AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-04-19, 00:19   Link #1
-R6-

Smile Need recommendations for motherboard and case

Hello guys...

As stated in the topic I need some recommendations from you guys of motherboards and cases, below I will tell you what I want to do and what I am looking for so you can help me out

Heres what I want to do:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600
Graphics Card: 8800GTX
RAM: 2 x 1GB
Hard Disks: 2 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda
+ Other essential stuff like Hard drives...blah blah blah

I want a motherboard that can support all of these things, I've looked around for some motherboards but haven't really found the right one for me, the only one I liked is the Nvidia 680i SLI because I want a gaming PC, I think I haven't found the right one because I lack experience with motherboards, please help me by telling me difference between Nvidia's motherboards and Intel's and which is better for my needs.

Okay and the other thing, I will be kinda needing a case as well, I've been searching for one and I found the Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 to be eye-catching, but it seems too huge. I am looking for a gaming case which really looks awesome and has A LOT of accessories but not too huge.

Thanx in advance.
-R6- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 02:39   Link #2
ImClueless
Rawr

It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend and what features you want on the motherboard. Pretty much all 680i chipset boards will support the setup you posted since it is a pretty new chipset. The newer Intel chipsets like 965 and 975 will too. Motherboards come with all kinds of features like RAID, firewire, multiple LAN, better sound, etc. Those all factor into the price. Going with 680i pushes up the price. Do you really need SLI? Will you be getting a second exact same card? As for the difference between Nvidia and Intel chipsets, Intel ones do not support SLI and tend to be cheaper as a result. The performance difference is really quite minor. The only other consideration is overclocking, but the BIOS and the manufacturer or a particular board has a much bigger impact on that.

As for the case it also depends on how much cash you want to spend. What is important though is adequate cooling and a good power supply. So get a case with at least a rear output fan and probably a instake fan too. The more fans the better cooling, but you have to balance that out with the additional noise. Cheaping out on cooling can kill your components too. Cheaping out on the power supply could cost you your expensive components when it fails. (Cheaping out on cooling can kill your components too, especially if overclocking or in hot weather. It happened to me....fried the my cpu motherboard and psu) This is especially true since you will be running a power hungry video card and multiple hard drives. So try not to get a cheapo case with the power supply included unless you know that the PSU is a good reliable one. There are so many choices for cases out there so it is hard to recommend just one.

Last edited by ImClueless; 2007-04-19 at 02:51. Reason: additional lines
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 20:34   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless View Post
As for the difference between Nvidia and Intel chipsets, Intel ones do not support SLI and tend to be cheaper as a result. The performance difference is really quite minor.
I think SLI may be better thought of as an investment - that is, you can buy a single card now, and in the future when your card is struggling, perhaps you can throw in a second card to boost your capabilities. Makes nicer use of older hardware. Then again, I'm not a gamer anymore, and I don't know how useful SLI or Crossfire really are.

Case: what do you want, besides looks? When I look for a case, I want something that's a pleasure to work with (I open mine up a lot), has a lot of room for expansion (many bays)... and so on. I'm currently eying the quiet style cases, since I've also become a noise reduction nut. If you're a hardcore gamer, the noise may not matter to you, but if you think you'll be running your system hard you might want something with many auxillary fan slots available. I've put extra fans into my system using twist-ties, and while it gets the job done, it isn't pretty and requires a bit of creativity. If you're not thinking of expanding much, how many bays you have may not be a big deal. For example, how many hard drives do you expect to be running with? Or are you a fan of externals? (In which case, make sure to go with a board that has a lot of USB ports, perhaps).
Old 2007-04-19, 21:14   Link #4
bob46

I may be wrong but I think this site, (http://www.smartratings.com/computers/), can provide you with some answers in your search of finding the right motherboard based on the specifications that you enumerated. I think it's worth to give it a look. Just a suggestion.
bob46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 21:31   Link #5
Isako
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Isako
Intel boards and chipsets are not my specialty, but I can tell you a few things about the video card. Unless you plan on using Windows Vista soon, there is no point on spending all that money for a DX 10 card like that. If you plan on installing XP, stick with a 7 series nvida and get an 8 seris when you go vista. (unless you really want a DX10 card)

