AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > sola

Notices

Old 2007-04-15, 08:01   Link #341
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I need to go back and watch ep1 again, but I have to say the OP sequence grabbed me the most out of all the April shows I've watched so far
The opening wasn't shown in the first episode--it was a short introduction, instead of making it lack an opening (like most first episodes in series) they decided to throw in a small vocal piece. But the real opening is shown in episode 2. I even noticed it during the sponsor advertising in ep 1, since we usually get a small piece of the opening song in the background, and it was completely different from the track that sounded while Yurito biked around. Well, now that subs are out everyone should know this already anyways.

Quote:
300+mb file for this episode. I'm going to have to clear some space if they're all like this.
Whoa, what!?

Maybe they've done it so that it doesn't waste so much space if you burn the whole series on a DVD...

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 08:19   Link #342
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Kaioshin's criticisms and opinions are welcome... if he bothers to watch the show. That's it, that's all I ask. Everyone has the right to form an opinion based on an objective viewing of the show, and based on it's ability to absorb its audience with atmosphere and connect viewers with its characters. If it can't do this after whatever number of 25 minute episodes, then people have a right to criticize it for falling short. If it succeeds in doing this, then it deserves acclaim and respect for doing so. But, the least it deserves is a chance to do this. And, the least its fans deserve (and I'm not one yet, btw) is that you take the time to do what every single one of them did (ie, watch the show in its entirety) before trying to push your opinion on an equal footing as theirs. I don't think that's really a hard thing to do, is it?
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 09:18   Link #343
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Finally watched the Lunar .avi, and I must say something; Lunar screwed up.
Take a look at the Episode 3 preview around 23:49, and you'll see what I mean. Ah well, guess I'll have to go onto their IRC board and inform them of the mistake.

Anyway, Episode 2 seems to go at a relaxed pace after the first few minutes of action at the beginning, and spends most of its time on character development. Most of what I would wish to say here is already said, though, so I'll not be a broken record.

Some observations:

1) Matsuri refers to herself as "ore".

Yes, one step higher on "Uguu~, boku Ayu". To quote Jason Miao of AoMM, "I don’t care anymore. Just shoot me. No way there’s a penis on this. None. I won’t accept it."

2) Aono sure is an attention whore. And she's the onee-chan here? She must have some serious issues.

3) I'm surprised Matsuri hasn't been taken in by the police for vandalism of public property yet.

4) The Takeshi-Mayuko duo sure is strange. Miss Goth-Loli is reduced to sleeping in a box, yet they apparently have the resources to dine at a fairly high-class restaurant? I thought the onigiri of the first episode meant they were on a tight budget here.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 09:24   Link #344
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
1) Matsuri refers to herself as "ore".
!?!?!?!?

Aren't you talking about the noun お礼 (orei, pronounced ore with long e), which is an expression of gratitude? If not, could you point out where did you hear her say that? I just went to a single scene and she refers to herself as 私...

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 09:29   Link #345
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
!?!?!?!?

Aren't you talking about the noun お礼 (orei, pronounced ore with long e), which is an expression of gratitude? If not, could you point out where did you hear her say that? I just went to a single scene and she refers to herself as 私...
......Oh.

Okay, it's probably my fault, but just in case, I'll look at it again....

EDIT: Yup, my mistake. Sorry.
Old 2007-04-15, 09:30   Link #346
kct
Walk dat crank yo

Send a message via MSN to kct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
More than screwed up, apparently sounds like they shot themselves on their own foot. 4chan made a comparison between the encodes.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 09:35   Link #347
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post
More than screwed up, apparently sounds like they shot themselves on their own foot. 4chan made a comparison between the encodes.
Link to that?
Old 2007-04-15, 09:39   Link #348
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Take a look at the Episode 3 preview around 23:49, and you'll see what I mean.
I never watch previews because I don't like spoilers. For what it's worth, I didn't notice any problems with the actual episode.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 10:22   Link #349
Shiori-chan

Mmm already love this anime, the story has alot of potential and I like Matsuri already, she is a monster, still she looks very cute and even wants to cook
also loved the scene like: can I do something for you... eeuhm yeah... ecchi
Old 2007-04-15, 10:45   Link #350
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Ok, watched ep2 (Thank you, Lunar ) - i am sold. An ep full of character interactions - just what i wanted

Matsuri is as cute as they come. So...a monster? Seems perfectly harmless... that hunter seems like the monster when pitted against Matsuri

I don't think i like Aono much - she throws a fit because her brother didn't come to visit for 2 days? Cut the kid some slack... requesting for an everyday visit is a bit much imo...

Interesting thing - why did the hunter lie to the loli and say that there were no "monsters" in the church, and only some brat ?

Despite being a few centuries old Matsuri isn't exactly adept in the kitchen, isn't she ? ... well - i guess she hasn't had much of a chance to play a housewife, especially in a modernly equipped home...

As far as i can tell she is being hunted simply because she is "different".

The cutest and the saddest line of the ep - "I didn't intend to come in. But... ... this... is too cheap...".

The VA fits perfectly. I loved how her "bye bye" sounded >.<

... evil crackshot theory - we can assume that the rozen loli must avoid daylight as well, yes? Perhaps it is some sort of a disease (doesn't need to be a realistic one) ... perhaps Aono suffers from the same thing as the rozen loli? ...Perhaps the reason why the hunter is after Matsuri is because the disease can be cured by using Matsuri in one way or another? (Possibly with lethal outcome for Matsuri herself). ...See what i am getting at?

...Yes, i still believe we are heading for a tragic end.
This has become one of my most anticipated shows of the season. I love it thus far.
Old 2007-04-15, 10:46   Link #351
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Quote:
...Aono is not as emotionless as you think.
I think this is 100% true. Perhaps it's the way Nakahara Mai is voicing her, but I don't get a feeling of no-emotion. I get a feeling of strong suppressed emotion.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 11:05   Link #352
kct
Walk dat crank yo

That is what I'm trying to say! Look at how she throw the doll they gave her.

By the way, Lunar released their .mkv version of episode 2...and as I went in 4chan, 'Hahaha oh wow'.
Old 2007-04-15, 11:07   Link #353
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Bah, I'm still getting the feeling that someone has mistakenly switched the roles of Nakahara and Noto by mistake in the beginning. But then again, I haven't heard Noto in a Matsuri kinda role since... well, lemme think here... since Narue no Sekai I guess? And man, that's kinda old, so I'm really not used to her as Matsuri.

And Mana and Yorito are childhood friends? Did I miss something here? From the looks of it, their respective siblings are hospitalized in the same place and thats why they're close chums. I don't think it's ever mentioned that they've known each other since they were children, and I usually zero in on these things since osana-najimi is my biggest moe element.

Not like she needs it either for me supporting her and Yorito, however far fetched that might be. While I just adore Matsuri's character design (long hair + zettai ryouiki, damn Tohsaka getting me into that), I just feel that she and Yorito mesh well together since they seem like two peas in a pod. I dunno, just my feeling.

As for the Lunar version, I don't see what's wrong either. Not that I'm a big videophile; as long as its not youtube quality I really could care less so I might have missed on things.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 11:20   Link #354
kct
Walk dat crank yo

Well the thing is that the .avi version of their episode 2 goes to about 341MB (extremely huge for a .avi), while the .mkv version of the same episode spans 232MB.
Old 2007-04-15, 11:58   Link #355
ShadowVlican

Quote:
Quote:
That is what I'm trying to say! Look at how she throw the doll they gave her.

By the way, Lunar released their .mkv version of episode 2...and as I went in 4chan, 'Hahaha oh wow'.
damn i can't find it.... i bet it got bumped off the board

what was it about anyways
ShadowVlican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 12:11   Link #356
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I think this is 100% true. Perhaps it's the way Nakahara Mai is voicing her, but I don't get a feeling of no-emotion. I get a feeling of strong suppressed emotion.
Agreed. That much is certain as we saw in episode 1 when Aono sternly asked Yorito not to open those blinds.
Old 2007-04-15, 12:19   Link #357
fiberOptiC
LunarAnime video wizard

If you all are referring to the warning message that pops up I can answer to that. 1, we at lunar and I doubt most of the groups out there actually do the capture of the video. The person that captures the raw we use apparently messed up and got some error message. Now, if that's our fault... I'd like an explanation of that. I decided instead of butchering the video trying to remove it, or splicing that part in from a different raw, we would translate the error message for you. I personally thought it was pretty funny. Is that shooting myself in the foot? As for the size, I decided to up the filesize to get as much bitrate as I could. There are lots of dark scenes and the more bitrate I can give it will prevent blocking. As far as the mkv being smaller, its encoded in x264, you don't need as big of a file to get as good or better quality. Now, who ever it was that decided to come to our board and spam it up with "are you retarded" posts, please go shoot yourself in the foot.
fiberOptiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 12:31   Link #358
kct
Walk dat crank yo

Well, well, the case is settled in the end, as always (still downloading the .avi to maintain consistency).

And nah, I didn't go on elsewhere.
Old 2007-04-15, 12:45   Link #359
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Okay well, I've watched episode one and here's what I think:

Characters:

Yorito: Not voiced by either Sugita Tomokazu or Souchiro Hoshi, but still fairly boring overall. He's just too dry right now.

Mana: "I will step on your face if you take pictures nowhere near my skirt and I will slap you on the head if you don't call me Onee-Chan". Seem's pleasant and I love the abusive woman stuff.

Koyuri: Your loli character who refers to hereself in the third person and is overly polite and cutesy. Even with my preference for the loli characters, I still have to say she's just kind of average.

Aono AKA Ayanami Rei: Yeah we can probably do without this girl right now if she's going to be your typical quite girl, they could kill her off and I wouldn't mind really. Yikes, I've seen lots of sick girl characters with far more personality than this.

Matsuri: Crazy Mamiko Noto girl who kicks vending machines and live amon the creatures of the night. I felt she was alright.

Simon Belmont: I don't think he is actually trying to kill Matsuri, but capture her through force. The creepy goth loli w/ dead bunny seemed to want to meet with her. Perhaps they are of the same kin.

Creepy Goth Loli w/ Dead Bunny: 5 seconds is all we got of her so I'm not even going to attempt to guess at her character.

Overall Characters: Even for a first episode they are kind of dry and dull, but there is lots of potential for improvement I can see. They probably could have done a bit more with them even this early on though.

Overall Music: I liked it. Reminds me of FF VIII's soft soundtrack and it seems fitting.

Overall Animation: Consistent and I like the character design. Above Average, but nothing spectacular.

Overall Plot:
Forgive me, but I think I'd like to try and solve the puzzle now:

I'm all, but certain that the Sky represents open space and being set free from one's limits and that Mamiko Noto's character is going to go out into the bright sky at the end after being persecuted too much, disappear for good and the camera will pan up to the sky and it will symbolize her being set free from her cursed title, and the hero will reflect on it.

Before this though the vending machine and the soda (Sola [Sol=Sun, desires to see], Sora [Sora=Sky, desires to see], [Soda=Representing her imprisonment in the dark]) trapped inside. Too date she has only been able to get the Soda out in the presence of Yorita, possibly symbolizing he is the Key to releasing her from her curse (We see the night tribe that she's probably part of early on in a short clip). After the Key has done his job (Making her fall in love with him and desire to see a Sunrise with him and be a part of his world), she will probably be able to get the Soda on her own, then she will be ready to set herself free by going out into the day sky and disappearing for good.

Well Pat, am I right? Probably not exactly right yet as their are many missing letters (Characters, Plot elements etc), but like Wheel of Fortune I can always fine tune my answer by watching to reveal letters and then try again. I have this feeling I'm probably only off by a vowel (Key element, that will tie the solution together) or three consants (Small details).

I would give the episode a cool 7/10 right now.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 12:50   Link #360
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Er, she's not trying to get soda - Shiruko is a sweet red bean soup of some kind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiruko). And it's possible that sola is a romanization equivalent of sora (which seems much more likely as the series is all about the sky >.>).

So your wordplay doesn't work at all
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural