AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-03, 16:00   Link #221
lommm
l'homme de lommm
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 34 3 118 15
anyone know much about the third movie that comes out this year?

i think it's called Death Note: Another Note and it focuses mostly on L.

just wondering what the source material is.


and do i understand right that the live action movies are not currently set for distrubution in the US?
lommm is offline  
Old 2007-04-04, 02:07   Link #222
Kittie Rose
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Please note that Japan IS a very conformist society, so conformist it actually freaks you out. So unless you don't want to work in those "normal" 9-5 jobs that ensures some sort of financial income in Japan, it's better off for you to keep your hair undyed.
I don't think Japan is any more comformist than here, and is probably less so even. I live in a very conservative country. Just about every set of "Look I've been to Japan!" captures any number of oddballs. You just wouldn't find any where I live, at all.

Quote:
And you do realize the story is set in Japan, where people's NATURAL hair colour is black? (Or darkish brown at best. )
Doesn't matter, Japanese people dye their hair too. Misa is a model, a gothic lolita model. Many of them have bleached blonde hair, singers too. Like Kana who changes her hair every other week, but is generally blonde.

Quote:
You've said it yourself, most mangaka and anime creators draw their characters with colourful hair probably because black hair is boring. But I must emphasize again that this is a LIVE ACTION adaptation.
So? It doesn't just look more interesting in cartoons, it looks more interesting IN GENERAL. If anything, notable hair colours are more interesting in real life because you expect bright colours in comics and cartoons.

Quote:
the audience would prefer to see their characters as "realistic" as possible in order to better suspend their disbelief.
I don't know how much this is true. I think it's one of those things that people believe because it sounds like it must be true, but isn't. In reality there are things even worse than X-men that people accept. Lord of the Rings for instance, heh. And a lot of godawful decisions are made in the name of it. See: Transformers movie.
Kittie Rose is offline  
Old 2007-04-04, 02:28   Link #223
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai1 View Post
Quick question: I have watched death note till ep 24. Is there anything happening in the 2nd live action that could be a spoiler for the anime? I watched the first movie and it is almost the same as the anime apart from slight differences in the storyline.
Yes, there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post
anyone know much about the third movie that comes out this year?

i think it's called Death Note: Another Note and it focuses mostly on L.

just wondering what the source material is.
There is no third movie. There is a separate movie being made based on L's previous cases.

Quote:
and do i understand right that the live action movies are not currently set for distrubution in the US?
No date has been given, but the last press release suggested that Viz has the rights to them.
bayoab is offline  
Old 2007-04-04, 03:34   Link #224
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
I don't think Japan is any more comformist than here, and is probably less so even. I live in a very conservative country. Just about every set of "Look I've been to Japan!" captures any number of oddballs. You just wouldn't find any where I live, at all.
Still doesn't mean the movie characters should have "oddball style" hairdos. (See below. )


Quote:
Doesn't matter, Japanese people dye their hair too. Misa is a model, a gothic lolita model. Many of them have bleached blonde hair, singers too. Like Kana who changes her hair every other week, but is generally blonde.
So? You're talking about singers and the ilk that you see in the entertainment industry, but we're talking about most of the characters in this story, and they are of the "serious by-the-book" cops ilk, no matter how incompetent they are. They are not singers, for god's sake.


Quote:
So? It doesn't just look more interesting in cartoons, it looks more interesting IN GENERAL. If anything, notable hair colours are more interesting in real life because you expect bright colours in comics and cartoons.
Perhaps you should suggest that every live action adaptation of every manga out there, from GTO and Battle Royale to recent titles like Honey & Clover and Nana, should get all their actors to dye their hair colour the way their manga counterparts do.

No disrespect intended, but I believe you might be getting a bit superficial in this aspect. The thing is, hair colour takes back stage to the story, and in no way does it make the characters or the story any less interesting just because they don't "look like" their manga counterparts. Provided the actor can play out the essence of the character's personality, I seriously don't give a damn about their hair colour as long as it doesn't impede my enjoyment of the story.
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline  
Old 2007-04-04, 08:57   Link #225
dragem
amine in the air
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: netherlands
Age: 29
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Yes, there is.


There is no third movie. There is a separate movie being made based on L's previous cases.


No date has been given, but the last press release suggested that Viz has the rights to them.

for what i heard "a Different note" is not a sequal but the store of L and his past.
so not death note 3 but just a spin off. but i still want to see it. i think it's revolved around the los angelos case where naomi help
dragem is offline  
Old 2007-04-04, 13:02   Link #226
Kittie Rose
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Perhaps you should suggest that every live action adaptation of every manga out there, from GTO and Battle Royale to recent titles like Honey & Clover and Nana, should get all their actors to dye their hair colour the way their manga counterparts do.
Why not? People do it for movie roles already in the west. Plus, there is such a thing as a "Wig".

I have no idea why accuracy to the source material is of absolutely no concern to you when it comes to character designs.

I mean, what if they made a live action Bleach movie, and Ichigo had black hair? That would not only be shit character design wise, it would affect the story negatively too.

Quote:
No disrespect intended, but I believe you might be getting a bit superficial in this aspect. The thing is, hair colour takes back stage to the story, and in no way does it make the characters or the story any less interesting just because they don't "look like" their manga counterparts.
But it makes it look visually less interesting. Movies, anime, whatever, are a visual medium. A certain appearance can also help vastly with communicating a character's personality; hair colours in anime are often used to denote a certain archetype of character, for example.
Kittie Rose is offline  
Old 2007-04-04, 15:40   Link #227
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
Why not? People do it for movie roles already in the west. Plus, there is such a thing as a "Wig".
Why do? Just because people in the west do it doesn't mean Asian actors have to do it. Don't apply the same standards everywhere, it doesn't work that way.

Quote:
I have no idea why accuracy to the source material is of absolutely no concern to you when it comes to character designs.
Accuracy no concern to me? Please do not put words into my mouth. You talk about accuracy yet you disregard the fact that you are being unrealistic to expect Asians in real life to look anything like their manga counterparts. Besides, for starters, NOBODY IN REAL LIFE HAS BIG MANGA-LIKE EYES.

Quote:
I mean, what if they made a live action Bleach movie, and Ichigo had black hair? That would not only be shit character design wise, it would affect the story negatively too.
You're cherry-picking. Unless the hair colour's absolutely central to the storyline, then yes, in Ichigo's case, the actor has to dye his hair orange, but otherwise, I stand by the opinion that hair colours are really irrelevant.

Quote:
But it makes it look visually less interesting. Movies, anime, whatever, are a visual medium. A certain appearance can also help vastly with communicating a character's personality; hair colours in anime are often used to denote a certain archetype of character, for example.
Not all the movies in the world sell by looking visually interesting. While you've hit the point that "a certain appearance can also help vastly with communicating a character's personality", I'm afraid you've totally lost the plot by paying too much attention to the hair colours which are insignificant in a LIVE ACTION medium, no matter how symbolic they may be in an ANIMATED medium.



Judging from your arguments, I take it that you live in North America and have been to Asia about once or twice? Please do pardon me if I'm mistaken. No disrespect intended, as an Asian living in Asia, this argument about manga character's hair colours in live action adaptations is really a no-brainer for me. Believe me, almost no one here who've seen both the manga and the movie had any issues with why Light doesn't have brown hair or why Misa's hair is undyed. I honestly don't see what the fuss is all about.

And so, I will leave my arguments as such. If that still does not convince you, then so be it, for your arguments do not convince me either that this is worth going through for ages. I will respond no more.
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline  
Old 2007-04-04, 23:08   Link #228
silvery_anne
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
sorry no offense..I asked a question earlier and seems like no one even bother to answer me... Where did you get Death Note Movie 2? Seems like it was already out sometime last year (I asked this earlier when was it out, and no one didn't bother to answer me)....Did I ask something that's not allowed?

Feel free to ban me if I did.

Thanks
silvery_anne is offline  
Old 2007-04-04, 23:38   Link #229
mist2123
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: M.U
Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvery_anne View Post
sorry no offense..I asked a question earlier and seems like no one even bother to answer me... Where did you get Death Note Movie 2? Seems like it was already out sometime last year (I asked this earlier when was it out, and no one didn't bother to answer me)....Did I ask something that's not allowed?

Feel free to ban me if I did.

Thanks
I wont tell YOu Read the rules
How to find it : TWO WORDS => GOOGLE IT
mist2123 is offline  
Old 2007-04-06, 07:07   Link #230
Kenu
magoi, magoi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I just watched the first movie.

I actually quite enjoyed it. I thought the production values and acting was quite good. Sure there would always be cheesy deaths, but I that didn't detract from what was good movie and excellent introduction to the series.

I'm looking forward to watch the anime from start.
Kenu is offline  
Old 2007-04-07, 15:12   Link #231
katakami
another procrastinator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
Whoooo..... I'd be interested in a movie that focuses more on L's past. Particularly with the latest episode of the anime and all it's obscure hints to L's past. Great! More Matsuyama Ken'ichi. ^_^
katakami is offline  
Old 2007-04-16, 15:57   Link #232
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Firstly:
I much preferred how the second movie resolved things versus how the anime and manga went about the twist. It made out L to be far more of a genius and having a genius outwit a genius instead of one just going stupid suddenly. However, I found the movie pretty bland otherwise.

Secondly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
Death Note Films' U.S. Premieres at Newport Beach Fest
The two Death Note live-action films will have their United States premieres at the Newport Beach Film Festival in southern California. The first Death Note film will screen on Saturday, April 21 at 8:30 p.m. and Tuesday, April 24 at 4:00 p.m. Death Note: The Last Name will screen on Sunday, April 22 at 8:30 p.m. and Wednesday, April 25 at 4:00 p.m.
bayoab is offline  
Old 2007-04-16, 17:05   Link #233
Druix
Kira's Faithful Follower
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
There is no third movie. There is a separate movie being made based on L's previous cases.
Seriously? I'd heard about that on Wikipedia, but you can't really trust Wiki. And, gonna try not to give anything away here, but let's say after the way the second movie ended,I couldn't imagine that they'd be able to pull off a third movie. But I didn't know it was a totally seperate thing. Will it still be Kenichi Matsuyama? Because he rocked as L.

However, I do wish The Last Name had gone differently, in that I think it would have been cool to have three or (if needed) four movies, and cover everything. I'm just sad that Mello will never have a movie appearance. I figure that's why L eats so many chocolate bars in the movies---someone working on the movies was a Mello fan XD I mean, c'mon. L never eats chocolat bars in the series...He's obviously channeling Mello XD
Druix is offline  
Old 2007-04-16, 17:06   Link #234
Druix
Kira's Faithful Follower
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvery_anne View Post
sorry no offense..I asked a question earlier and seems like no one even bother to answer me... Where did you get Death Note Movie 2? Seems like it was already out sometime last year (I asked this earlier when was it out, and no one didn't bother to answer me)....Did I ask something that's not allowed?

Feel free to ban me if I did.

Thanks
Um, I bought both of the movies in a store (well, actually, a Japanese market), so I think you just have to look really hard to find them.
Druix is offline  
Old 2007-04-17, 19:14   Link #235
tetsuo69
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: nyc
if light loses in the anime like in the movie i'm just gonna delete this series -_- the movie had a really bad end
__________________
tetsuo69 is offline  
Old 2007-04-18, 17:05   Link #236
Druix
Kira's Faithful Follower
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 24
I don't know the exact details, but from what I heard, i think it's pretty similar. Actually, for reasons I won't go into right now due to possible spoilers, I may even like the movie better. Let's just hope that the rumors I heard were false.

If the ending of the series DOES suck as bad as the movies, though, I don't know what I'll do. This series is too awesome to "delete" as you put it...but......ah. Wah. ^^'
Druix is offline  
Old 2007-04-18, 17:13   Link #237
avmoghe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
I liked the movie's ending far, far better than the manga ending. Granted it was short due to time constraints, it still felt much better than the atrocious manga ending. They also made Naomi Misora's death a bit better in the movies IMO. - she doesn't just hand over her name to Light.
avmoghe is offline  
Old 2007-04-23, 17:43   Link #238
silence.l
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ontario
Age: 26
ive seen both the movies and they were great<3
silence.l is offline  
Old 2007-04-26, 01:14   Link #239
godraziert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by avmoghe View Post
I liked the movie's ending far, far better than the manga ending. Granted it was short due to time constraints, it still felt much better than the atrocious manga ending. They also made Naomi Misora's death a bit better in the movies IMO. - she doesn't just hand over her name to Light.
I loved the way the battle between L and Light concluded in the movie way more than the manga's original ending as well. It somehow feels more . . . suitable, at least to me.
__________________
godraziert is offline  
Old 2007-05-01, 05:16   Link #240
nishisa
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I really like deathnote ( anime and live action )
and really like kenmatsu as L
nishisa is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.