AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-04-13, 22:06   Link #1
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

New soundcard... everything's out of sync!

I just got a 5.1 sound-card today, and after installing it I noticed EVERYTHING is severely off-sync. Okay, not severely... but by a decent amount. What is causing this? How do I fix it?
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-13, 22:16   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Got the proper drivers installed? Did you have on-board sound before this new soundcard? Ensure that it's disabled. If you had a different soundcard before, make sure that its drivers are fully uninstalled, too.

I can think of a few other possibilities, but I'd think these are the most prominent.
Old 2007-04-13, 22:54   Link #3
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

I removed the soundcard I had prior (Santa Cruz) and uninstalled the driver that was listed in the add/remove programs list. When I installed the new soundcard (in the same PCI slot as the other) windows automatically installed drivers. I then inserted the disc that came with the card and installed those drivers.

I'm not sure if some Santa Cruz drivers are still on here, or whether the PCI slot is faulty... or even if having windows install drivers automatically was a bad thing.

MP3's work fine. Youtube videos are all out of sync. DVDs are fine, but then stutter frequently and go in and out of sync. Fansubs seems slightly off sync.

It's like the video stutters in everything, the audio repeats itself in a small 1ms timeframe 3 times, and then it stalls afterwards.

Here's the card.
http://www.dynexproducts.com/p-190-d...ound-card.aspx

I toyed with the control settings... and selected Digital Output AC3 and PCM... but I removed that now, and the audio is still out of sync, but slightly less so. What's going on?
Old 2007-04-13, 23:06   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

What kind of motherboard are you using?
Old 2007-04-14, 00:06   Link #5
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
I would agree with Ledgem's suggestions.

But, are you saying certain files play fine? Care to clarify?
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 05:18   Link #6
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I think Ledgem said the most important points on the topic.
But I have some additional stuff you could check too.

Did you somehow modify your PCI frequency (sometimes people forget that overclocking the FSB often results in an overclocked PCI-bus). Do you have other cards in your PC that could cause noise (or maybe its the card itself). You can also try to move it as close to the northbridge (often referred to as motherboard chipset) as possible (assuming it is the first card-device on the bus then - after the graphics card of course). Which takes me to the next question... does it use a shared IRQ and if yes, with which other hardware (I would not be surprised if it is something like a USB host controller or a NIC).

Hm, once again I struggle with the problem of using a german version of windows... Well anyway I know you can easily get an overview, of what is using which interrupts on your PC (I just can't explain how ):

In my example here, you can see, that my sound card (the two NVIDIA nForce Audio devices) share the same IRQ with USB controllers. Now since I do not have any USB device that causes much traffic on the PCI bus I usually have no problem with this setting. So depending on your settings, you need to estimate if the IRQ sharing causes too much competition/rivalry with the other component or not. If the soundcard does not use shared IRQs, well then ignore that last paragraph.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 15:59   Link #7
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

It's listed as...

(PCI) 3 - Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM
(PCI) 3 - 3Com Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller
Old 2007-04-14, 16:27   Link #8
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Hm, NIC and soundcard.... not sure but could be problematic (try to choose a different slot for the soundcard, if you are lucky the IRQ will be assigned different then). I mean it could somehow explain the asynced youtube stuff (but the rest... well, you can try, it cannot hurt to use a different PCI slot for it)
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote