link #473
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Not this episode, and not entirely certain if there will be one at all.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:26   Link #474
7Th
Mixtape

Heh watched the first episode, I won't follow as they copy the humor from the manga and I found that as unfunny as unaltered Garfield strips, I won't call it bad as I enjoy Space Moose and most people hate it, but the animation isn't really that bad. Unlike the shiny opening the series sports a much more interesting than Kanon or Air visual style due to it's simplistic minimal nature, the softer color palette and a natural motion management. While it may be nothing impressive it at least isn't jarring like the usual super-plastic KyoAni Key adaptations. If the comedy, concept and direction appealed to me I'll be glad to follow it.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:27   Link #475
FireChick

Lucky Star OP is now on Youtube! Just finished uploading it!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:28   Link #476
philip72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
But I think AS and 2channel are proving Skane's point that some people will be surprised that this does not look like the KyoAni they know and love.
The first things that comes to many peoples minds when Kyoani is mentioned, are Key characters and SHnY.
A 4koma based anime that sticks to it's source, has surprised (negatively) a lot of devotee's with the difference between this and previous Kyoani material.

The humor being different than a lot of guffaw/zany N.A. type humor, will have an initial negative effect as well.

However, I think once the initial shock and rounds of denunciation subside, this show will garner a substantial fanbase.
philip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:28   Link #477
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

The subtle humor of this anime will probably difficult to understand for non-Japanese. To me, it made me chuckle with "ah, yes yes, that's so true~ wwww" since the talk about yakitori & yakiniku are part of my own daily life.

As for this being KyoAni - if one knows their other works that they did as secondary genga studios, this is on par with them (i.e.: Crayon Shinchan, etc.)

The OP was once again, fantastic; the cheerleading sequence made me smile. However, as a fan of old anime and tokusatsu SFX, I actually loved the simple karaoke ED of Konata singing Kyodain. gizawarasu~ wwww

Also, as I have read through this thread, people are mistaken on their usage of "sakuga." Sakuga is not an adjective, it is a noun. Hence, using it in the term of "sakuga quality" is incorrect. If you want to state how good that sakuga is, it needs to be used with an adjective in front of it:

x sakuga quality (sakuga is not an adjective)
o great sakuga quality (adjective: great)
o piss-poor sakuga quality (adjective: piss-poor)
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:32   Link #478
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I think people are also using "sakuga quality" not with sakuga as an adjective, but as shorthand for "the quality of the sakuga." Thanks for the clarification, however.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:45   Link #479
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

Catchy opening, but to much (insider) dialogue for my humble japanese. Agreed.
I'll also wait for the first fansubbed version, before I rate this series. Anyway... it's so damn cute... *-*
Konata alone would be my personal reason for watching Lucky Star till the end. :3 She's so... awww. Sweet character. Konata > Chiyo-chan, imo. =)
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:54   Link #480
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Is there an ending song to Lucky Star?
Yes, and it's Konata singing Uchuu Tetsujin Kyodain wwww
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, kyoto animation, moe, otaku, school life, seinen