AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-23, 03:09   Link #1601
Sheba
*singing In the Navy*
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base partying with the Sendai sisters
Age: 34
Quote:

And yes some people really do think that loli-moe is the absolute pinnacle of storytelling
Your paranoia is at work again and it is unhealthy.

P.S: I like my mo, but if I really want breathtaking storytelling or characterization I'll always go for the BIG WALL OF TEXT found in classics like Foucault's Pendulum, Dune or Earthsea. And as for war genre, there are wonderful things like Das Boot or Platoon.

PPS: Now if I want to be fair with the japanese media, my favorite storytelling go to Miura's "Berserk", Clamp's "RG Veda", Kishiro's "Gunnm" and "Gunnm": Last Order, Otomo's "Akira", Araki's "JoJo Bizarre Adventure", Endo's "Eden". And my attention is caught by Shindo's "Red Eyes", it have the potential to win or fail epic and it is good so far, it deals with war, do it as gritty as possible and mechs are as "realistic" as I can assume them doable, ressource-wise, for they are powered armorsuits (when they are taller than a 10 meters building, does feats that would be almost impossible for an human pilot even assisted with the most powered operating system as we can imagine, I have goosebumps. So I am biased in favor of powersuits and cyborgs).

Last edited by Sheba; 2007-04-23 at 03:23.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 03:25   Link #1602
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
@Kaioshin-chan (since people were complaining about me quoting our moe little tsundere the last time...)

Well, okay. So, first I'll state that I'm not intending to pick on you when I'm putting forth my next statements.

Now that we have that clear.....well, okay. So you're poking fun at the rabid KyoAni fanboys.

Now, the question; why are you poking fun at the rabid KyoAni fanboys here? They generally don't lurk here, so your firing potshots at them in this forum kinda misses the point.

We here at Animesuki are just rational anime fans who just want to enjoy our anime in peace, that's all.

You really should take your little war to 2chan, where it belongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Your paranoia is at work again and it is unhealthy.
Quoted for truth.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 03:35   Link #1603
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
@Kaioshin-chan (since people were complaining about me quoting our moe little tsundere the last time...)

Well, okay. So, first I'll state that I'm not intending to pick on you when I'm putting forth my next statements.

Now that we have that clear.....well, okay. So you're poking fun at the rabid KyoAni fanboys.

Now, the question; why are you poking fun at the rabid KyoAni fanboys here? They generally don't lurk here, so your firing potshots at them in this forum kinda misses the point.

We here at Animesuki are just rational anime fans who just want to enjoy our anime in peace, that's all.

You really should take your little war to 2chan, where it belongs.



Quoted for truth.
I'm pretty active elsewhere actually. Or rather I was until I stopped bothering to care when things worked out regarding more variety in anime this season. It just keeps building each week so I'm just kind of poking around. I don't even think I dislike loli-moe stuff anymore. I've developed a tolerance that borders on a very mild liking of some of it. Or at least it amuses me more now, rather than upsets me. It's just there now rather than all that's there. I can easily live with that and accept loli-moe as it comes. So what else is it you want from me now?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 05:28   Link #1604
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Let's see, was there anything else...?

*thinks*

Nah. Not for the moment....I think.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 08:22   Link #1605
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United States
When I showed my sister in law the Lucky Channel segment from episode 1 of Lucky Star, she asked me about Akira Kogami's sleeves. They are several sizes too long for her. I told her it was a Japanese joke. After giving it some thought I came up with my own Akira Kogami Sleeve Theory. I think it is symbolic of the girl pop star being placed in a role usually taken by someone considerably older than her. On the other hand, it could be just because it is considered kawaii.
__________________
Lucky_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 08:36   Link #1606
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Day View Post
When I showed my sister in law the Lucky Channel segment from episode 1 of Lucky Star, she asked me about Akira Kogami's sleeves. They are several sizes too long for her. I told her it was a Japanese joke. After giving it some thought I came up with my own Akira Kogami Sleeve Theory. I think it is symbolic of the girl pop star being placed in a role usually taken by someone considerably older than her. On the other hand, it could be just because it is considered kawaii.
Actually, Traditional Chinese Opera features characters in very long sleeves too. Which I, being a chinese, am ashame to say have no idea regarding the logic behind this.
__________________
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 09:40   Link #1607
aorta
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Haha, my thoughts exactly. Kaibutsu-kun aired in 1968 and 1969, quite a few years before I was even born. No way I would've ever gotten that reference on my own; it's not like I have the luxury of having the influence of an anime-loving gamer-dad like some people.

Thanks for posting the vid, aorta.
Well I have to give credit to Level E for posting the original video, I just found a better copy of it.

Anyway that is from the 80's remake version (1980-1982), I don't know if the older version had the same talking at the intro because the openings for it on youtube all just begin with the song.
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 10:46   Link #1608
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
Once again, Anime News Network has posted their reviews of most of the new spring anime (Lucky Star included)....

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2007-04-22


__________________



CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 11:45   Link #1609
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bleeghhh
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
Well I have to give credit to Level E for posting the original video, I just found a better copy of it.

Anyway that is from the 80's remake version (1980-1982), I don't know if the older version had the same talking at the intro because the openings for it on youtube all just begin with the song.
Aah, I was wondering if it was the remake. I'd tell you why I assumed it was the first season, but I'm afraid it'd make some folks here feel very old. In either case, the anime is still older than me. XD
__________________
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 12:06   Link #1610
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN Review
The epic six and a half minute dialogue on the finer points of eating was obviously intended to be humorous, but instead resembles an interminable anime comedy sketch directed by the chatty half of Quentin Tarantino if he were lobotomized with a sticky-sweet lollipop.
Imagining Tarantino directing an episode of Lucky Star has had me giggling since I read that.


Konata: Say, Miyuki - do think everything happens for a reason?
(Car hits a bump)
*Bang*
All: D :


...... Sorry
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 12:18   Link #1611
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Imagining Tarantino directing an episode of Lucky Star has had me giggling since I read that.

Konata: Say, Miyuki - do think everything happens for a reason?
(Car hits a bump)
*Bang*
All: D :

...... Sorry
Oh man! I LOVED that scene! Especially when they had to clean up.

Anyway, I would take ANN's "reviews" with a pinch of salt, and they admitted as much in their disclaimers (at the beginning of their "reviews"). After all, it is just one person's opinion of Lucky Star, and not a collective judgement.

Still, I would love to see a homage to Quentin Tarantino in an episode of Lucky Star.

Cheers.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 12:43   Link #1612
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Exactly.... it isn't really an ANN review... he's just this guy, you know? If you'll note, they gave pretty much all the 'romance/moe' related shows to him and he pretty much slams them all. I'm sure it drives up the hit rate on the site. Its rare I come across an ANN review that likes the sort of thing I like, so I long ago figured they lived on the other side of the anime spectrum and, if anything, they're kind of over-reaching by calling themselves the "anime news network" rather than the "some parts of the shounen news" spectrum or something similar.

Kind of like watching the Random Curiosity polls where it becomes rapidly clear that most of the polling group has specific tastes that are more narrowly defined than 'general anime'.
__________________

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-23 at 13:44.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 12:45   Link #1613
Telliamed
sensei no pet
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia, USA
Yay! It's button-pushing time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Sure Key has better loli-moe romance stories than most H-Game companies, but come on it's no Shakespeare.
Actually they kinda are. Well, maybe not Key, they'd be more like the pamphlet printers churning out lurid serials on cheap pulp. But I'd compare KyoAni to Shakespeare.

Not because I think they're that so great and people will still be talking about SHnY 400 years from now... But for a simple reason that many people fail to recognize --- something I believe is a significant contributor to the academic cultural gap in English-speaking countries --- Shakespeare was a pop artist.

Shakespeare used excessive violence, fanservice (including suggestions of yuri/yaoi), "l33t" speak (of a sorts), supernatural plots, and like KyoAni most of his stories are adaptations.

Most importantly, they're both in the business of providing quality entertainment to ordinary people at a reasonable price.

So people who regard Shakespeare as the pinnacle of English theatrical art, while disregarding modern forms of entertainment, and specifically criticizing the internet and television... They're just pompous morons.

