AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-04-23, 10:14   Link #1
G.U.N.D.A.M

Having a problem with opening files in Virtual Dub

When i open files in Virtual dub i keep getting this message
couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unknown), it says that it requires video for windows (VFW)
Note: i have CCCP
G.U.N.D.A.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 10:37   Link #2
Tiberium Wolf

CCCP don't install codecs in your system so that's why you can't open the file.

If you want to have codecs in your system I suggest you install kite mega codec pack.
Tiberium Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 11:05   Link #3
G.U.N.D.A.M

THIS IS BAD
when i install K-lite mega codec pack i can't play MKV files on Zoom Player i used to play all of my videos in BS player but BS can't open MKV files unlike zplayer -_-"
i'll try to install zoom player pro and see if it'll work.
Old 2007-04-23, 13:05   Link #4
martino
makes no files now

VirtualDub(Mod) uses VfW (Video for Windows) to load the video, as opposed to DirectShow (which is used by media players). You have to install the VfW component for that specific video. For XviD I would personally recommend Koepi's build from here. It can decode DivX as well, and very well too as opposed to the DivX VfW one.

You can also enable VfW decoding in FFDShow, by opening up the VFW Configuration window, moving to the Decoder tab, and enabling the decoder that you want for the specific format (in most cases it's libavcodec).

Also, remove K-Lite and install CCCP back on. That should solve your other problems. And CCCP does install codecs. Read it's full name out loud; Combined Community Codec Pack. So it DOES contain codecs.

As a side note, in AviSynth AviSource() uses VfW, and DirectShowSource() uses DirectShow. The latter doesn't support frame accurate seeking, that's why AviSource() is more reliable when it comes to precision, however it can be used with AVI files only.
Old 2007-04-23, 14:10   Link #5
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Oh my dear pain... K-Lite was recommended for encoding? ;-;

You could have installed just Xvid... does sanity enter into people's minds nowadays :P. martino otherwise covered up the rest. Lets not recommend K-Lite for encoding (or at all, lol) anymore shall we n_n.

Uninstall K-Lite completely, re-install CCCP, make sure reset all settings is checked at the end. Either follow martino's instructions for setting up the VfW decoders or just install Xvid which comes with a VfW encoder/decoder.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 17:11   Link #6
G.U.N.D.A.M

Quote:
Combined Community Codec Pack. So it DOES contain codecs
it contain codecs all right but i can't open them in Virtual Dub nor Virtual Dub Mod and i tried to open some MKV files in Virtual Dub Mod but there's an error when i had K-lite codec i didn't have to install anything and i hate having too many programs in my pc i think i'll just install k-lite codec pack
Old 2007-04-24, 01:56   Link #7
martino
makes no files now

Did you actually at least read the 3rd and 4th post in this thread properly? To me it looks like not. You say that you hate having too many programs on your computer? You are contradicting yourself... K-Lite installs so much crap whether you like it or not! CCCP installs only what is needed, and as it has been mentioned before, install that damn XviD thing along with CCCP (and you WILL be able to open XviD/DivX AVI files in VDub for sure). Got it?

As for MKV in VDubMod, you'll have to be lucky to be able to open them in it. I think the condition is that the file had to be encoded and put into the AVI container, and then muxed to MKV. However I'm not completely sure about this.
Old 2007-04-24, 06:09   Link #8
Tiberium Wolf

I am using k-lite codec pack and i have no problems at all. Well... if I had I would solved i easely anyway.

G.U.N.D.A.M > I don't use other players except for mpc and winamp. Can't help you with BS.

martino > I think he meant he didn't want to have lots of programs individualy installed. That is installing individually all those codecs in k-lite is different that installing k-lite install all that for you.

Nicholi > I didn't say k-lite was recommended for encoding. There are times when ppl just want to open 1 damn file and just cut op out or something like that and if file can have codec other than xvid then it's a hassle to find it and install it. Besides if you install several codecs individually you end up with your uninstall window with loads or more uninstall plus more start menus folders.
Tiberium Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 06:40   Link #9
G.U.N.D.A.M

Tiberium Wolf u just said what i was thinking >_<
i installed k-lite codec and everything worked perfectly cuz it copied the filters and codecs in the system folder.
Quote:
K-Lite installs so much crap whether you like it or not!
actually u can choose what u want if don't want so much crap then just don't install them (Looking forward for better CCCP releases).
I have to preview my posts so that i don't sound like a jackass .
Old 2007-04-24, 06:51   Link #10
martino
makes no files now

Hehe... Hopefully you know that many of the codecs/splitters and other stuff that K-Lite offers are somewhat old, untested for incompatibility issues and other stuff. For example it offers you to install Gabest's Splitter, now...you don't really want that do you? It has not been updated for who knows how many months if not years (since gabest has disappeared basically AFAIK). And someone who at least tries to offer a codec pack should know what is good and not. K-Lite just simply proves the opposite. Jush have a read here and here.</rant>

Now, you know that CCCP comes with EVRYTHING that you need to decode ANY type of video (and audio) through whatever way you want (DirectShow or VfW) to? You just need to enable the damn setting and you're set. No need to load your system with a crapload of codecs and splitters which are most likely going to screw up your playback (trust me, been there before and don't want that to happen again!). You just need to enable the setting.

Quote:
You can also enable VfW decoding in FFDShow, by opening up the VFW Configuration window, moving to the Decoder tab, and enabling the decoder that you want for the specific format (in most cases it's libavcodec).
Is this so hard to do? Can't be harder than installing K-Lite and bashing your head on the table when trying to choose from the shitload choices as to which codec/splitter to install and which not.

<offtopic>Better CCCP releases? Huh? It works, and works well. I use it for nearly everything, even encoding, and it has never failed me. I personally don't really see what could be improved, apart from a few suggestions which have been put forward already. However I'm sure that if you have something SENSIBLE to suggest, then some people would be interested in hearing it.</offtopic>

Last edited by martino; 2007-04-24 at 07:28.
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 07:30   Link #11
G.U.N.D.A.M

Quote:
I DID THAT ALREADY BUT IT DOSEN'T WORK really i'm not that stupid xD, i'm still sticking with k-lite codec and about gabests splitter (u don't have to install it).