AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-07, 17:32   Link #1
retardation
phantom loser

quality films that aren't by ghibli

ok that's pretty self explanatory. looking for some good/great films that aren't by studio ghibli.

stand alone ones only please... not films that are spun off a series like end of evangelion, knocking on heaven's door, naruto or bleach movies, etc.
Old 2007-04-07, 18:11   Link #2
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Only one that comes to mind (haven't seen that many ) is Beyond The Clouds - it is really good
Old 2007-04-07, 18:59   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I recommend Millenium Actress by Satoshi Kon, who also directed Paranoia Agent and Tokyo Grandfathers. Millenium Actress retells 20th-century Japanese history through the vehicle of a film actress's career and her search for a lost love. I enjoyed Paranoia Agent quite a bit, but Millenium Actress is a more impressive work.
Old 2007-04-08, 00:34   Link #4
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

Steamboy - it was pretty good, there were some things that I didn't like but in general it was pretty good.
Gin-iro no kami no Agito - good chance for me to let people know where my avy is from. I loved this story, though I don't think others would see much in the story itself. As for the animation and art though, it's incredible.
Old 2007-04-08, 20:33   Link #5
Rahan

Hmm, all the ones I can think of are licenced (not sure if it really is in the US, but I own all the french DVD (except so not yet released Paprika), so I'll make as if).

I guess you don't want older Myazaki movies either, right ? (the first Ghibli movie is Laputa, Takahata and Myazaki were already veterans)

I recommend any Satoshi Kon movie. (Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika). He is my favorite japanese anime director (even ahead of Myazaki).

Memories : From Katsuhiro Otomo, acclaimed creator of Akira, comes an animated masterpiece; three short stories all put together as a series of Memories. Part one is titled Magnetic Rose, a science fiction tale that tells a chilling story of love, loss, and the unwillingness to forget. Part two is titled Stink Bomb - a tongue-in-cheek story of a chemical researcher who is just looking for a way to get rid of his cold... so why is everybody around him dying? Story three is titled Cannon fodder, and is an introspective tale about modern wars and simply following orders. Music conducted by Yoko Kanno, Jun Miyake, Hiroyuki Nagashima, and Takkyu Ishino.

Wings of Honneamise : An epic tale of a civilizations first faltering steps into space, set in an alien world that is strangely familiar to our own. When cadet Shiro Lhadatt signs up with the Royal Space Force, he encounters ridicule and apathy from manipulative leaders and a cynical public. A chance encounter with a devout young woman spurs Shiro on towards his destiny - to become the first man in space. While military leaders conspire to use the space program to spark an all-out war, Shiro and a team of aging scientists race against time to complete the first launch. The countdown has begun in a spectacular feast for the senses. Breathtaking animation, sumptuous design and a great vision combine to ensure that The Wings of Honneamise will become a classic in the anime hall of fame.
Old 2007-04-08, 20:51   Link #6
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Akira, Fist Of The North Star, Vampire Hunter D & VHD - Bloodlust, Appleseed, Urotsukidoji.

They're all pretty good imo. Not Grave Of the Fireflies good, but still worth a watch...
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Old 2007-04-09, 05:30   Link #7
Navel

My favourite movies that are not Ghiblies (I'll omit details because I'm lazy ^^)

Arete Hime
Brave Story
Hoshi no Koe
They were eleven!
Beyond The Clouds
Mari Iyagi
Metropolis
Millennium Actress
Mind Game
Nasu: Andalusia no Natsu
Palme no Ki
Perfect Blue
Tokyo Godfathers
Wonderful Days
Old 2007-04-09, 10:19   Link #8
hikarikokoro

wow, although i did not request for this thread, i would like to say THANKS!!!! I did not know there were so many and i have the soundtrack for beyond the clouds, and i seriously love it. Was wondering all along where this soundtrack came from, thanks for the information provided =)
Old 2007-04-09, 12:12   Link #9
Manifold

Hoshi no Koe, also known as Voices of a Distant Star. It's licensed, but well worth getting. Google for the Shinkai Collection which contains both 'Beyond the Clouds' and 'Voices of a Distant Star'. Same director for both those, by the way.

(Ar, I'm repeating someone else, ah well. This film is worth it.)

Erm, although you said you didn't want any by Studio Ghibli, maybe you could look at The Castle of Cagliostro. It's not strictly by Studio Ghibli as Ghibli didn't exist back then, though when you look on Amazon, you'll find it for sale branded with the Ghibli franchise. However, the director is the same old Hayao Miyazaki, but the style is quite quite different from the later Miyazaki movies.
Old 2007-04-11, 04:40   Link #10
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Ninja Scroll

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Old 2007-04-11, 12:29   Link #11
k0p4n

Gin-iro no kami no Agito was really good
well the action was kinda
anyway...i was lookin for the ost...i cant find it...lol...w/e....the last song is very good...it goes with the movie very well
Old 2007-04-12, 17:07   Link #12
sothis

movies are very difficult to find, since most aren't super great.

three of my favorite tragedies of all time, though, are movies:

Oseam (**note: it's Korean).
Dog of Flanders
Windaria (hi nosanninwa )

NOTE: windaria was released in the US as something called "once upon a time"; it was basically butchered to be aimed at 7 year olds, given a "happy" ending, new happy music, cut violent scenes, etc... even though it is an INCREDIBLY tragic movie. DO NOT WATCH the dubbed travesty that is Once Upon a Time.

Princess Arete is a wonderful Studio 4C movie, but it's quite slow.

Cat Soup might be considered an OVA since it's only 30 minutes, but it's dark and tim burton-ish and wonderful.

Karas is a must see, especially if you liked batman begins. note: manga released it as 1 of two movies here, even though in Japan it's a 6 part OVA (movie 1, which is out, is episodes 1-3)

if you are looking for sheer hilariousness (or something fun to do while drinking with friends), watch the utterly terrible Baoh or Psychic Wars.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2007-04-12, 21:54   Link #13
7Th
Mixtape

From my 10 favorite anime films 8 aren't by Ghibli so I think I'll be helpful:

Jin Roh: Amazing piece of directing brilliance and realistic animation. Pretty much the best project Mamoru Oshii has even been involved in. An alternative hard sci-fi retelling of "The Red Riding-Hood". Trailer - http://youtube.com/watch?v=8oui3kAkUqE

Ghost in the Shell: The first Oshii adaptation of Shirow's cyber-punk manga. It is on a whole different level when compared to the TV series in every single sense. With one of the better OSTs in anime you'll ever hear, incredible animation by Toshiyuki Inoue and one captivating atmosphere it remains a must watch for everyone interested in cinematography. Trailer - http://youtube.com/watch?v=0dnEQVLED44

Millennium Actress: Charismatic and endearing, the Kon film to watch. The brilliance behind the melancholic script is simply astounding and you can't help but love the movie from beginning to end. Trailer - http://youtube.com/watch?v=vpGrD5wUzKE

Memories: One of the most important omnibus productions in the history of anime, the beginning of the legendary Studio 4C.

Digimon - Our WarGame: Don't mind the title, it's extremely stand alone. One of the most stylish and charming cinematographic films ever made, this is what made me realize how a great director Mamoru Hosoda really is. Video - http://youtube.com/watch?v=u5sDyAJDx_4

Dead Leaves: The masterpiece of animated extreme action! 60 minutes of pure visual adrenaline unleash one of the most imaginative and crazily designed universes created in Japan. Imaishi is my hero. Trailer - http://youtube.com/watch?v=TCuieF9Uzgc

Mind Game: Maasaki Yuasa went to a whole other level in animation. Just watch the trailer to see what I am talking about: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qcl2OOSGstU
Old 2007-04-12, 22:40   Link #14
retardation
phantom loser

what's the 8th?
Old 2007-04-12, 23:11   Link #15
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by retardation View Post
what's the 8th?
LOL, it escaped me. It's Shin-Chan's Adult Empire, also by Maasaki Yuasa.
Old 2007-04-13, 00:04   Link #16
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

You should try Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (The girl who leap throught time) that's coming out this month(apr 20th).

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26431