Also for a SLI setup, I;d recommend getting cases that allow you to buy your PSU separately(or make it easy to detach the pre-shipped one),because usually the case PSUs are either underpowered on the 12v rails or they are not SLI certified. For a card like 8800, most pre-shipped PSU(power supplys) don't have it in them to support it and your peripherals stably. If you go on the video cards manufactures site, it will usually tell you what kind of power supply you need.You will sometimes see this in your mobo manual as well, stating how many perphialps you could hook up with the given wattage from the PSU to keep everything stable

Also, it is worth noting that if you don't get a full tower ATX case(the insanely large ones),you should check and make sure your mobo dimensions are supported by that case.
Isako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 21:42   Link #6
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
You can go to http://www.newegg.com/ and go filter the choices there. I'm sure you'll find something that's compatible or fairly close. Not to mention that their stuff are cheaper than anywhere I've looked.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 12:37   Link #7
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
As far as I can tell, most cases support the 9x12 mobo size. What you should be really looking at is a nice clearance around your PCI Slots. The 8800GTXs are HUGE. Seriously, my 8800GTS is 9 inches long, and the GTX is even bigger. I say this because my case has the hard-drive bay right around the mobo area, and if I were to install a GTX in there, I don't know if it would fit.

I agree with Ledgem in that the SLI can be thought as more of an investment - If you have a lot of cash to spare, get two GTXs right away and get over with it. If money matters, just get one and wait a few years until that card is struggling to keep up with the games you play. Dude, one GTX by itself is a MONSTER. Seriously, that thing destroys every single benchmark test around there, and I've seen instances where it performs better than two x1950s in Crossfire. So it's something to keep in mind: one of these will get you a long way.

And about the motherboard issue... Well, if you're planning on going SLI and Intel, there're really very few choices for you. However, I'll warn you: The 680i, being the new chip that it is, has been having a lot of problems. I'm a member at the EVGA forums, and the amount of people having trouble with this motherboard is enormous. Of course many of them are hardcore overclockers who aren't satisfied if their system isn't pushing 180% of its normal capabilities, but I digress.

The point is that, if you're really hoping for an SLI system, get SLI-compatible components ( Memory/PSU ), buy extended warranty on whatever matters and hope for the best. You can be like me: My 680i rig has caused me nothing but joy ( after I had to pay for it, that is ) and the only thing I had to do was RMA the mobo because it wouldn't let me overclock a quad-core over 1300FSB. Or you can be like some of the users in the boards: Fried memory after a month, problems with Sata and IDE drivers, yare yare.

But even though the number of people having problems seems to be large, it's only a fraction of the people who're using these boards, so keep it in mind.

And about the case... Like I said, if you plan on going SLI with GTX's, you need either a Mid-tower case, or even better, a full-tower ATX. These things run HOT, and the airflow you get from a larger case can only benefit you on this. But again, it all comes down to how much you want to spend. There are cases with six, eight fans on their side-panels, great for quality air-cooling. But these things cost well over $150. So my advice is: Get a cheap one you like, buy some 120mm fans and mod that thing yourself. That's what I'll be doing - Replacing my window with a piece of acrylic out of Home-depot and plugging four 120mm fans infront of it. Not pretty, but hella useful.

Good luck!

PS.: Definitely use newegg. And when buying thermal paste, buy the MASCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu. Best thermal compound in the market. 'Nuff said.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 14:57   Link #8
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
PS.: Definitely use newegg. And when buying thermal paste, buy the MASCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu. Best thermal compound in the market. 'Nuff said.
I recommend NewEgg in general, but also keep an eye on Outpost.com's weekly specials. There are some crazy good deals you can get in there (through one of their deals, I upgraded my entire system for under $150 - granted, it's not state-of-the-art by any means, but it made a big difference).
Old 2007-04-20, 17:13   Link #9
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
I recommend NewEgg in general, but also keep an eye on Outpost.com's weekly specials. There are some crazy good deals you can get in there (through one of their deals, I upgraded my entire system for under $150 - granted, it's not state-of-the-art by any means, but it made a big difference).
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check it out the next time I have to upgrade ( Not expecting it to be very soon, though <_< ).

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote