AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-09, 18:13   Link #1
Manifold

Anime based Novels (not manga)

In an attempt not to hijack someone else's thread..

Have any professional books been published based on anime stories (or vice versa)? I'm not talking manga here, I'm talking lots and lots of dense text. Like a book.

EDIT: Made question clearer.

Last edited by Manifold; 2007-04-12 at 03:37.
Old 2007-04-10, 08:36   Link #2
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
A lot of series have books based on them - which series is it you're looking for?
Old 2007-04-10, 10:00   Link #3
White Manju Bun
God of Calamity
*Author

Juuni Kokki, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Black Blood Brothers are a few...Ghost Hunt is from a novel (done also by the author of Junni Kokki) but the anime is based on the manga but its very close ^^
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
Old 2007-04-10, 11:13   Link #4
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Adding to what White Manju Bun said, Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars are also based on novels. Tokyopop has translated various novels (including juuni kokki and CoTS), so you might want to check their site if you want to read them as well

Zero no Tsukaima, Shakugan no Shana and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yutsi are also based on novels. You can find some of the novel chapters translated at Baka Tsuki.
Old 2007-04-10, 23:22   Link #5
4Tran

This sort of depends on if you're looking for books to read (in English) which happened to be the original works for anime, or if you're looking for anime based on books.

Most of the books which anime are based off of are available only in Japanese, with a select few that are published in North America. In addition to some of those already listed, you might want to check out Kino no Tabi, Vampire Hunter D, Full Metal Panic!, and the like.

A seperate category of foreign books turned into anime also exists: the World Masterpiece Theater series included classics like Heidi, Anne of Green Gables, A Dog of Flanders, Tom Sawyer, and the like. There are also newer shows based on Agatha Christie, The Count of Monte Cristo, Shakespeare, Starship Troopers, and so on.

On the other hand, if you're looking for shows based off of books, then most of the above titles will qualify, as well as Legend of Galactic Heroes, Maria-sama ga Miteru, and Trinity Blood. If you're looking for recommendations, then I'll put in a word for Twelve Kingdoms, which has one of the best designed fantasy worlds I've encountered, and my favorite anime show. Ghost Hunt, also written by Ono Fuyumi, is another excellent show - it's one of the creepiest anime ever made.
Old 2007-04-12, 02:21   Link #6
avmoghe

I guess I'm the only one confused here - I think the OP may be asking for novels *based* on anime - not anime based on novels.

Quote:
Have any professional books been published based on anime stories?
Note the wording - professional books *based* on anime. Crest of the Stars, 12 Kingdoms, Galactic Heroes are all anime based on novels IIRC.

About the only example I can think of would be the Gundam novels - some of which are a retelling of the anime strictly based on the authors preferences (as opposed to the anime being constrained by considerations such as budget, ratings, etc). Not too sure about it though...
Old 2007-04-12, 03:37   Link #7
Manifold

All in the wording.. I guess I meant both ways round.

The Crest of the Stars novels confuse me. Are they actually novels, or mangas? Would people ever refer to novels as mangas?
Old 2007-04-12, 07:32   Link #8
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmoghe
About the only example I can think of would be the Gundam novels - some of which are a retelling of the anime strictly based on the authors preferences (as opposed to the anime being constrained by considerations such as budget, ratings, etc). Not too sure about it though...
The Gundam novels are loosely based on the animated versions. They are different enough that it's easier to think of them as separate entities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manifold
The Crest of the Stars novels confuse me. Are they actually novels, or mangas? Would people ever refer to novels as mangas?
The link is to the Crest of the Stars novels. You have to be a little careful since a manga version exists as well. In this case, the Crest novels are the original work, and the manga and anime versions are adaptations. I've also heard that the English translations of the Crest novels are abridged from the original.
Old 2007-04-12, 13:02   Link #9
jedinat
フリーター

