AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-04-12, 18:54   Link #1
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Windows install error

I am getting a strange error after I format a HDD with the NTFS file system...(or any other format for that matter) The setup formats the HDD but after the formatting windows proceeds to say......

"Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.

You must select a different partition for windows XP, To continue, Press ENTER"

The error stated is the exact error Windows Setup displays...Previously with another HDD it gave the same error...so regrettably I got another HDD taking the the "Setup wa unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged." into consideration. This is a brand new HDD so I highly doubt something is wrong with it.

Things I have tried so far..

*Putting HDD in another PC and formatting it using partition magic, it formatted perfectly...with NTFS
*Scanning the HDD to see if there are any bad sectors, none found.

That is about it, I did some other stuff but I do not think it is important.

So please help me out if you can.
Old 2007-04-12, 19:17   Link #2
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Try flashing the motherboard bios to a more recent version. Maybe there's something wrong with the controller and data gets corrupted or something. Assuming that the Windows CD is legitimate and undamaged. Also try another (IDE or SATA depending on the disk) cable.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 19:47   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Before flashing the motherboard, I'd ensure that everything is plugged in snuggly. If you're using PATA drives, make sure that the master/slave jumper settings are correct (doesn't matter with most newer hardware, it seems, but you never know). Make sure the CD drive is also firmly plugged in.

Since you had this problem before, let's isolate the issue. We now know that it isn't the hard drives. Are you using the same motherboard? Are you using the same Windows installer disc? Are you using the same SATA (or PATA) cable to connect the hard drive? If you can, swap any one of these out at a time and see if it makes a difference.
Old 2007-04-12, 19:59   Link #4
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
No I bought a new motherboard >>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813185080

And I did replace all the cables that also with newer ones (although the ones that came with the board are new). And still no dice...And I tried a number of different combinations of the cables (switching from Primary to secondary IDE) and I still got the error. The windows Disc is Legitimate also.
Old 2007-04-12, 23:17   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Legit it not, it seems like there's a problem with the disc. That, or something's wrong with your CD drive. Got another copy lying around, or a spare optical drive to work with?
Old 2007-04-13, 01:34   Link #6
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I am not sure, but afaik reformating the drive before Windows is installed, is not a standard requirement (except for the strange Backup disks of certain hardware vendors). So does Windows install without reformat? (I mean, afaik the partition is preformated with partition magic, so it should not be necessary to do another redundant reformat... unless of course, the installer thinks the disk is unformated, even if it has a validly formated partition - in that case the windows-installer/CD/CD-drive is the failure)
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 03:16   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I hate to say this but sometimes two pieces of hardware are *just* enough out of tolerance with each other that they work fine in one setup and fail in another. Have you tried a different hard drive? (hopefully you have a spare laying around?) Since its a new motherboard... you should see if it works properly with *some* hard drive. I have had them arrive out of the box partially non-functional (LAN port dead, one IDE channel poofed, etc).

The newer Windows installers will ask you which partition/disk to use and if you want to create/reformat partitions or not.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 05:40   Link #8
Tiberium Wolf

You said you used the new cables. Just in case... maybe the new cables are defective. Try the old ones if you can. Well you never know. Hardware problems always solve by testing new ones along with old ones if possible. SInce you know the old material is working properly.