AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-13, 21:00   Link #1001
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
You don't need to tell me twice as the harmless little anime production studio is the view I've held all along (don't know what went on last night with all that nonsense I posted) Try telling that to the bloggers though. Have you, have you ever been on an anime blog Billy. In order to enjoy anime blogs to the fullest it is usually best to discard ones sense of logic and judgement and then go in and read about the series. To date the only coherent blog post I've seen of Lucky Star has to be on Hop Step Jump (Though I frequently question Jeff's taste in a lot of the things he posts about). Skane posted it a little while back. On the others it's either stomping it into the ground or worshipping it because it reminds them of Haruhi or they are loyal to Kyoto Animation. Jeff seems to hold the only rationalized opinion on the series.
Ahh, good. I assumed most people these days have forgotten that a series should only be criticised in and of itself, so I apologise for being wrong. But as I've suggested before, perhaps you shouldn't be hanging around these audiences if the general discussion topic frustrates you so much?

Skane/Crow: Surely there has to be another series with such a scene? Not that I disagree it's likely a book 7 cameo (having read it myself), but...
Old 2007-04-13, 22:09   Link #1002
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The rest seemed more on track though I've not had a chance to really listen carefully (trying to get something else finished I said I'd do for someone).
"wait a tick" actually works pretty well with the flavor and flow of "chotto matte"
"moe" vs "turn-on" ....... O.o maybe "super-cute"? or "cuddly"? .... its hard to describe moe in "five words or less" to fit into the conversational flow.
In the case of "wait a tick", like "curses", while technically correct, sound a bit off considering the tone of the rest of the translation. I'm not complaining, really, just expressing my amusement that it's not the first time they've appeared in an a.f.k. sub. Seems almost like a trademark.

I actually think that translating "moe" as "turn-on" (or some variation thereof) was an excellent hit in terms of an accurate translation. It just frequently has the added connotation of being directly sexual that "moe" doesn't, so it can change the tone of the scene.

I can't really fault any weird translations. There are so many things that just CAN'T be translated perfectly, and juggling multiple languages can put one's head into a linguistic pretzel! That's why I often don't notice, or occasionally prefer, translations that are closer to the Japanese but less natural in English, since what I'm hearing and what I'm reading aren't as different and I'm not constantly distracted by comparing and retranslating in my head.

That's really why I admire a.f.k.'s translations. It's quite a feat to be able to consistently translate accurately and naturally at the same time. I think that's also why I am perturbed when the translation is wrong in an a.f.k. sub: Because they do so much else so well, it really stands out when a mistake or an awkward moment slips in, much how a few scratches are expected on crummy Yugo, but a tiny scratch on a Ferrari is a tragedy.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 23:00   Link #1003
CrowKenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai the Dreamer View Post
Skane/Crow: Surely there has to be another series with such a scene? Not that I disagree it's likely a book 7 cameo (having read it myself), but...
Unless they're throwing a Doctor Who reference out of left field in there, I can't be sure what that implies. <shrugs shoulders>

...and celcius' post was #1000 for this thread.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 23:01   Link #1004
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukansa monkey View Post
I was jsut wondering about the locker business... and I have another "reference" question for someone with more cultural knowledge than I have. At 13:34, what does the still frame of the pagodas mean? Or perhaps, since it seems to represent Kagami explaining Konata's visit... why is a pagoda used there?
Ah... that one I can answer I think.... my interpretation for that cut to a Shinto Temple was that she had to appeal to the Shinto kami (gods) about Konata or that perhaps she was going to need to pray to them after the thoughts she had about Konata... or even that only the gods can figure Konata out.

Resorting to a temple in regard to Konata .. in a nutshell. The other similar cut scenes are also implicitly related to their situations though the connections are pretty absurd. They're almost a case of : "lets put this silliness in context with the big picture " kind of like those interesting noises that go with "Miu face down again" in Ichigo Masimaru - absurdity.

@Kyuusei: excellent metaphor for fansubs there.... thats one reason I cut SF so much slack as its their first time and they readily admit the tools are new to them. They need to figure out why the video quality dropped though or go back to releasing the subs with separate subtitle files. I understand that hardcoding subtitles without blasting the video quality can be tricky.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-13 at 23:50.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 23:15   Link #1005
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I'm another femaile watching highly amusing 20x better than azumanga everything better down to the music.

The dance is adorable and so are the words ^-^
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 00:21   Link #1006
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

An endless loop of Konata struggling with her choco-cone. 119 frames, 43 of which is unique (the rest are blank frames), and 20fps. The former is not AnimeSuki-friendly, while the latter is.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-14, 00:23   Link #1007
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Have you seen the mirrored-slowed versions of the OP supposedly being used to teach those dance moves? I suppose it is a sign of affection that people are doing that, but the effect is like watching the cheerleaders from the "Smells Like teen Spirit" music video having a party to summon a Great Old One.

"These are moe girls. These are moe girls who've seen the Yellow Sign. Any questions?"

So far I'm really liking Kona-chan. It took me a couple of viewings to see just how many double-entendres she was able to sneak into the conversation about eating the various foods.
Old 2007-04-14, 00:26   Link #1008
Skane
Anime Snark

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
Have you seen the mirrored-slowed versions of the OP supposedly being used to teach those dance moves? I suppose it is a sign of affection that people are doing that, but the effect is like watching the cheerleaders from the "Smells Like teen Spirit" music video having a party to summon a Great Old One.

"These are moe girls. These are moe girls who've seen the Yellow Sign. Any questions?"

So far I'm really liking Kona-chan. It took me a couple of viewings to see just how many double-entendres she was able to sneak into the conversation about eating the various foods.
I linked to it on page 29.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-14, 00:28   Link #1009
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'm pretty sure the only character is Yuki and she has Haruhi, Mikuru and Ryoko as strikers. Mikuru and Haruhi are borderline useless as Mikuru doesn't do anything and Haruhi does this weird arcing flying kick that rarely hits and does a sliver of damage if it somehow connects, but Ryoko stunlocks the enemy with a knife for an obscenely long time and does respectable damage. Yuki is kind of like a high tier Guilty Gear character in that she has an instant kill move, good speed, and good juggling potential, but weak attack and defence. Overall surprisingly balanced. Make a good Fire Emblem scene out of it if you can find some sprites and I might award you some rep. Guile sprites are a dime a dozen too.

On another subject I'm not entirely clear on what Grieverr wants to happen. Are you saing you want somebody to post a picture of Haruhi standing behind Konata with no life bar to represent her prescence in the battle? I really don't understand what you are getting at.
Actually, I believe Yuki also has Itsuki, Tsuruya, and Churuya as strikers. Itsuki holds the lighting board as a counter. If Haruhi and Mikuru are on the screen close to each other at the same time, Mikuru will perform Mikuru Beam, which increases in power if Itsuki is on screen too. Tsuruya just pushes your opponent around slowly. Churuya is very amusing though; when she comes in contact with the opponent, she freezes them in place by constantly asking if they have any smoked cheese. ^_^

Yes, I was planning to make an FE combat scene using them, but I need sprites. Actually, FE7 Nino's promoted battle sprite can look sorta like Yuki if I just alter the hair...

Speaking of which, Lucky☆Star needs more video game references to keep me amused. ^_^
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 00:41   Link #1010
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Speaking of which, Lucky☆Star needs more video game references to keep me amused. ^_^
Same here!

As a matter of fact, I feel that this could actually be a reference to the very first Final Fantasy game.

Then again, it could be another failed guess on my behalf. (FF1 was not online after all )
Old 2007-04-14, 00:56   Link #1011
CrowKenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Same here!

As a matter of fact, I feel that this could actually be a reference to the very first Final Fantasy game.

Then again, it could be another failed guess on my behalf. (FF1 was not online after all )
I believe, my friend, that you are right on target!

After all, they were known as the "Light Warriors" to start with, right?

shameless plug: 8-Bit Theater.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 01:07   Link #1012
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

Quote:
Same here!

No, I thought that's just her playing an MMORPG game... It would make sense since she was talking about a friend who she hardly see because he went off training and the fact they make a comment about how he hides both virtual and real world...
Old 2007-04-14, 01:17   Link #1013
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Just a few more Akira avatars before I start in on making some Konata and Miyuki ones.

...actually, I only did this so I could make a unique Akira one that would be confused with the ones picked by WanderingKnight and FatPianoBoy.
I'd be using the first or second one, except for that purpose, which forces me to use the third (since it's most similar).

Sadly, I couldn't get that last one to have a still frame with her facing forward without either making the movement choppy or exceeting the AS limits. Ah, well! Annoying, constant movement it is.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 01:21   Link #1014
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tsukuyomi View Post
No, I thought that's just her playing an MMORPG game... It would make sense since she was talking about a friend who she hardly see because he went off training and the fact they make a comment about how he hides both virtual and real world...
Well, she is obviously playing online. But the scenario she is describing is the complete plot of Final Fantasy 1; Wich is why I believe the reference is still there.

There's also the possibility that Lucky Star is mixing the reference with something else (online gaming).

But who knows, we may have to wait a bit more to see if Konata gives more clues as to what she is actually playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
After all, they were known as the "Light Warriors" to start with, right?
It's amazing how much I still remember about this game.
Old 2007-04-14, 01:22   Link #1015
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
...actually, I only did this so I could make a unique Akira one that would be confused with the ones picked by WanderingKnight and FatPianoBoy.
AH! Another me has appeared! Wait, that makes three of me already!!

*rolls and dies*

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 01:30   Link #1016
~Tsukuyomi

Quote:
Well, she is obviously playing online. But the scenario she is describing is the complete plot of Final Fantasy 1; Wich is why I believe the reference is still there.
Final Fantasy 6... They search for Crystals that somehow grant them job abilities...
Old 2007-04-14, 01:31   Link #1017
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Final Fantasy 6... They search for Crystals that somehow grant them job abilities...
Umm, no, they actually searched for magic beasts (or espers in the English translation).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 01:43   Link #1018
~Tsukuyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Umm, no, they actually searched for magic beasts (or espers in the English translation).
Blah, number confusion... Blah, now what number was the one where you start as a guy riding a chocobo and a random meteor fell from the sky...
Old 2007-04-14, 01:46   Link #1019
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tsukuyomi View Post
Blah, number confusion... Blah, now what number was the one where you start as a guy riding a chocobo and a random meteor fell from the sky...
That was 5, but it doesn't fit either with Konata's description. It was the complete opposite in that game. (preventing the cristals from losing their light)
Old 2007-04-14, 01:56   Link #1020
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post

I was wondering if anyone else noticed Kona's absolutely feeeelthy mind

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, kyoto animation, moe, otaku, school life, seinen