I read most of the Twelve Kingdoms novel yesterday. It wasn't bad. The writing level is a bit low and sometimes the wording is slightly strange, but I enjoyed it.
Old 2007-04-12, 13:04   Link #10
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
A lot of shonen series have novel versions, many of which have been translated into English (Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, etc) as well as the .hack series.
Old 2007-04-12, 15:42   Link #11
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I read most of the Twelve Kingdoms novel yesterday. It wasn't bad. The writing level is a bit low and sometimes the wording is slightly strange, but I enjoyed it.
I think that it mostly has to do with the translation from Japanese to English. Like most Asian languages, a single word can have multiple meanings, many of which are lost when translated to another language. It's quite common for even very descriptive works to lose a lot of their flavor under such circumstances. If you get a chance, you should check out Ueda's great post in the Twelve Kingdoms novel thread in the Manga forum.
Old 2007-04-15, 10:03   Link #12
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Anime from novels seem to normally come from 'Light Novels' aimed at young boys (less than 200 pages, short sentences). But I will mention Scrapped Princess because the anime is very good.
Old 2007-04-15, 12:52   Link #13
Manifold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
Anime from novels seem to normally come from 'Light Novels' aimed at young boys (less than 200 pages, short sentences). But I will mention Scrapped Princess because the anime is very good.
So which are the exceptions to this 'light novel' rule?
Old 2007-04-15, 20:30   Link #14
Saber Cherry
Marionette

12 Kingdoms and Ghost Hunt (which is not translated) are full-length books. I'm unaware of any others.

4Tran said "I've also heard that the English translations of the Crest novels are abridged from the original." ...so, maybe they were originally full-length as well, but I think the English versions are "Young Adult".

If you want to see how a Light Novel reads, go here: http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...ume1_Full_Text
Old 2007-04-16, 01:29   Link #15
Manifold

I just found out that the Legend of the Condor Heroes is based on some very famous novels by a chinese author called Jinyong. I used to watch a chinese martial arts drama based on one of his books called Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils, I just never made the connection..

Last edited by Manifold; 2007-04-16 at 01:29. Reason: Typo
Old 2007-04-16, 03:22   Link #16
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manifold View Post
In an attempt not to hijack someone else's thread..

Have any professional books been published based on anime stories (or vice versa)? I'm not talking manga here, I'm talking lots and lots of dense text. Like a book.

EDIT: Made question clearer.
Heroic Legend of Arslan(2 series, 7+4 volumes, ongoing), high fantasy in mythic Persia by the Legend of Galactic Heroes author Yoshiki Tanaka. The OVA adaptation was incomplete and somewhat lacking, though.

Last edited by glyph; 2007-04-16 at 03:42.
Old 2007-04-16, 12:37   Link #17
Level E
みwiki

Light Novels turned anime :

There's a lot... I'll list the ones I know turned into an anime. Sorry, I don't know all their English titles - I'll mark the ones I'm not sure with a '*':

Slayers
BoogiePop... series ( BoogiePop Phantom)
Vampire Hunter D
星界の紋章 ・ 戦旗 Seikai no Monsho / Senki (Crest/Banner of the Stars) - Not a Light Novel.
悪霊が... Akuryou ga... series (Ghost Hunt)
(新)ロードス島... ・ 魔法戦士ルウイ Lodoss Wars and its spin off Rui
涼宮ハルヒの... Suzumiya Haruhi no... series (Anime: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu)
Full Metal Panic!
魔術士オーフェン Majutsushi Orphan
灼眼のシャナ (Shakugan no Shana)
ゼロの使い魔 (Zero's Familiar)*
トリニティ・ブラッド (Blood Trinity)
いぬかみっ! (InuKami!)*
イリヤの空、UFOの夏 (Iria's Sky, UFO's Summer)*
半分の月がのぼる空 (When the half moon climbs the sky)*
しにがみのバラッド (Shinigami Ballad)*
R.O.D READ OR DIE

etc

Novels based on anime...
There's actually quite a few. If the series is popular enough then the publisher may recruit a third party to make a novel (or sometimes the writer himself wants to).

Gundam, Bleach, Mamotte Shogogetten, Sprial, Karin, etc all have their own subset novels... some written before their anime, some after. Depends on the book and writer.

There's also another subset Games -> Manga (usually an anthology / 4koma) -> Anime -> Novels or the rarer Games -> Novel -> Anime/Manga.

FATE: Zero (prequel to FATE:Stay/Night) fits the prior.
Is Polyphonica is an example fits the latter.
Closed Thread