AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > sola

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-23, 17:41   Link #661
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
can some1 post or pm me some good Sola pictures?

or tell me where 2 find them

help would be appreciated
__________________
I don't make sigs anymore =[

My signature gallery
guiltygearxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 17:58   Link #662
Asrialys
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California
Age: 26
There are some scans near the front of the thread, if you don't already have them.
__________________
Asrialys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 18:08   Link #663
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
k i got the ones up 2 page 7 cuz there r just 2 many pages

and theres only 1 good non text version...(yeah im looking 4 clean ones)

man i really wish some1 can keep all pix in 1 post and update them cuz that would be really helpful
__________________
I don't make sigs anymore =[

My signature gallery
guiltygearxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 19:27   Link #664
zoozoc
Anime is my drug....
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oregon
Age: 24
i just realized that in episode 3, right before the intro, Matsuri is looking up at the sky by the window....
zoozoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 20:24   Link #665
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
this has been discussed and she said herself that shes fear of sunlight, not the sky itself
__________________
I don't make sigs anymore =[

My signature gallery
guiltygearxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 21:05   Link #666
kct
Walk dat crank yo
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kay El, M'sia
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to kct
And the fact that she clearly wishes to see the sky, under the sky.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 22:06   Link #667
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Since the sub files for this series are huge by typical standards, I'd really not prefer to download multiple groups to check..... I've had good luck with both Doremi and Lunar on past efforts. Can someone reflect on any style or translation differences to help me decide which group to spend my valuable byte trickle on?
(Don't just say one is "better" ... I just want to know what differentiates them (like font choice&color, video encode quality, translation literal or localized?).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 22:27   Link #668
solwyvern
▲wight
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Thanks for the great gifs/ AV's Pellisier. Rep you when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltygearxt View Post
can some1 post or pm me some good Sola pictures?
or tell me where 2 find them
help would be appreciated
I have yet to see any fanart of Sola. It seems all the artists right now are all making Lucky Star or Nanoha. =\

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=512

__________________

Last edited by solwyvern; 2007-04-23 at 23:08.
solwyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 22:33   Link #669
xat
Senior Member
*Fansubber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Since the sub files for this series are huge by typical standards, I'd really not prefer to download multiple groups to check..... I've had good luck with both Doremi and Lunar on past efforts. Can someone reflect on any style or translation differences to help me decide which group to spend my valuable byte trickle on?
(Don't just say one is "better" ... I just want to know what differentiates them (like font choice&color, video encode quality, translation literal or localized?).
Lunar definitely has a better track record than we do, however consensus on anidb seems to show that for sola in particular, you can't go wrong with any group (translation wise and in general).

Comments in favor of Doremi note more fitting typesetting (as in font choice, color) and better video quality. As for me, I control just about everything on the aesthetics front of Doremi's version so naturally I'm heavily biased. >.>

For the most part all groups are using the same raw sources, so I'm inclined to believe most people won't see too much of a quality difference. Ureshii might be opting to wait out for better raws (which seem to appear 1 to 2 weeks later)--not sure how they are for other aspects (not enough feedback for me to speculate, although one commenter seems to be very happy with them).
xat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 22:57   Link #670
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by solwyvern View Post
Thanks for the grat gifs/ AV's Pellisier. Rep you when I can.



I have yet to see any fanart of Sola. It seems all the artists right now are all making Lucky Star or Nanoha. =\

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=512

thx alot
__________________
I don't make sigs anymore =[

My signature gallery
guiltygearxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 23:09   Link #671
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
>>Sorrow-K and Ascaloth: I think male leads can be strong in various ways. This guy is a lot stronger than most male leads, it seems to me. He has something he's passionate about. He stuck with that stupid doll and wasn't that embarrassed when everyone hated it. His "I can see them" (pantsu) was fairly strong. He made a point of helping Matsuri when she was being attacked. He dared to bring her into his home. He isn't Aoba from Tokimeki, thank goodness.
Agreed, and I'll give him his due for not being an Urashima Keitaro or a Manaka Junpei. On the other hand, I don't remember bashing him for being a weak-ass wimp like the aforementioned two, I only said he was no 2k6 Yuuichi. That is, I didn't say he was spineless, just uninteresting thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Then to bring up the whole Yuuichi issue that everybody keeps mentioning, I'd prefer to think his strength is in being able to resist the pressure exhibited by the girls by being an even bigger jerk and annoyance about their quirks then they are. Examples would be his playing practical jokes on the Kitsune, the ultimate of tricksters in Japanese lore or his teasing Ayu about her uguuuu noise. I'm not entirely sure whether that qualifies as strength by virtue of character, or by character flaw, but from my point of view it appears to be the latter.
Again, how many episodes of Kanon have you managed thus far? 10 out of a possible 24, by my last reckoning? If so, then how is it that you can judge Yuuichi based on an incomplete understanding of his character?

Don't speak of that which you know not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anacone View Post
I was watching first ep again and this came to me... Someone was thinking where Matsuri gets the money for drinks... nowhere... she kicks the drinks out!!!
Eh, she DID say she put the coins into the machine before she started kicking it.....but of course, that's what she said, right? So how would we know for sure?


EDIT: Oh right, before I forget.

Pell, care to try an experiment with my current Matsuri avvie? That is, in place of the words "Power Clean" on the box of detergent that Matsuri is holding up, do you think you can replace them with my nick "Ascaloth"?

I'm thinking it'll go very well with my current "Good for stubborn stains!" theme.

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2007-04-23 at 23:50.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 23:49   Link #672
Telliamed
sensei no pet
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia, USA
The files are large? Doesn't seem that way to me. A glance at the front page of AS shows everything around the same size (including sola). h264 is 230 +/-10MB and XVid is 160 +/-15MB. There are two aberrations, Darker than Black and Gigantic Formula, but I think these are late HQ subs (DtB is episode 1).

Anyway, I'm happy with Doremi. I haven't looked at Lunar. I'm also running low on disk space. Nearly packed it full on Thursday. Had both Kanons sitting there.

-----
I'm kinda upset. I wanted to make an avatar of Mana's glare (episode 3 5:05-5:06). But at 100x100 you can't see any movement in the eyes. It would need to be exaggerated to become apparent. So if anyone wants to take a crack at it, I put the PSD of the frames on my website. http://whoopdedo.org/img/sola-mana2.7z

In the meantime, here's Mana at work:
__________________
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 00:06   Link #673
zoozoc
Anime is my drug....
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oregon
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltygearxt View Post
this has been discussed and she said herself that shes fear of sunlight, not the sky itself
yes i realize that, i simply find it funny that they go to great lengths to show she can't be in the sunlight or see a real blue sky, then she is standing right next to a window looking out into that same sky she was supposidly never suppose to see (well i guess they say walk under, but still)
zoozoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 00:16   Link #674
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by xat View Post
Lunar definitely has a better track record than we do, however consensus on anidb seems to show that for sola in particular, you can't go wrong with any group (translation wise and in general).

Comments in favor of Doremi note more fitting typesetting (as in font choice, color) and better video quality. As for me, I control just about everything on the aesthetics front of Doremi's version so naturally I'm heavily biased. >.>

For the most part all groups are using the same raw sources, so I'm inclined to believe most people won't see too much of a quality difference. Ureshii might be opting to wait out for better raws (which seem to appear 1 to 2 weeks later)--not sure how they are for other aspects (not enough feedback for me to speculate, although one commenter seems to be very happy with them).
Thanks very much for that unusually objective assessment ... most people seem to have more trouble doing that.

Why I'm whining about file size, a typical anime runs ~180MB but all the listings for sola are running 200-300+ MB outside of one or two XVid releases.
That's kind of an ouch for me given my net provider's ridiculous band caps (new Hughesnet limits are 400MB/24hrs total up+down with a 24 hr recovery cappage down to dialup speed ... effectively they just quartered everyone's daily throughput limits and pretty much guaranteed even Mom&Pop RV will get capped if they watch much video).
Yes, I'm trying to find another solution but telco/cable/rabidsquirrels are not an option or I wouldn't have the sat-isp in the first place, but thanks.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 00:33   Link #675
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
Here's the biased answer - get Doremi.
__________________
Do you like lesbian tendencies?
http://www.doremi-fansubs.com
ladholyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 00:36   Link #676
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladholyman View Post
Here's the biased answer - get Doremi.
Well, you translate it for Doremi, so of course you'll be biased.

Frankly it doesn't matter which group you get it from, just as long as more people are enjoying Sola.
__________________


AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 00:38   Link #677
iwubanime
FMP wubber
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Age: 29
Hmm i choose Doremi because they have a smaller resolution... my standalone dvd player doesn't allow sizes over like 740 wide :P

that means less re-encoding for me... thanks doremi!

EDIT: but as maceart said, as long as you can enjoy the episodes, you can't go wrong
__________________

iwubanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 00:39   Link #678
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
~ I'm kinda upset. I wanted to make an avatar of Mana's glare (episode 3 5:05-5:06). But at 100x100 you can't see any movement in the eyes. It would need to be exaggerated to become apparent. So if anyone wants to take a crack at it, I put the PSD of the frames on my website. http://whoopdedo.org/img/sola-mana2.7z ~
Woah... this one was a toughie.

100x100 for a proper full-facial shot is impossible, as Mana's hair is surprisingly wide. This reduced her eye-twitch to microscopic levels, and made it pointless.

Using a 100x80 format, we are able to squeeze in most of Mana's hair and retain a measure of eye-twitching. It is however, relatively hard to see, and if your screen resolution is higher than 1024x768, then you're in for an eye-straining session.



If we zoom in much further, to the point of encompassing only the eyes along with some facial details, minus anything below the nose, we are able to make the eye-twitching more visible. The 100x80 format was used so that the GIF would look nicer, as making it 100x100 would affect the aesthetics of it since the eyes would no longer be centred in the middle if we made it 100x100.



A third possibility would be to zoom in to one eye only, but I wanted to know whether you are okay with the second version first.

Cheers.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 00:52   Link #679
iwubanime
FMP wubber
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Age: 29
So, I haven't been keeping up with this thread. But what's the current verdict, does the anime community think that the main character will end up with Matsuri or Mana?

I couldn't tell if in episode 3, Mana and the male lead thought about the possibility of being bf and gf after Matsuri said it, or if they were truly saying no way that'd happen...
__________________

iwubanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 00:58   Link #680
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Thanks very much for that unusually objective assessment ... most people seem to have more trouble doing that.

Why I'm whining about file size, a typical anime runs ~180MB but all the listings for sola are running 200-300+ MB outside of one or two XVid releases.
That's kind of an ouch for me given my net provider's ridiculous band caps (new Hughesnet limits are 400MB/24hrs total up+down with a 24 hr recovery cappage down to dialup speed ... effectively they just quartered everyone's daily throughput limits and pretty much guaranteed even Mom&Pop RV will get capped if they watch much video).
Yes, I'm trying to find another solution but telco/cable/rabidsquirrels are not an option or I wouldn't have the sat-isp in the first place, but thanks.
Well, for me, I am sticking with [Doremi]. Lunar is good too, and if you choose to go with them, it's fine too. I chose [Doremi] because I started with them first, and I have the fansubbed Audio Drama Prologue and Trailer from them, so I am going with [Doremi] at this point for consistency sake.

Unless of course, [Doremi] suddenly suffers a severe malfunction meltdown and forces me to switch choices.

Cheers.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.