AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2007-04-13, 13:47   Link #1
jianfish
Looking for something

Is "I want to be with you" equals love?

I am catching Ah my Goddess season 2 currently among others and I realised that all Keichii and Belldandy says is "I want to be with you" or "I like that part of you...".

Does those phrase means "I love you?". It is so fricking ambiguous. Or isit I there is something lost in translation during the fansubs.

It seems to me that not only does it happen in this anime but also a couple others. Where either the male or the female lead tell each other that they want to be with each other. Does that mean they are confessing their love? Isit a Japanese way of confessing?

Why does everyone have no problem confessing their undying love for the protagonist except for the one the protagonist truly likes. Do they like to torture themselves.

Dating an anime girl is hard.
jianfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 04:40   Link #2
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

As a westerner i'm pretty sure no. I mean try telling a girl "I want to be with you" after she tells you "I love you" and you pretty much deserve to be kicked in the nuts.

But then again you might want to read this

http://japanese.about.com/library/weekly/aa021101a.htm
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 06:20   Link #3
jianfish
Looking for something

I am not a westerner and either my understanding of Jap is some way off or perhaps "I want to be with you" just means "I want to be with you" and nothing else.

Or perhaps they go from "I want to be with you" to "I like you " and finally to "I love you." in stages.

If you give me a penny for every guy that deserves to be kicked in the nut, I could fund my own anime production.
Old 2007-04-15, 07:00   Link #4
Cythraul

Ah My Goddess universe has nothing to do with real life or real people anywhere on the planet. The reason they behave like that is that if they ever properly confessed they loved each other, the series would end. No more series, no more money for the makers.

In many ways, it would be for the best if it did: drawing out a straigthforward romance for nearly 20 ****ING YEARS is a bit much.
Cythraul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 03:15   Link #5
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Just for information, in Japan, usually people confess their love by using phrase like this :
"Ore wa omae no koto suki desu" (masculine)
"Watashi wa anata no koto suki desu" (feminime)
Which literally mean :
"I like you"
NOT "I love you", i love you would be something like :
"Omae wo aishiteru" (masc.)
"Anata wo aishiteru" (fem.)

In Japanese culture saying "I like you" will probably about the same as "I love you". Why I can assume like this? Well, because in my country people also use the word "like" rather than "love" for everyday language confession.

So... I think that "I like that part of you" (something like "Sonna tokoro ga suki"). Use the same meaning of "like" as above.

For "I want to be with you"... it's all depend on the content. For Ah! My Goddess!!, i think you could say it's "I love you, would you be with me forever?".

Well... that's all just my opinion though...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 22:30   Link #6
jianfish
Looking for something

Well, I guess its a one off in the case of AMG then.

Thanks for the insight.