If Lucky☆Star were a Shakespeare play?.... maybe Midsummer's Night Dream -- It's short with elements of self-parody. But L*S doesn't really have any pathos. Or with the ensemble cast, it's a bit like Much Ado About Nothing -- Konata would be Benedick, who's Kagami? Don John?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Still, I would love to see a homage to Quentin Tarantino in an episode of Lucky Star.
... Or vice-versa
__________________
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 14:01   Link #1614
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Exactly.... it isn't really an ANN review... he's just this guy, you know? If you'll note, they gave pretty much all the 'romance/moe' related shows to him and he pretty much slams them all. I'm sure it drives up the hit rate on the site. Its rare I come across an ANN review that likes the sort of thing I like, so I long ago figured they lived on the other side of the anime spectrum and, if anything, they're kind of over-reaching by calling themselves the "anime news network" rather than the "some parts of the shounen news" spectrum or something similar.

Kind of like watching the Random Curiosity polls where it becomes rapidly clear that most of the polling group has specific tastes that are more narrowly defined than 'general anime'.
And yet if you look at their Top 10 system of anime rankings though, it's all the newest most popular and hip shows. This is mostly because of the screwball weighting system they have when taking in votes. Basically none of them work properly in filtering out noise, it either favours whatever is new, whatever has the most votes, or and I kid you not, whoever has the history of voting when the votes are tallyed each day.

If you go to a blog you get bias, if you go to ANN you get bias, if you go to the fans you get bias, thus the only way theoretically possible to gauge something is to watch it yourself.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 14:46   Link #1615
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
If Lucky☆Star were a Shakespeare play?.... maybe Midsummer's Night Dream -- It's short with elements of self-parody. But L*S doesn't really have any pathos. Or with the ensemble cast, it's a bit like Much Ado About Nothing -- Konata would be Benedick, who's Kagami? Don John?



... Or vice-versa
Much Ado about Nothing is my absolute favorite Shakespeare play, but I can't really see Lucky☆Star as being that similar to it. Konata's no Benedick, IMHO.

You know, I was just considering what an anime adaptation of Much Ado would be like...Beatrice is the 16th century tsundere, and I can easily see Benedick being played by Tomokazu Sugita for his sarcasm and witty jabs. Hero will probably be a moe blob for anti-moe bloggers to attack, and Claudio will probably end up in some BL doujin. Ok, now I'm scaring myself.

So yeah, if any KyoAni production is like Much Ado, it's probably SHnY. Haruhi = Beatrice, Kyon = Benedick, Mikuru = Hero, Itsuki = Claudio. Taniguchi can be Verges and Tsuruya can be Dogberry, who will fail to deliver her message properly because she can't stop laughing.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 15:21   Link #1616
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Okay.. that was a funny mapping, Mirrinus <snort....>
It might be funny to see an "Omake Theatre SHnY production" of that.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 15:32   Link #1617
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, OR USA
Age: 51
Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
If Lucky☆Star were a Shakespeare play?.... maybe Midsummer's Night Dream -- It's short with elements of self-parody. But L*S doesn't really have any pathos. Or with the ensemble cast, it's a bit like Much Ado About Nothing -- Konata would be Benedick, who's Kagami? Don John?


Kagami is Beatrice. Duh! She exudes the same air of "I'm too good for any of you!" And showing up Konata is her favorite, if not sole, recreational pastime.

2+2=4. ALWAYS.
__________________
Michael Hopcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 16:19   Link #1618
Meophist
Tell me who I am.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
If you're going to compare anime to Shakespeare, why don't you guys just check out the new Romeo and Juliet anime instead(if you haven't already)?
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 16:25   Link #1619
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, OR USA
Age: 51
Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
If you're going to compare anime to Shakespeare, why don't you guys just check out the new Romeo and Juliet anime instead(if you haven't already)?
Because it's too obvious (and, IMHO, rather silly).
__________________
Michael Hopcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 16:47   Link #1620
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Re Shakespeare, Lucky Star is actually like The Tempest. Miyuki is Prospero, Kagami is Ariel, Tsukasa is Miranda, and of course Konata is Caliban!

Perhaps.
__________________

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, kyoto animation, moe, otaku, school life, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.